Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:28 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I have also heard that Hill City is becoming "the next Jackson Hole" but I don't really see it. Surem the town has grown a lot over the years and there are a lot of art galleries up there, but I know some pretty "trashy" people from up in that area.
Hard to say but I think that is unlikely. There are many rumors that the "BILLIONAIRES" are running the lowly millionaires out of Jackson Hole. Hill City doesn't seem to have changed much in the many years I've been through there. I actually like Hill City quite a bit too but my wife doesn't for some reason. You can still buy a home and or piece of property for less than 200K in Hill City or the area, I don't think you can do that in Jackson Hole but I could be wrong. I LOVE the Hill City road that runs to Keystone. I'd live on that road in a second, even with the train running through there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:53 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsdreams View Post
I LOVE the Hill City road that runs to Keystone. I'd live on that road in a second, even with the train running through there.
Oh weird that you say that! My family has a cabin just off of that road in Lafferty Gulch!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 AM

393 posts, read 1,069,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Oh weird that you say that! My family has a cabin just off of that road in Lafferty Gulch!
DannyB, it sure seems like you and I keep coming up with commonalities, huh? You were shocked when I took the picture of Harrison Ford in the Millstone too. I really do love that area. I'd never been on the 1880 train until this trip and I'm SO glad I did it. Those open meadows and views through there are priceless. Thanks for always responding to my posts. You really make me feel like I have a little more connection to the area I love so much.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsdreams View Post
I'd live on that road in a second, even with the train running through there.
I lived off that road when I was a kid. We lived in a valley, set back from the road. It was so quiet out there. Just the wind in the trees, the whistle from the 1880 train, and the occasional helicopter tour overhead. I'm so nostalgic for it.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:09 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluttergirl View Post
I lived off that road when I was a kid. We lived in a valley, set back from the road. It was so quiet out there. Just the wind in the trees, the whistle from the 1880 train, and the occasional helicopter tour overhead. I'm so nostalgic for it.
You were a child in 1880???

Just joking. Welcome to the forum. I see that you live in Austin and was curious how you like it down there since you'd grown up here.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 7,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
You were a child in 1880???

Just joking. Welcome to the forum. I see that you live in Austin and was curious how you like it down there since you'd grown up here.
Ha! I lived in Keystone from 1974 to 1986, across from the Camp Judson Baptist camp on Old Hill City Road. Does anyone know if that large cross/crucifix is still on the top of the hill/mountain there? I can't seem to find any recent pictures of it. From Google Maps, it looks like "Hardesty Road" runs through the property now.

Anyhoo, I was born in North Dakota in 1974 and my parents moved us to Keystone right after. I went to grade school in what is now the Keystone Museum. Kinder through 5th grade. When I started the 6th grade I had to go to Hill City. That was the last year the Keystone school was open. Oy, did I mention that I'm nostalgic?

Texas is a great state and Austin is especially wonderful for outdoor activities. The hill country is nearby and the Gulf of Mexico is a few hours away (go away, Ike!). However, I would much rather live in the Black Hills. Maybe I'm just biased because I had such a magical childhood there. My dad moved us to Texas because he hated the SD winters.

Here is a picture that my dad took from a helicopter back in the early '80s. It's of our driveway & house. We were surrounded by Forest Service land, so you can see how isolated it was.

http://flickr.com/photos/fluttergirl/2277962357

And now I'm going to look through the 30+ pages of SD photos that have been posted.

Sorry about my rambling. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Last edited by Fluttergirl; 09-12-2008 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Had to attach a pic.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:55 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Fluttergirl, that's really neat that you went to Keystone's school. I had no idea there was ever a school there! You must be familiar with Lafferty Gulch then. My family has a cabin up there and I love going there in the summer.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:06 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Now there ya go, Flutter~your Dad should've done the photography for Man Vs. Wild.

It is nice in the Hills, but I totally understand your Dad's reasoning. Winters can be rough here~at least I don't like them.

Austin is supposed to be such an artsy, musical city and is considered to be a very nice area of Tx. I'm a pic addict so I always browse the Tx. pics. I really like the Gulf area (well, I used to until today) and the Hill Country there. Marble Falls mustn't be TOO far away and that looks like a beautiful little town. Oh sorry, I kinda got off topic, didn't I?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM

384 posts, read 1,669,738 times
Default Thought I'd jump in!

Hi we lived between Sturgis and Deadwood and have a house valued at $390K--it's over 4000sq ft and has 5 bdrms and almost an acre in Boulder Canyon--we are not millionaires by any means----dh is a physician, the person who owned the house before us also a physician and the original owner was a lawyer. The taxes on the house are $4000 a year--paid in two installments. The house is over 20 yrs old so I just tell you this to give you an example. Many people in the area did or do work in the health care field--probably mostly Ft. Meade or other area hospitals, but some are also retired, or were teachers (dual income families), and othe professionals--again no millionaires that I am aware of! I recently looked on realtor.com and saw much more expensive homes---600K and up so maybe you are right---that kind of money has to be coming from somewhere! We also miss the hills and plan on visiting next summer! We will stay at our house if it hasn't sold---but just in case I checked vrbo (vacation rent by owner) and the homes for vacation rentals are extraoridinarily high I thought!! Has anyone seen these houses going for $500 a night and not even during Rally!!! Someone must be paying that price cuz I haven't seen them going down recently. We may be camping at the KOA!

I also live in Texas now--but in West Texas but we plan on visiting Austin over Christmas--can't wait!!!

Pam (We lived in Sturgis from 1994-2006)

Last edited by Jammie; 09-13-2008 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: edited~"For sale".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City