Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 02:05 PM

16 posts, read 43,507 times

Advertisements

I haven't posted in a really long time so this may confuse anyone that remembers me.

I am thinking of going to South Dakota School of Mines to get a BS in Geology. What is everyone's impression of the school? Does anyone have an experience with their geology program (relatives who have gone there)? If anyone thinks its a bad program any suggestions on a better program? I'm not interested in the engineering I want to do just geology.

When I looked at their financial aide information they say that it only costs 5k a year to live in South Dakota vs 10k in Most other states. Is this true or is that something they did to make the cost of going their look lower? If the cost of living is that low does that mean its hard to get a decent paying job? I want to get a part time job while I'm in school and my wife is going to get a full time job.

How hard is it to find places to rent with a dog? I have a small 50 lbs Lab. Are there any parts of Rapid City I should stay away from?

I think that is all of the questions I have right now. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for your time

Hoss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 12:10 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I don't really know much about the geology program at SDSMT but the college is always ranked as a "Best Buy" and it is a very prestigious school. As a matter of fact, it's hard to get into.

I have heard that the geology program there is good because the school's setting is in one of the most geologically diverse areas in the world and you get a lot of hands on experiences while studying. As you may know, School of Mines discovered the fossils of "Sue" the T-Rex. Also, the Black Hills are a gological wonder that the school is right at the foot of. You'll see many examples of geology here.

Cost of living in Rapid City is very low compared to most places but yes, wages are significantly lower too. Finding a part time job shouldn't be too hard but keep in mind that we feel the recession too so you may not get your first choice. Have you considered work-study?

Also, no part of Rapid City is considered "bad" but the Northside is probably the part you want to avoid. Anything north of Omaha Street is the Northside.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
The Mines is a excellent school and have an excellent engineering (civil) geology program is also excellent. My brother graduated there in 1993 as a non traditional, his daughter is entering her 3rd year there. She plans to stay on and complete her Master's degree too there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City