Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:43 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,711 times

Advertisements

don't need to attack the guy just cause he doesn't like it here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
A person is naturally going to compare what they experience with what they are familiar with. We all do it.

The problem is comparing Rapid City with any "Big City". Rapid City is NOT a big city. It's the second biggest city in South Dakota, but Rapid City proper is what, 70k? I don't think it's that big. Might be. But if you count the burbs, it's 120k or so. Still not what you'd call a "Big City".

The second thing is that South Dakota is an agricultural state. Doesn't mean it's all one big garden. It's small grains, large grains, hay, etc. Unless you're down East and the Amish/heuterites/minninites, etc are close by, there are no large gardening areas.

So produce, like a lot of folks want, is trucked in. Even the farmers market, the bigger booths, the big producers, are not local gardens selling produce.

So when somebody compares and says that Rapid City is lacking, they are right. Compared to what that person may be used to.

But for those folks that have always lived in Rapid City or the local area, the farmers market is awesom. It's a damn site better then what you are going to get at the local grocery store, and if you are like me, it's a damn site better then what you can get out of your back yard.

So, compare away, but keep those things in mind.

Also, I might say, I grew up in Rapid City. Even though it lacks, it's 110% better then what I can get in Sheridan Wyoming where I live now. The farmers market has 4 tomatos, 3 onions, and we fight over the 6 potatoes.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,786 times
Default Happy here

Ive lived in big cities all my life til now. Iam just happy to be out of the hugh RAT RACE that gos on outside or SD.What this state lacks is what I love about it. OK I like wyoming to elk hunter.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,307 times
I grew up around Rapid City, then joined the military. I can't wait to get out, and leave this miserable state of VA. I always said that nothing is there in SD, but after living here I miss having 'nothing'. It's so much better to raise a family there, crime rates are better, everything is better. Now I just need to find a good job there to match what I'm looking for. Never thought I would miss Taco John's that much...but every time I visit, I eat there every day. Taco Bell is crap. The closest Taco John's to here is in Missouri...I'm not driving for two days to get it, even though it's good.
SD may not have 'authentic' Mexican food, but CO does and it's not too far away. Looking forward to going back to SD soon.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,106 times
And no one mentioned there is no state income tax compared to California. Currently live in San Diego. Partner grew up in Rapid and Kadoka area, we lived in Rapid 2000 to 2004, moving back in three years when I retire. Your dollar will go much further in rapid, although you'll see a summer jump in gasoline prices to gauge the tourists (and really pisses off locals)...still not bad compared to California. Winter is a variety of seasons and patterns, with cold mixed with warm from one day to the next...but usually a few warm spells. Traffic is minimum, people are good solid folk (remember that South Dakota is a very Red state) and generally tolerant. I love it in Rapid. Close to recreational activvities, the Black Hills, the Little Big Horn Mountains, within easy driving distace to other interesting South Dakota towns, 5 hours or so to Denver. If you have a decent paying job, you vcan live very wel in Rapid.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:30 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jactop View Post
And no one mentioned there is no state income tax compared to California. Currently live in San Diego. Partner grew up in Rapid and Kadoka area, we lived in Rapid 2000 to 2004, moving back in three years when I retire. Your dollar will go much further in rapid, although you'll see a summer jump in gasoline prices to gauge the tourists (and really pisses off locals)...still not bad compared to California. Winter is a variety of seasons and patterns, with cold mixed with warm from one day to the next...but usually a few warm spells. Traffic is minimum, people are good solid folk (remember that South Dakota is a very Red state) and generally tolerant. I love it in Rapid. Close to recreational activvities, the Black Hills, the Little Big Horn Mountains, within easy driving distace to other interesting South Dakota towns, 5 hours or so to Denver. If you have a decent paying job, you vcan live very wel in Rapid.
Iam glad you like it here.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:06 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,581 times
RC is awesome! I can't wait to get moved back up there from Omaha. My wife and I moved there for 6 weeks last year....(had to return to Omaha to nurse my injured father) LOVED IT. We found the rental house on Craigslist. I can still remember how it went: Judy-"Hello, this is Judy.." Me- "Hi Judy, my name is Brian and I am curious about the house after you have posted on Craigslist." She then gave me all the details. It sounded like exactly what we wanted. Judy- "Would you like to see it tonight? I have to work till 5, then I have a PTA meeting but then I can meet you there to show it to you." Me- "LOL, I wish! However we are in Omaha NE right now. Would you be willing to show it to us if we drove up Friday night and got there Saturday morning? This is exactly what we are looking for in the exact area too." Judy- "Hmm....well, I have had lots of calls today. I just posted this house. I am sure it will most likely ,be rented before the weekend. Let me ask my husband, hold on a sec." I could hear her talking to her husband faintly in the background telling him this nice man from Omaha wants to see the house, but he can't be here until Sat. He seems very nice and it appears to be exactly what his family needs. Then she got back on the phone: Judy- "Hello Brian? I'll tell you what. You seem very honest and nice. We will go ahead and hold the house until you can see it this weekend. How does that sound?" So four days later my wife, son and I drove through the night and got there that Saturday morning at 8:00. She was waiting for us. Gave us a tour, asked us what we thought. We loved it and said we would love to call it home. She said, "Great! Just fill out this lease form and give me a check for the deposit and I'll get out of your hair!"

