Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 AM

65 posts, read 273,020 times

Advertisements

This is a real important issue to my family and I. We have the: MS13, Latin Kings, Bloods, Crips, Asian gangs...you name it, we have it here in the Philly area. Domestic terrorists... that's all they are, no excuses! I've lost friends and family to this crap over the last 25 years! It's even worse now!

Be honest with me, don't be politically correct about this (PC kills too)...are there any of these gangs operating in the Rapid City area. Any trends going on? Any illegal alien violence? This is one of the important decisions factoring into my decision to relocate there (Rapid City) in the near future. I know the crime is higher (per capita) in Rapid City, but definitely better than here.

As you can see, I am passionate about this, since it has hit so close to home.I love my wife and kids too much to put them back in the same situation as we've been in. When I was in Rapid City, I didn't get any "gang vibes" but I don't live there. All I got was "nice people vibes"!

Please advise me on this "critical" matter.I have no where else to get this info!

Friends, thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 07:20 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
There are gangs in most any city you live in, but Rapid City has more "wannabes" than anything. I've never really heard of a gang-related crime in Rapid City other than graffitte or vandalism and that all usually happens on the Northside. That's another thing, the Northside of Rapid City (anything above Omaha Street) is considered the "bad" part of town. However, my aunt has lived up there for years and never had trouble other than getting her car broken into a couploe times.

I've lived in Rapid City all my life and I've never been a victim of crime.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
The gangs in Rapid generally have ties to Salt Lake City, Denver and the reservations. They are there. But homicides are rare and are big news stories.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:47 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,334 times
I agree with Danny, they're wannabee gangs more than anything. We do have rapes, murders, robberies, etc, but not on a daily basis like the big city.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:05 PM

If there is ever a murder in Rapid City it is the headline story on the news for about a week and it's usually on the Northside. I think Rapid City averages a murder or two per year. It's never random either, it's always domestic.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 AM

65 posts, read 273,020 times
Thanks so far!

Are any of these murders and robberies tourist related? Do any of these crimes happen in the west-side or south-side?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
The crime rate increases north of Omaha street. North Rapid has the higher rate. The rate is quite a bit lower on the west and south side of town.

Tourist are really not active targets for violent crimes. Mostly property crimes... theft and the such, again its not a common place occurrence.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwame Y View Post
Thanks so far!

Are any of these murders and robberies tourist related? Do any of these crimes happen in the west-side or south-side?
There really aren't any tourist related murders. There have been murders during bike week, but they've all involved other bikers and they've been motorcycle gang related.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,334 times
What about that trucker that was murdered around or near the Safeway on Mt Rushmore Rd a couple years ago? I can't remember the details, but didn't he pick up hitch hikers or something?? I'll have to look it up!

Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
What about that trucker that was murdered around or near the Safeway on Mt Rushmore Rd a couple years ago? I can't remember the details, but didn't he pick up hitch hikers or something?? I'll have to look it up!
Oh yeah! I remember hearing about that some time back. Then there's that murder that just happened up at Sheridan Lake but I'm not sure if that was random or domestic. Anyway, any murder that ever happens in Rapid City is the talk of the town for months and months. It's just so rare and shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City