Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,053 times

Advertisements

Love reading about all that stuff, thanks all!

Anyone seen this?

You know you grew up in Rapid if . . .-rapidmap1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 03:53 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoes4Industry View Post
Love reading about all that stuff, thanks all!

Anyone seen this?

Attachment 91685
Yup. Holy smokes, that has been floating around for quite a while. Well, in various incarnations.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:42 PM

19 posts, read 57,153 times
Martin`s Auto Service and Motel
a.k.a
Martin`s Auto Service Supply
Parts - Power and Speed Equipment
Everything for your Car
Open Evenings - Sundays - Holidays
2305 Mt. Rushmore Rd. 342-0615
(Now Perkins Restaurant & Bakery)

( These adverts taken from a 1970 Black Hills Speedway Program)
Rapid City Merchant Police & Ambulance
Midwest Body Shop
Dakota Battery - Leonard E. Einum
Marv`s 66 Wrecker Service - Frank Parker
Jalopy Jungle
Eddies Tire and Glass - Lloyd W. Rypkema
Puritan Supply Co. / NAPA
Whisler Bearing Co.- Charles K. Whisler

Rapid City New Car Dealers Association
Rambler Auto Clinic
Cochran Oldsmobile - Cadillac
Rapid Chevrolet
Rushmore Volkswagen - Ernest 'Ernie' W. Davis
"Ernie`s Rushmore Volkswagen"
Brekhus Buick - Milo Brekhus
Atwater Pontiac - Lloyd Atwater
James Motor Company
Gateway Lincoln Mercury
Courtesy Lincoln Mercury - Gene Sagen
Frontier Ford
Dodge Town - Milo Rypkema
Jacobs Datsun-Volvo - Ted C. Jacobs
Jacobs and Brown Appliance and Hardware - Ted C. Jacobs
Jacobs and Goode Appliance Center - Ted C. Jacobs

1950`s-1960`s Rapid City Auto Dealers Association
Wilkens & Brekhus Motor Co.
Auto Clinic
Lewis Motor Co.
Stevens Buick
Black Hills Olds Cadillac
Frontier Motors
Gateway Lincoln Mercury ; Inc.
Crosstown Motors - ( Edsel )- Gene Sagen - Courtesy Lincoln Mercury
Murray Hansen Dodge
Motor Service Co.- John Morrison
Dries Motors - ('dreez')Volkswagen
A&R Import Motor Co. - Ervin Auch
"Old Volks Home"a.k.a."Old Erv's Home" -- Ervin Auch

Brezina Construction Co.- Robert W. Brezina
Black Hills Glass & Mirror Co.
Village Inn Pancake House - Edson James McCluskey

Old 09-02-2012, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,800 times
Default video world

Does anyone remember Video World? How about the under-18 dance club downtown--I think it was called the Rush?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,201 times
Who remembers the candy counter at Newberrys downtown. Tracy's grubstake on jackson blvd, Sportsman's pub on jackson blvd, 79 club, gibsons, Dick's drive inn on jackson blvd near canyon lake park, little red hen pancake house, king's food host by kmart, there used to be a pizza place and I cannot remember the beginning name of it but it had old world pizzeria at the end of it, bj's grinder king, south town mall before the Rushmore Mall,

Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Used to cruise 8th Street on Friday and Saturday night. Now days, ask a kid where 8th street is and they'll tell you that Rapid City doesn't have one.

A&W Drive-In was part of the loop, and there was another, mom and pop type drive in that had car-hop's. Can't remember the name of it.

A&W complained about the traffic through their place, so the police set up a car in the first space and if you cruised through A&W more than a couple times, you'd get a ticket. Wasn't long and A&W had no customers. They kicked the cop out and went back to packing all the spaces again.

I went to Rapid City High, anybody remember where that was?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
When I was in high school kids still "cruised 8th". There was the LTA (Lower Turn Around) at the Central High School's parking lot and the UTA (Upper Turn Around) was McDonald's. I never got into cruising much as I drove a Montero SUV and I couldn't afford the gas on my meager car wash wages. I sure did love that job and my Montero was always clean - for free!

Rapid City High School used to be Dakota Middle School and now It's Rapid City High School again. They made it into a special needs high school for troubled kids, people getting their GEDs, special education programs, and even college courses. It's a really nice building now as they completely remodeled it, yet kept it in its old style. The building has a beautiful theater now - though it's often dubbed "haunted". They even added a wing to it on the west end.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:38 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
When I was in high school kids still "cruised 8th". There was the LTA (Lower Turn Around) at the Central High School's parking lot and the UTA (Upper Turn Around) was McDonald's. I never got into cruising much as I drove a Montero SUV and I couldn't afford the gas on my meager car wash wages. I sure did love that job and my Montero was always clean - for free!

Rapid City High School used to be Dakota Middle School and now It's Rapid City High School again. They made it into a special needs high school for troubled kids, people getting their GEDs, special education programs, and even college courses. It's a really nice building now as they completely remodeled it, yet kept it in its old style. The building has a beautiful theater now - though it's often dubbed "haunted". They even added a wing to it on the west end.
Now that I think about it, Rapid City High always was for "troubled youth". hahaha

Our upper turn around was either at the base of the hill (short turn), as the highway was 2 lane headed up the hill and had a wide spot at the base. Or, we woud go up the hill to the hard S and there was a turn around up there (about a mile up the hill). That was where all the cars are down at the bottom and shall remain there forever. The old stories were that the kids were still in the cars. Nobody would ever take the time to hike down there to see.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,306 times
Red face Wish I did remember the '80's

I'm just here still trying to find my best friend from High School: Ronda Little. Last I heard, she was married with a bunch of kids, doing the Old Ways by White River. I had to get the heck out of S.D. (Married Randy Schroth! Horrible Family!), to Montana, now moving further West, to Portland! Wish I'd kept track of my real friends. Memories of Ronda Little, Sherry Web, and Barbara Spotted Owl. Anyone remember that?

Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,978 times
Default wow

I stumbled upon this by searching out little big Man pizza. I started reading some of these things and the memories started flowing. I lived there many lears ago. The spillway, floating the creek through the golf course. Ice skating on canyon Lake. Walking across the street to dairy queen for lunch in the 4th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City