WOW. That was all I could say. She was so nice. Rapid people rock. She held the house for some people that were 600 miles away when she could have shown it to someone local and had it rented sooner. She didn't even have us fill out a credit app. She went with her gutt instinct. When we called her to tell her about my dad and needing to go back, she felt so bad for us that she asked us to give her an extra month of rent but told us not to worry about the $900 cancellation fee that was stated in our lease. Again, WOW. When we were moving in, the neighbor from across the street came over and introduced herself to us and asked if we would like some refreshments since we were hot from unloading the truck. I was trying to carry a 32 TV by myself from the truck to the house as the mailman was coming by. He parked his truck, jumped out, ran over to me and told me let him give me hand with that before I hurt myself. The next day another neighbor came over from next door with his wife and two kids; a 14yr old looking girl and 10yr old looking boy. The boy told me that if I ever need my yard mowed to come ask him. He loved to earn money for his baseball teams uniforms they were saving for. The girl said she was really good at baby sitting and if we ever needed a sitter for out 2yr old she would love to help. I can PROMISE you that this hospitality would NEVER happen here in Omaha. When we were unloading the truck after we drove back to Omaha, no one bother to say hi, offer a hand or even glance our way. I can't wait to get back to Rapid. My wife and I have a 2yr old boy and another one due in the next couple weeks. I will do everything in my power to be moved back there before my kids start school.

See ya!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
RC is awesome! I can't wait to get moved back up there from Omaha. My wife and I moved there for 6 weeks last year....(had to return to Omaha to nurse my injured father) LOVED IT. We found the rental house on Craigslist. I can still remember how it went: Judy-"Hello, this is Judy.." Me- "Hi Judy, my name is Brian and I am curious about the house after you have posted on Craigslist." She then gave me all the details. It sounded like exactly what we wanted. Judy- "Would you like to see it tonight? I have to work till 5, then I have a PTA meeting but then I can meet you there to show it to you." Me- "LOL, I wish! However we are in Omaha NE right now. Would you be willing to show it to us if we drove up Friday night and got there Saturday morning? This is exactly what we are looking for in the exact area too." Judy- "Hmm....well, I have had lots of calls today. I just posted this house. I am sure it will most likely ,be rented before the weekend. Let me ask my husband, hold on a sec." I could hear her talking to her husband faintly in the background telling him this nice man from Omaha wants to see the house, but he can't be here until Sat. He seems very nice and it appears to be exactly what his family needs. Then she got back on the phone: Judy- "Hello Brian? I'll tell you what. You seem very honest and nice. We will go ahead and hold the house until you can see it this weekend. How does that sound?" So four days later my wife, son and I drove through the night and got there that Saturday morning at 8:00. She was waiting for us. Gave us a tour, asked us what we thought. We loved it and said we would love to call it home. She said, "Great! Just fill out this lease form and give me a check for the deposit and I'll get out of your hair!"

WOW. That was all I could say. She was so nice. Rapid people rock. She held the house for some people that were 600 miles away when she could have shown it to someone local and had it rented sooner. She didn't even have us fill out a credit app. She went with her gutt instinct. When we called her to tell her about my dad and needing to go back, she felt so bad for us that she asked us to give her an extra month of rent but told us not to worry about the $900 cancellation fee that was stated in our lease. Again, WOW. When we were moving in, the neighbor from across the street came over and introduced herself to us and asked if we would like some refreshments since we were hot from unloading the truck. I was trying to carry a 32 TV by myself from the truck to the house as the mailman was coming by. He parked his truck, jumped out, ran over to me and told me let him give me hand with that before I hurt myself. The next day another neighbor came over from next door with his wife and two kids; a 14yr old looking girl and 10yr old looking boy. The boy told me that if I ever need my yard mowed to come ask him. He loved to earn money for his baseball teams uniforms they were saving for. The girl said she was really good at baby sitting and if we ever needed a sitter for out 2yr old she would love to help. I can PROMISE you that this hospitality would NEVER happen here in Omaha. When we were unloading the truck after we drove back to Omaha, no one bother to say hi, offer a hand or even glance our way. I can't wait to get back to Rapid. My wife and I have a 2yr old boy and another one due in the next couple weeks. I will do everything in my power to be moved back there before my kids start school.

See ya!
Brian - your post made my eyes leak. It's what I miss the most about SD. I grew up in Kadoka, Phillip, and Madison. Thinking it's about time to move back to the Hills...

Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Brian - your post made my eyes leak. It's what I miss the most about SD. I grew up in Kadoka, Phillip, and Madison. Thinking it's about time to move back to the Hills...
I couldn't agree more! If I could pack up my job and extended family and more it all there, I would do it in heartbeat without even a glimpse of a second thought!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City