Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:12 AM

9 posts, read 22,403 times

Advertisements

So i made it to Rapid city last Friday in the middle of the blizzard. 90 sure was fun especially all those idiots who think they can blow past you doing 80 in all the slush and then end up causing a an accident and/or go ditch diving. But I can attribute those kind of people to anywhere. In Alaska (where I came from) people did the same nonsense up there. So I ended up pulling some folks out of ditches because I felt it was the nice thing to do even though they risked the lives of both me and my wife. I pressed on thinking this is ok, every town has it ugly sides from time to time.

But then i get to Rapid city and figure finally I made it and I get to meet all these wonderful, open arms, welcoming South Dakotians (sp) I keep hearing about. Well finally the ugly weather subsides and I take a drive to start taking a look at my suroundings. After stopping places such as retail outlets and various others...I get left with this question..

What the hell is everybody so freaking pissed about? Did I miss something or did somebody like **** all over the town making everybody so damn angry ? I mean I stopped at a local diner (Flying J) close to the hotel during the peak of the storm and about the only people who were nice and wanted to meet us and talk up a conversation, were from North Dakota.

Its like everywhere I went people were just mad because they had thought I set out to just ruin their day by waiting on my table, or ring up some groceries.

Then when people see the plates and ask about Alaska and I really have nothing to say but the snow here really isnt all that bad if folks would just go outside and do some shoveling or something. They get all defensive like im insulting their lively hood or something. I dont want to be that person who crtiques other people homes because everywhere is different. So I try to just keep my comments to myself about how Alaska was and just let folks tell me how bad snow is and whatever.

So tell me this is just a phase because I really want to like this town and I am all about giving everywhere its fair shake before passing any judgement. Are people seriously like this all the time????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Having three snow blizzards in a row can bring out the worst in people~Trust me. AND I believe the Hills area just had three of them while we lucked out with two. Hopefully with the improving weather and the sunshine, things will improve.

Just curious though~the people who were driving past you and ended up in the ditch, are you sure they weren't out-of-staters? Not saying that no one from here does it, but the craziest drivers I've met don't have So. Dak. plates. They come from areas where people have no idea that snow and ice are slippery.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,836 times
Yep its the crazy weather - you have to understand we went from 78 degrees to three weekends of blizzards - snowed in - shoveling out - ugh.

Flying J was probably not the best place to stop either - my guess is there were lots of snowed in truck drivers and travelers who were not pleased to be stuck in town rather then on their way.

I know many businesses have been very short staffed due to the weather and people not being able to come in - you will also quickly learn to avoid the grocery store etc when a big snow is forcast - it is a MAD house as people "stock up" as if they may not get out for months! It causes many businesses to go into overdrive and the workers get a little irritable

This is a roung year for us in that we have receive a lot of snow, and that we were so rudly tricked by mother nature by having some very nice summer like days early on! This article from the journal today talks about our snow fall amounts -

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/04/07/news/top/doc49dacc6a01d8d866509521.txt (broken link)

Stick with us - I promise with spring (real true spring) you will meet great people! What part of town are you going to be living in?

Last edited by BusySocialWorker; 04-07-2009 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,493,535 times
Quote:
Are people seriously like this all the time????
no.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,085 times
yeah you have to be careful with all the out of state drivers that are in the area. i live on Ellsworth AFB, and coming from Buffalo area NY i know this weather a little all too well. but being in the air force i was at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls TX, and i had friends that had never seen a snow flurry before. but yeah with the people, give it time. since ive been here minus the 3 snow storms in a row that has recently hit the area, the people are really nice. (100 times better than NY.)

Old 04-07-2009, 02:16 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,334 times
40 INCHES OF SNOW IN 13 DAYS! Enough said!

