Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:52 PM

141 posts, read 402,883 times

Advertisements

LOL. Ok so I don't expect to see all that in the Black Hills/Rapid City area, however I have been wondering what I will encounter. I am a city girl with a country heart.. in that I love the outdoors or I want to love the outdoors lol. I'm hoping eventually I will enjoy camping.. at the moment I do not go camping.. cant stand it lol. I plan to do some trails and get some photography in once we get settled in Rapid City. I have an extreme fear of spiders and snakes. However the snakes I have encountered in my life were only small snakes - garden snakes or something like that. Spiders - daddy long legs and dime sized spiders. The only wild life I have encountered are deer. And a couple skunks.

So.. knowing that.. am I going to survive spending a few hours enjoying the beautiful scenery of trails? What animals and other creepy things do I need to watch out for?

just put me in a bubble and I'll be good.. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
You'll be fine if you're just out hiking or strolling around. West River does have rattlesnakes, but your chances of an encounter are pretty slim. Just don't sleep in a sleeping bag on the ground.

There are lions and coyotes, too, but again~VERY little chance of an encounter. Most of the wildlife don't want to be around people. And deer~if you go into Wyoming, you'll see thousands of them. Or maybe those are antelope. We do have deer in the entire state, but they're friendly.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
people have lost their fear of wild animals. not good.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,222 times
The first month I lived here, a moose made his way into town and had to be shot. I think it was a paralyzing shot, but I can't remember 5 years ago!
You'll see deer, lots and lots of deer.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Just don't sleep in a sleeping bag on the ground.
Oh there is no chance of that unless I go through a major change .. I stick to my home or hotels... maybe a camper if I'm feeling daring LOL

Old 04-17-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
people have lost their fear of wild animals. not good.
Not me.. I'm a big chicken.. that's why I'm asking what to expect lol.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
The first month I lived here, a moose made his way into town and had to be shot. I think it was a paralyzing shot, but I can't remember 5 years ago!
We've had a couple of moose come into Fargo recently.. but they managed to get it to leave without having to do much.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:40 AM

31 posts, read 78,294 times
Unfortunately it was not a paralyzing shot, they killed it. It was hanging around the elementary school and they were worried about it hurting some kids. Claimed they didn't have any way to sedate it so they shot it. When asked why they didn't contact Bear country to sedate it, which has everything from Coyotes to Grizzlies and sedative guns to handle them they had no comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
To get back to the original question, there are many great places to hike and camp in the Black Hills and the chances of an unwelcome encounter with wild animals are pretty slim.

With this in mind the STUPIDEST thing I see people do is walk out into the fields and photo Buffallo, these are wild animals and they will not run from you but are capable of stomping you into the ground in the blink of an eye.

Bottom line don't leave your common sense at home, keep it with you at all times and you will be fine.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:28 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Unfortunately it was not a paralyzing shot, they killed it. It was hanging around the elementary school and they were worried about it hurting some kids. Claimed they didn't have any way to sedate it so they shot it. When asked why they didn't contact Bear country to sedate it, which has everything from Coyotes to Grizzlies and sedative guns to handle them they had no comment.//Unquote

How unfortunate and stupid! Murder an animal because it MIGHT hurt someone and don't waste your time trying to find a solution. Pretty typical, but still sad.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:27 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
I don't know about the 'wild' west, but here in Missouri the chances of having an encounter with wild animals is fairly slim. The wildest would now be the bears that have begun to call Missouri home. In a few counties bear have been sighted and the Conservation Commission has made this statement:Bears are protected by the Wildlife Code of Missouri, and it is illegal to kill one unless it is threatening people or property. I have only sighted a young bear in my front yard here in the woods. Exciting sight and so very unusual. I was in my home at the time!! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City