Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 12:43 PM

12 posts, read 63,545 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the black hills in a week and a half , and we are looking for a place to set up a chiropractors office. We were thinking Rapid City, of course because of the amount of ppl, but we are thinking we want a smaller town feel. What do people think of Sturgis? I realize it gets CRAZY there during the rally, but do you think we could get alot of business during the rally? There are 7000 people on a given day and can easily handle two offices. As of right now there is only one chiro office in town, with two chiros working there. I would bet the regulars in town would not come in during the rally. Just wanna get a few opinions...Any other chiros out there? Or anyone that lives in sturgis or goes to the rally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:49 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Sturgis sounds like it might fit you well. Personally, I don't like Sturgis all that much with or without the rally but yes, you'd see a spike in business during bike week. Rapid City would give you more clientele but there is also A LOT more competition there.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks DannyBanany! What is it about sturgis you don't like? Knowing some of its negative, as well as positive points will helps us decide. :-)

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
I think it's kind of dirty for a town it's size. It just seems that the rally attitude goes on year-round. People there seem a little unpleasant. It has good aspects too but the bad ones just stick out to me. I like Spearfish much much better and it's close to Sturgis too.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:58 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Spearfish, just like Danny said. It's a beautiful little town and you're right by the Canyon. IMHO Spearfish Canyon is one of the most beautiful places in the country.

It seems like there are some pics of Spearfish in the Pic thread. Here are some more with some info~

//www.city-data.com/city/Spearf...th-Dakota.html

Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
It seems Sturgis has somewhat improved over the years. My grandparents lived there years ago. While personally I would pick Spearfish before Sturgis I would not run Sturgis into the ground or totally dismiss it as a place to live.

As far as northern hills town its centrally located. Halfway between Rapid City and Spearfish. It has a somewhat pretty location on the edge of the hills.

As far as setting up shop it appears you have researched the market and setting up practice should be an advantage for the community.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:58 PM

thanks everyone for the advise! Does anyone know what the commute from Sturgis to Spearfish is like? Busy? Difficult in winter? Difficult during the rally?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwhite18 View Post
thanks everyone for the advise! Does anyone know what the commute from Sturgis to Spearfish is like? Busy? Difficult in winter? Difficult during the rally?
20 minutes at most. All interstate just a hop skip and a jump. In the wintertime the northern hills usually gets ample snow and can be an adventure when its snowing.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:25 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwhite18 View Post
Busy. That's pretty funny. It is Interstate between the 2 towns and you are in SD, so traffic is definitely not an issue.

It's not all that far, but of coarse could get rough in a winter storm. fyi-a winter storm in the hills could virtually happen any month of the year. Very unpredictable weather which is cool imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City