Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,425 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to this, as I just found this site. My wife, son and I were visted the ralley this last week for the third time. We don't have a bike, but both enjoy the atmosphere, food, Black Hills and of course looking at the bikes! As we were leaving Rapid heading back to Omaha we got to talking. We both HATE to leave every summer when we come to visit. If we like it so much up here, why not move here? When we got back into town my wife started to look online as to what apartment complexes are in town. We both agree that Harmony Heights would be a PERFECT location. She works for Perkins and they told her a transfer to RC would be no problem. However, I work for the local company here in town called, "COX Communications." I am a home tech. The one that would show up to install your phone/cable/internet. I looked online and found that Knology is the provided in town that people seem to choose over the other one that I don't even know the name of. I would love to be able to talk to someone that works there that can give me some good insite on how to get hired. I called them and the guy on the phone told me to apply online. That takes forever. We would love to get the ball rolling ASAP if we could. Our lease is up next month and we don't want to have to get locked into another one. If I could get my job lined up then we would be all set! We can't wait to get up there to quality living. When we got back to Omaha and got out of the car we both choked on the air here. It is so heavy and thick from humidity. Up there is was so clean and clear and people are so friendly. We love it there! So, if someone can give me the "hook up" on getting a cable job either with the company or tell me about a cable contracting company it sure would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Brian, it's great to hear that you enjoyed the Black Hills so much. It was actually pretty humid (I thought) during Bike Week so I'd hate to imagine what it was like when you got back to Omaha. Rapid City is served by Knology and Midcontinent Communications. I hope you did apply online too, but if you want to come up here and apply IN PERSON that may be a good idea as well.

Ashnat is a Rapid City member from Omaha so she can give you a lot of compare/contrast on the two cities. I also spent a lot of summers in Omaha when I was a kid so I guess I could too, somewhat. By the way, my cousin works for Perkins in KC so whenever she comes back to Rapid City she works a little too!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,910 times
I worked as a contractor for Midcontinent a while back through a company called TAK communications. It was a fairly good company to work for. I would recommend however to work in house if possible. The other way as I'm sure you already know, you have to provide you're own transportation and buy all of your tools. Although its been nice still having my tools . I would also recommend working for Midcontinent, but that may just be a bias towards them. Good luck!!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
As a customer of Midcontinent, I believe they are a very good company. Their services are excellent. I personally have no idea what they're like to work for, but they're well thought of around here.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Thanks so far to everyone's comments. It is GREATLY appreciated! Today I got online and applied at both cable companys AND the TAK that alltowit suggested. Now I will have to wait and see! All I need is a few more weeks of work to have for savings and a confirmed job for my wife and I, & we'll be on our way up to find a place to live!!!!! Thanks again everyone!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM

464 posts, read 1,355,541 times
I moved here from Omaha in 2004. I love the weather here, definately, but there's more to where you live than the weather. I'd move back to Omaha in a heartbeat. Just my opinion, of course.
Do you have school aged kids?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 PM

54 posts, read 148,944 times
Hey there,
I have lived here for a couple months now. (i recommend Homestead Gardens Apartments. great rent and you get a lot free stuff. like cable, and internet just to name a few) There are no regrets leaving humid country in my mind. Although the weather gets extreme here. it only last for 20 mins and moves on. lol.
knology is a good company. we are serviced by them. but midcontinent is also a good company. they both provide great services and prices.
I would recommend that before you even make any commitments, you have a job set and ready to go. the employment right now is highly competitive here and employers are being being pickey and really weighing out their options now. As an employer, I was very selective before i offerred any jobs to anyone. and now, i have the cream of the crop!!! for the positions i was filling. I do not know how much competition you will have here. but its tough getting a job. unless you have some good connections.. (SD is a very political State and so is Rapid City) so. just some insite into that.
you are right. RC is a beautiful place and the people great. There just seems to be a lot home grown value and work ethic in this place.
have fun looking into things. i certainly hope all works out for you and you can live your dream of living next to sturgis.
scott.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
Hello! I am new to this, as I just found this site. My wife, son and I were visted the ralley this last week for the third time. We don't have a bike, but both enjoy the atmosphere, food, Black Hills and of course looking at the bikes! As we were leaving Rapid heading back to Omaha we got to talking. We both HATE to leave every summer when we come to visit. If we like it so much up here, why not move here? When we got back into town my wife started to look online as to what apartment complexes are in town. We both agree that Harmony Heights would be a PERFECT location. She works for Perkins and they told her a transfer to RC would be no problem. However, I work for the local company here in town called, "COX Communications." I am a home tech. The one that would show up to install your phone/cable/internet. I looked online and found that Knology is the provided in town that people seem to choose over the other one that I don't even know the name of. I would love to be able to talk to someone that works there that can give me some good insite on how to get hired. I called them and the guy on the phone told me to apply online. That takes forever. We would love to get the ball rolling ASAP if we could. Our lease is up next month and we don't want to have to get locked into another one. If I could get my job lined up then we would be all set! We can't wait to get up there to quality living. When we got back to Omaha and got out of the car we both choked on the air here. It is so heavy and thick from humidity. Up there is was so clean and clear and people are so friendly. We love it there! So, if someone can give me the "hook up" on getting a cable job either with the company or tell me about a cable contracting company it sure would be appreciated!
Brian, That's awesome you want to move here. I'm not too familiar with Rapid City, but just be sure you have jobs in line, and everything finalized before you make the move.... We want it to be a good one!
As far as Knology and Midcontinent... In Sioux Falls, we have both... and I'm almost positive that the majority of residents have Midcontinent.
I think either is fine though... Good luck on your potential move!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Thanks again everyone for the help! I got AWESOME news today! I did an over the phone interview and passed with flying colors! They want me to come up this weekend to fill out a couple papers and make it official. Looks like I better find a place to live while I'm up there! I'll start a new post....what apartment complexes are there....

THANKS AGAIN!!

Brian

Old 08-17-2009, 03:52 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,495,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
Thanks again everyone for the help! I got AWESOME news today! I did an over the phone interview and passed with flying colors! They want me to come up this weekend to fill out a couple papers and make it official. Looks like I better find a place to live while I'm up there! I'll start a new post....what apartment complexes are there....

THANKS AGAIN!!

Brian
Awesome news!
Apartment complexes...
//www.city-data.com/forum/9612998-post2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City