Can't get to work cause the plows don't plow until the storm is over. Can't get out of my street because the plows don't plow it until 2 days after the storm is over.
Can't pay the bills cause I can't get to work cause school is cancelled. The kids have to go to school til June 15th now because of all the snow days.
Nothing like being cooped up at home for days unable to go anywhere. And those that made it to work and got stuck there cause it was too bad to drive home, I don't blame them for being grumpy!!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:32 PM

86 posts, read 270,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmysnr View Post
So i made it to Rapid city last Friday in the middle of the blizzard. 90 sure was fun especially all those idiots who think they can blow past you doing 80 in all the slush and then end up causing a an accident and/or go ditch diving. But I can attribute those kind of people to anywhere. In Alaska (where I came from) people did the same nonsense up there. So I ended up pulling some folks out of ditches because I felt it was the nice thing to do even though they risked the lives of both me and my wife. I pressed on thinking this is ok, every town has it ugly sides from time to time.

But then i get to Rapid city and figure finally I made it and I get to meet all these wonderful, open arms, welcoming South Dakotians (sp) I keep hearing about. Well finally the ugly weather subsides and I take a drive to start taking a look at my suroundings. After stopping places such as retail outlets and various others...I get left with this question..

What the hell is everybody so freaking pissed about? Did I miss something or did somebody like **** all over the town making everybody so damn angry ? I mean I stopped at a local diner (Flying J) close to the hotel during the peak of the storm and about the only people who were nice and wanted to meet us and talk up a conversation, were from North Dakota.

Its like everywhere I went people were just mad because they had thought I set out to just ruin their day by waiting on my table, or ring up some groceries.

Then when people see the plates and ask about Alaska and I really have nothing to say but the snow here really isnt all that bad if folks would just go outside and do some shoveling or something. They get all defensive like im insulting their lively hood or something. I dont want to be that person who crtiques other people homes because everywhere is different. So I try to just keep my comments to myself about how Alaska was and just let folks tell me how bad snow is and whatever.

So tell me this is just a phase because I really want to like this town and I am all about giving everywhere its fair shake before passing any judgement. Are people seriously like this all the time????
Folks are tired of shoveling... this winter was the most snow Rapid City has ever had on record....ever. Plus, the blizzard you witnessed was the weakest one out of the three that Rapid has had.. in three weeks. I'd be pissed as hell if someone told me to "just go outside and do some shoveling or something" after that's all I have done for three weeks. Rapid City isn't Alaska, the folks aren't used to all the snow. Okie Dokie?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
Yeah if someone came up to me and told me I don't have it bad I'd probably get pissed off too. You have to understand that Rapid City usually doesn't get hit with this much snow and people here aren't used to having what seems like an endless winter. It's so annoyig to because we'll have two nice days then a two day blizzard, then two nice days then a two day blizzard.

Yesterday was the first day I went into work in God knows how long and my bills are gonna be higher this month because I've been at home with my heat turned up. Then just being cooped up in the house has driven me mad, in fact there were two stabbings in Rapid City the other day attributed to "cabin fever arguments". Then on TV you see people in shorts and sunshine and you get pissed!

But really, we're nice any other time. If we didn't have 3 blizzards I'm sure you'd say differently. In fact, I've never heard anyone say South Dakotans are rude. I'm kinda floored!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 AM

141 posts, read 402,910 times
I don't live in Rapid City yet, however we went to visit and get to know the area and I have to say I had a good experience. The hotel we stayed at was great, people were extremely friendly. The places we went and ate at were great. I found that people were more friendly than I was used to. From my experience down there, I'd have to say it was just bad timing when you were there. When people have extreme weather conditions that they are not used to, it can definitely upset even the friendliest of people. And honestly, if you came off with the attitude you showed on here, I would not be friendly to you. I think it goes both ways.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM

53 posts, read 205,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g33kgrl View Post
And honestly, if you came off with the attitude you showed on here, I would not be friendly to you. I think it goes both ways.
This is exactly what I was thinking too, and couldn't agree more. I don't care where you go or what you do, you're only going to be treated as nicely as you treat other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City