Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,155 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering Rapid City in retirement due to the close proximity to family in Twin Cities and Eau Claire area in Wisconsin. We suffered a great deal during the many years living there due to pretty severe winter depression. Winters are dark for months at a time in Minnesota/Wisconsin. We LOVE the winters in our current area (Prescott, AZ) Are Rapid City winters considered sunny? We love snow and the temps...as long as they are not sub-zero for weeks at a time aren't as big of a factor as SUNSHINE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 01:27 PM

4,172 posts, read 2,567,985 times
I had read somewhere before about the chinook winds that warm up RC at times in the winter. The front range of Colorado has them too here, and there, and it can help clear out the snow, and warm things up a bit. I found this thread about them in RC that may be encouraging for you. From what I understand Chinook means snow eater in some Native American language.

They do get their bad storms, but it doesn't stay around forever from what I can tell. It looks like I will be moving to RC too. September will be my last month where I am, God willing.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rapi...residents.html

Last edited by mlulu23; 08-23-2022 at 01:42 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 01:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbirdnerd View Post
My husband and I are considering Rapid City in retirement due to the close proximity to family in Twin Cities and Eau Claire area in Wisconsin. We suffered a great deal during the many years living there due to pretty severe winter depression. Winters are dark for months at a time in Minnesota/Wisconsin. We LOVE the winters in our current area (Prescott, AZ) Are Rapid City winters considered sunny? We love snow and the temps...as long as they are not sub-zero for weeks at a time aren't as big of a factor as SUNSHINE!!!
They are sunnier winters compared to further east, but due to the higher latitude I would still recommend Vitamin D supplements throughout the winter season.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:11 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbirdnerd View Post
The winter weather in Rapid City definitely is better than in the eastern part of SD. You know what isn't better? Putting up with the overflow of tourist traffic all summer long. In the hills area I recommend checking out Belle Fourche. Generally it's still warmer in the winter than eastern SD, but it's just far enough outside of the hills where you can enjoy your OWN town without being overrun with the tourists.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:52 PM

165 posts, read 146,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The winter weather in Rapid City definitely is better than in the eastern part of SD. You know what isn't better? Putting up with the overflow of tourist traffic all summer long. In the hills area I recommend checking out Belle Fourche. Generally it's still warmer in the winter than eastern SD, but it's just far enough outside of the hills where you can enjoy your OWN town without being overrun with the tourists.
OP, There's info out there for the number of "sunny" days per year for most locations. US avg is 205, Prescott AZ is ~270, Rapid City is 226, and it's 208 in Sioux Falls. When I was working, I always thought our winters here in Sioux Falls were more sunny that not, but I was inside a lot. Once I quit working, I noticed it's not nearly as sunny in winter as I thought. But depending on where you are in Rapid City (or up in the Hills), you will have to deal with a lot of tourists in the summer. The northern Hills (like Lead or Spearfish) are supposed to be snowier than the southern Hills (like Hill City). Rapid City itself is warmer in winter but hotter in summer than the eastern part of state. The Rapid area does get it's share of storms that miss east part of state, and they do on occasion get subzero temps.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:39 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,105,500 times
Compared to Great Falls, MT where we used to live, Rapid City winters are much milder. Compared to Boise, ID where we live now, it's a bit more extreme.

The in-laws lived in Piedmont, SD (Rapid City suburb) for many years, and our son went to college in Rapid City. We made 3 - 5 trips a year there for about 17 years, to include Dec and Jan. As the in-laws health failed we made more and longer trips, and my wife stayed for several weeks at a time. Most of the winter trips it's pretty sunny and cold, though there were several storms that hit while we were there. Except in the middle of a storm, and immediately after, you can get out and about all winter. The Chinook Winds are real (and blow hard). Often it was cold and snowy, with drifts on rural roads and across driveways, then the wind would change and in mid-Jan (for example), it would warm up to the mid-50s or low 60s for several days and most of the snow would melt. That weather pattern would repeat several times each winter. It would still freeze at night, and many days will be below zero at night, maybe a few daytime highs below zero, but not for long stretches.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:52 AM

While reading about chinooks I found this which may be of interest to you.

"Spearfish, South Dakota holds the world record for the fastest increase in temperature. On January 22, 1943, the temperature increased from −4 °F to 45 °F (−20 °C to 7 °C), a 49 °F (27 °C) change in temperature. This occurred in just 2 minutes.[18][19][20]

Rapid City, South Dakota holds the world record for the fastest decrease in temperature. On January 10, 1911, the temperature decreased from 60 °F to 13 °F (16 °C to −11 °C), a 47 °F (26.1 °C) change in temperature.[21]"

I found this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

Old 08-24-2022, 11:45 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
While reading about chinooks I found this which may be of interest to you.

"Spearfish, South Dakota holds the world record for the fastest increase in temperature. On January 22, 1943, the temperature increased from −4 °F to 45 °F (−20 °C to 7 °C), a 49 °F (27 °C) change in temperature. This occurred in just 2 minutes.[18][19][20]

Rapid City, South Dakota holds the world record for the fastest decrease in temperature. On January 10, 1911, the temperature decreased from 60 °F to 13 °F (16 °C to −11 °C), a 47 °F (26.1 °C) change in temperature.[21]"

I found this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind
Can you imagine if either of these happened recently. The fanatics from the climate change bunch (not just the people that recognize it as a possibility) would be screaming that we're doomed. The sky is falling.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Can you imagine if either of these happened recently. The fanatics from the climate change bunch (not just the people that recognize it as a possibility) would be screaming that we're doomed. The sky is falling.
I know right. Looking for any reason to spread panic. SD just has some freaky weather, that's all.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:15 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Chinooks will always occur, that will never change. Warmer air holds more moisture. Therefore, warming average temperatures increase evaporation rates of soil moisture out of the ground. Flooding disasters have become much more common as precipitable water values are often more elevated in areas that now see events that produce 2-3'' per hour rainfall rates. Just some meteorology and climatology 101 factoids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City