Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 PM

46 posts, read 163,889 times

Advertisements

Howdy all! I just Moved to Rapid City yesterday. I'm stationed at Ellsworth Air Force Bace. I have looked around on other threads to find an answer but I still have a few questions. I am wondering what all there is to do in Rapid City!

Here's my situation: I'm a lot older (25) than all the other airman(18-20) that I am living near so the things i enjoy are a little more complex than what they enjoy. They love to party and watch MTV. I like bowling, sight-seeing, computers, statistics and math. Also the airman that are actually my age are either married and have a family, are NCOs (we can't inter-mingle), or NCO's that are married, etc...

I've done the college thing and I have done enough partying for an entire lifetime so i won't be looking for any night clubs or anything, sports bars are good though. Church really isn't my thing either. I also won't be driving my car here from Texas until May-ish(I hate driving on snow) so i gotta keep my entertainment options close to the base.

To try to keep this short, what can a 25 year old, single, male Airman First Class do in Rapid City? Where might I find a place to meet other people (Civilian or Military) close to my demographic?

ANY input would be extremely helpful!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:13 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,106 times
If you like Hockey - the Rush games are great!

Are you into outdoor activities - you could get into a climbing or hiking group - the city rec dept also has league play for many sports that are pretty fun.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Anything outdoors, Hockey. If you look around there should be something that will interest you.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM

thanks guys! i'm not much for the cold. I guess i'll get used to it eventually. When you say outdoor activities, is it the general stuff? like hiking, fishing, etc? I'm all for that! where are the best places for this? And is mt rushmore pretty cool? i'm actually excited to see it!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Hiking, biking, climbing, fishing off roading are options

Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 PM

29 posts, read 83,010 times
well, there aren't any bus services that runs to the base to RC.

So, unless you have a car, not much options.

When i was at EAFB, they had a bowling alley, a club for airman and NCO's, a shop where you can take apart cars, ceramics, and other neat things at the hobby shop.

the base has a bus.

There's also an airplane museum right there that's cool. Its free.

I would suggest getting a map and a bus schedule.

Now in Box Elder - they have some bars there. Some base personnel go there.

They don't have much.

In Rapid there's:

If you like playing pool - one bar i like is right across from the college - school of mines - called "THE HALL INN".

its a small bar, not rowdy, jukebox music, pool tables and draft.

There's also bowling centers, ice skating, indoor swimming.

And they have a mall with a movie theater near by.

Hope you like this cold weather! LOL

Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Yes, Mt. Rushmore is definitely worth seeing. It's majestic and awesome.

You have nice weather heading your direction and your temps will be in the 40s so you'll be able to get out and about. I don't think any of us liked the terrible cold stretch we just had.

Welcome to South Dakota.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 PM

29 posts, read 83,010 times
there's lots of hiking trails in the hills, lots of lakes to go fishing in. Pick up a tourist map. I believe the tourist info place is by the truck stop off of 90.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
There should be a rec department on base and they'll have flyers and coupons for all the attractions in the hills. Even with no transportation, you can get a friend or buddy to drive to one of these events during a day trip.

I grew up in Rapid City and never run out of things to do, and I walked to all of it.

Dinosaur Park up on Skyline Dr.
The Hangmans Tree on Skyline Dr.
The NDN museum at the split.
The YMCA was outstanding.
Always something going on at the Center. Wasn't there when I grew up. haha
Canyon Lake for fishing, pick-nicking and fun. Even in the winter.
Duhamel used to have a museum. Cowboys used to ride for hundreds of miles to get a Duhamel saddle. I know. I have a 1905.
Downtown, even if you don't drink, the supper clubs.
This History of Rapid City is astounding. Get a feel for it.
Caves up Cleghorn Canyon.
Fly fishing up Cleghorn.
The Fish Hatchery.
FFA Barn used to have something going on all the time. (Fair Grounds)
Rapid City Speedway during the summer.

Highly recommend you donate some time to the Senior Citizens Center. Them old folks can teach you more about Rapid City then any history book can. And it's a great deal of fun. I set up the internet and taught Seniors about email and communicating with their grandkids. Nothing more rewarding then when a 90 year old gets their first "Dear Grandpa" email.

So much has changed with Rapid City since I've been there. But you'll see once you get started into learning a new area.

By the way. "Thank you for your service." I'm an old vet myself.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Once again, thanks everybody! As long as the weather keeps up the way it is(i know it wont) I'm startin to like SD a lot more! I went to Mt Rushmore and Sylvan Lake today and it was great!!(my friend fell through an ice-fishing hole, it was just one leg. he's fine. It was hilarious) I Look forward to more outdoor stuff!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
View detailed profiles of: