Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 PM

141 posts, read 402,946 times

Advertisements

Hi! Me again. Still preparing for our move to Rapid. It's been delayed again thanks to the weather. Sometime in April will be our move date. We found a place to live and once our application is accepted it will be official. I just have some little things to figure out to make Rapid feel like home.

Are there any grocery stores you would recommend over others. We will be living (if all goes as planned) in Rapid Valley and noticed there was a grocery store that we will drive by, cant remember the name but there are only a couple buildings there, one being a credit union. Do you know how that compares to others? I'm not familiar with any of the grocery stores in Rapid.. the ones I shop at are not in SD.

Coffee - I know there is starbucks.. are there any other similar places? I dont like regular coffee but love to have myself some 'cookies and cream blended iced coffee' from Moxie Java. I'm hoping to find something similar lol. I don't like starbucks though

Do you have a skateland or some kind of roller skating rink that kids go to? It's one of my kids favorite places here. If not, I'm sure we won't run out of things to do down there lol.

And lastly - I am hoping to find work in the computer field... are there any places you would recommend me look into? Computer places, internet places etc.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. You all have been great help since we started preparing for our journey to RC.

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 PM

267 posts, read 898,091 times
I don't think we have a roller skating rink - but we have an ice skating rink that my kids like to go to.

I know what grocery store you're talking about, but I've never been to it. The major choices in town are Safeway, or Family Thrift, or good ol' Wallyworld. I avoid Rapid Valley in general, so I don't know which ones are closest.

What kind of computer places? Like, companies that have IT departments, or internet places like ISP providers? Golden West Technologies, and Knology or Midco are a few I can think of offhand - don't know if either are hiring. Midcontinent Communications and Knology are the Internet/Cable providers for most/all of the city.

There are these weird little tiny buildings in parking lots all around town, that are some sort of coffee shop. I have no idea if they're any good, because I don't drink coffee, but I always notice them because I think they look silly. They look like little portable ice fishing buildings to me! I know there are some coffee shops downtown, but we'll have to see who knows which ones are any good!

Hopefully, the weather will be nice when you get here - we had our big blizzard the beginning of May last year!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
The grocery store in Rapid Valley that you are thinking of is Don's Valley Market. Rapid City also has two Safeways, four FTCs, and a WalMart Supercenter. There's also a large Sam's Club and Target has some groceries too. We used to have an Albertson's but FTC took over their spot. My favorite grocery store is Safeway and if you have a Safeway Club Card you get great discounts and fuel discounts. It's free to join.

Rapid City has three Starbucks and multiple small ones in grocery stores too. Caribou Coffee is also in the downtown FTC and Dunn Bros Coffee is downtown too. They have open mic night on Wednesdays and it's a fun place to hang out too. There's also Alternative Fuel in Old Rapid City and Bully Blends off 5th Street. Inside Border's there's a Seattle's Best. There's a really good bagel store downtown too and another on 8th Street. Also, there are some really good drive-thru coffee huts spread throughout town.

The roler-rink we used to have shut down a few years ago but there's a large ice rink in Roosevelt Park and it's pretty fun. It's next to the indoor aquatics center.

On your job part- what type of business do you want to get into? Cable providers? Computer repair? WiFi industries?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 AM

Thank you both, that is very helpful!!

As far as work.. the job I just quit I was network manager at a high school, basically fixing all computer and network problems. So anything similar to that. Computer repair places would probably be a good place for me to look. The job I had before that I did tech support for an internet company. So knowing what companies provide internet would be another good place for me to start looking.

There are of course many other businesses that have IT departments that I can look into. But knowing of places that provide internet and fix computers is a great spot for me to start.

Thanks again for all the info you all share.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 AM

464 posts, read 1,355,541 times
you won't be living too far from me. I only go to Don's if I need something fast or if it's something simple. In other words, Don's is higher priced. You can get dirt cheap pop there, but that's about it for cheap. The meat is great but higher priced unless it expires tomorrow. The Deli has great food, but is higher than the competition. For ex: I needed a bag of shredded cheese for tacos the other day and ran to Dan's. I paid $5 for the bag, that I could have paid $2.80 or so at Walmart.
I do most of my canned/boxed grocery shopping at walmart and buy all my produce/deli at Safeway. Safeway by far is the best in town. (I used to love and miss Albertsons tho) Having a Safeway card, you can get cheap deals on the canned/boxed stuff that is currently on promotion.
Recently Walmart stopped carrying my 96% lean hamburger meat, so I'm on a search for a replacement in town. Had no luck so far.
Those of us in the Valley spend a lot of time at the swim center and ice rink that are right next door to eachother. They're located a couple blocks south and west of Kmart. You can't miss them driving into town on Omaha (the main road) The swim center has an open swim time every day in the afternoon, lessons are offered year round and are $30-$40 a session. There is a great wading pool with water features and a slide right in the water. The kids love it there.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,541 times
Midcontinent and Knology are our main internet providers

Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM

86 posts, read 270,388 times
Check out Alternative Fuel for your cookies 'n cream iced coffee... the best!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Try looking at Computer Village or Geek Squad at Best Buy. There are also some computer repair-service shops in town. You may even be able to get another job at a school or large company.

computer service in Rapid City - YELLOWPAGES.COM

Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Ashnat - thanks for the info on the grocery stores. It helps to know what is priced better and how they are compared. The swim center sounds great!! My girls are major need of swim lessons, so I will be checking that out!

Andyroo - thanks! I will check it out.

Danny & Ashnat - Thanks for the internet and computer places info. That gives me a good place to start looking.

Now.. just keep the snow away and the weather nice down there so they can finish construction and we can get down there.. I am so ready to move now lol.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,206 times
Smile Dons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
you won't be living too far from me. I only go to Don's if I need something fast or if it's something simple. In other words, Don's is higher priced. You can get dirt cheap pop there, but that's about it for cheap. The meat is great but higher priced unless it expires tomorrow. The Deli has great food, but is higher than the competition. For ex: I needed a bag of shredded cheese for tacos the other day and ran to Dan's. I paid $5 for the bag, that I could have paid $2.80 or so at Walmart.
I do most of my canned/boxed grocery shopping at walmart and buy all my produce/deli at Safeway. Safeway by far is the best in town. (I used to love and miss Albertsons tho) Having a Safeway card, you can get cheap deals on the canned/boxed stuff that is currently on promotion.
Recently Walmart stopped carrying my 96% lean hamburger meat, so I'm on a search for a replacement in town. Had no luck so far.
Those of us in the Valley spend a lot of time at the swim center and ice rink that are right next door to eachother. They're located a couple blocks south and west of Kmart. You can't miss them driving into town on Omaha (the main road) The swim center has an open swim time every day in the afternoon, lessons are offered year round and are $30-$40 a session. There is a great wading pool with water features and a slide right in the water. The kids love it there.

Ashnat, appreciate your comments about Don's. Actually I am Don and own Don's and find your feed back valuable. I try to stay very competitive with Safeway and Thrift, actually believe I am cheaper then both in a lot of areas, especially meat. However it is hard to know customers perspective, I would appreciate any and all feedback from you and your neighbors on where I need to do better. Love being in the valley and would appreciate all feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City