U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM

23 posts, read 43,893 times

Advertisements

The rally is over and this years traffic was horrible. I live in Sturgis and I could not get anywhere. One car was going through the traffic light at a time on the intersection of Junction and Lazelle. I finally figured out why. (when I got to the intersection). The pedestrians! They were flocking across the street crossing Junction and Main. They were only allowing one car through per light. Now, I normally do not suffer from road rage, but I was getting a major case. Why doesn't Sturgis do something to monitor the pedestrian traffic. I almost hit a biker during a rainstorm. He was in black and the pavement was very dark he blended in. He was upset I almost hit him. He stepped out in front of me. I know that if the jaywalkers and the peds at the crosswalk were monitored the traffic would be controlled immensely. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy the Rally, but not when it takes me 1.5 hours to get home from work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,888,390 times
Dallard, bike week would be a good week for residents to take their vacation. Seriously, we actually avoid the interstate during that week. People here are just not used to the kind of traffic the rally generates and I can only imagine what it's like for many of you out there.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 PM

27,971 posts, read 36,740,114 times
And the traffic never ends either.

Funny when I travel out west to work rally week I try to keep count of all the Meade County Vehicle I meet head east.

I guess I have never cared much for driving through Sturgis. It always seems to take forever to get through town. Both Junction and Lazelle have that feel for me too.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 AM

3,940 posts, read 14,089,947 times
Welcome to August in the Black Hills. As if tourist traffic doesn't suck enough, add bikes. I finally flipped one off this year... Not a good idea I know but when they act like they're the only person on the road that matters it can really make you forget yourself.

Personally, I like lots of traffic on a usual basis (ie: cities where people KNOW HOW to drive and they know where they are going), but during the rally people get dumb.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:44 AM

Couple weeks ago when I was out in Rapid I jump off at exit 61. I was in the outside lane to go south. Next to me is a group of half dozen bikes in the inside lane. The light turns green and ol' red and I roll away from the stop light at a pretty decent pace. Well as I am running through the gears like I, what I like to do so well. Well couple bike decide the need to be in my lane to hang a right onto the service road. They cut in front of me no signal or anything, while right on their back fender I think I might made some comment about their lineage...

The others were at least decent enough to signal.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 AM

23 posts, read 43,893 times
I understand the bikes and the bike traffic. I cant move out during bike week. My topic is based on the stupid pedestrians. They are worse than the bikes. Who will get chastised in the press when a big bad car runs one over? They are walking directly in front of the cars.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallard View Post
I understand the bikes and the bike traffic. I cant move out during bike week. My topic is based on the stupid pedestrians. They are worse than the bikes. Who will get chastised in the press when a big bad car runs one over? They are walking directly in front of the cars.
That makes sense. Never thought of the hoof traffic. Does the city have any sort of jaywalking ordinances? If so it would be uber hard to enforce during the rally.

As it is written those in cross walk have the right of way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>