Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:52 PM

60 posts, read 242,787 times

Advertisements

I appreciate your comps vs Myrtle Beach, but the rape stats are horrendous. Is there a reason why the rape stats are so high. Is that domestic too?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Rape is mostly domestic in Rapid City. I've never heard of a -some girl jogging along then getting raped in the shrubs -story. Many people believe that rape stats are so high here because we have a higher amount of homeless people than most other midwestern towns and then we are also so close to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

Also, you have to remember that rape stats go on reported rapes. A high statistic may be considered good because it means that people aren't afraid to report their rapes. Many communities have high rape incidents but they're not as encouraged to report it.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikie View Post
I appreciate your comps vs Myrtle Beach, but the rape stats are horrendous. Is there a reason why the rape stats are so high. Is that domestic too?

Thanks
You can do a comparison of Rapid with any city that you want by just replacing it. I just had MB in there.

We've actually had several discussions about why our stats are so high on rape, but Danny summed it up quite well.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 PM

60 posts, read 242,787 times
Default Is this the Northside again? Another question?

These rapes, are they more products of the Northside? At least I know which areas to avoid.

I stayed at Super 8 (north of I-90), I believe it's right off of Lacrosse street, is that the Northside too? I remember driving down Lacrosse from Super 8 down to WalMart Supercenter (on lacrosse), it looked kind of seedy. Is there another Walmart Supercenter or Target in a better location?

Thank you all.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
The rapes usually consist of the victim and assailant knowing each other. Often the guy is 19 and the girl is a minor or something along those lines.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Yes, that was one of the things that we figure states must report differently. I actually know people who had sons in prison~one gal who had a bro in prison~another guy who was in prison. All were for rape. They are all now registered sex offenders and will be for life. The first three slept with gals who were a bit too young. All three boys were very young~nothing kinky or weird, BUT they were 18 or over.

The last guy I'm referring to gets a bit silly in the head sometimes and he flashed someone.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikie View Post
These rapes, are they more products of the Northside? At least I know which areas to avoid.

I stayed at Super 8 (north of I-90), I believe it's right off of Lacrosse street, is that the Northside too? I remember driving down Lacrosse from Super 8 down to WalMart Supercenter (on lacrosse), it looked kind of seedy. Is there another Walmart Supercenter or Target in a better location?

Thank you all.
Yes, most of Rapid City's crime is on the Northside. I've never heard of a rape or murders south of Omaha Street. LaCrosse Street isn't really in the worst area of the Northside. WalMart, Walgreen's, and hotels are all up there so crime really isn't that bad along that strip. Crime is bad in the deep Northside. Maple Street, Lemmon Avenue, Wood Avenue, Blaine Street, Anamosa Street, and College Avenue are the roads to avoid in Rapid City. They aren't bad in the day, but I wouldn't feel the safest walking along them at night. I mean, I'm sure nothing would really happen tome but they're still pretty sketchy nonetheless.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
I agree the north side is nothing wonderful to speak of but I do get a chuckle out of the reports that it is so terrible - after livingin a metro area for many years, I would not consider any part of rapid "bad"...

Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
I agree the north side is nothing wonderful to speak of but I do get a chuckle out of the reports that it is so terrible - after livingin a metro area for many years, I would not consider any part of rapid "bad"...
I agree. However there are better parts of town to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City