Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 PM

451 posts, read 976,929 times

Advertisements

Hello again Rapid City. Our trip is coming quickly. I hear that among a lot of gorgeous areas that Spearfish Canyon has one of the most beautiful and even has waterfalls. I am water starved in a big way. Hubby and I are hikers and don't mind hiking wherever we need to hike to see what we want to see. I am wondering if anyone can give me more information (or a link or a way to obtain a map or whatever you feel is most useful) with regard to this area.

Our trip is going to be on the short side. We plan to pack as much in as we can in a few days. We'll be looking at houses and apartments (keeping both options open) as well as I'll stop in at Regional Med and the rest of the time we are open to suggestions. We'll have 3 full days. We don't mind a long drive or hike as sleeping is for when we return to Tucson. Any ideas, as always, are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
The best way to see Spearfish Canyon is to drive, and even better yet bike, through it when leaves are at their peak. Bridal Veil falls isn't a hike by any means... it's just off the highway that goes through the canyon. I suggest starting out in Deadwood and then coming out the mouth of the canyon in Spearfish. Then you can enjoy the scenery and spend some time eating and walking around downtown Spearfish.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:05 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Danny, good to see you.

At one time, we had a map that showed us exactly how to get to the waterfalls in Spearfish Canyon. It seems like there was one that was back in further~you couldn't see it from the road. Do you have any idea where they could pick one up? Sorry, I can't remember where we got ours.

You're so athletic that it would be easy for you to bicycle through there. I think it's about 20 miles so it'd be quite a trek for some people. (ME) Does that sound about right?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
At the Latchstring Inn head west about a mile to Rough lock falls. Bridal Veil falls is closer to Spearfish and visible from the road.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:50 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,690 times
The main waterfalls are Bridal Veil (just off the road - watch for the pull off), on the left if you come in from Spearfish, on the right if you come in from Cheyenne Crossing. At Savoy, where Latchstring Inn is, you have Spearfish falls - there is a botanical trail behind Latchstring that is a loop. Not too difficult a trail, with a very nice water fall - just watch for the bears! (Kidding - sort of - a tourist thought they spotted one with a cub on a ridge near the falls recently!) Then there is Roughlock Falls - take the gravel road behind the hotel at Latchstring Inn. There is a gravel parking area at the trailhead just past the hotel, or go up about a mile, you will see another parking area closer to the falls. Part of the trail is paved or boardwalked, but a good portion of the lower trail is not.

Just an FYI, unless we get more rain, the falls are pretty low right now, but we are possibly due some more later this week...

Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 PM

451 posts, read 976,929 times
Thank you, thank you everyone. Getting really pumped here to see SD. I will settle for a dripping falls as long as I can see water!! I will watch out for bears (was that ever verified, or could it be verified?). I really appreciate the excellent information and directions and names of where to go - that is very valuable. I just realized how much hubby and I have to coordinate. He marks all this on the map and I think printing a number of these great posts would serve us well. We're traveling light - no checking bags - just carry-ons, so I think the laptops might not make the cut. Anyway, much, much appreciation to Danny, Jammie, rjl78 and no8fann - you all have helped a lot.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:39 AM

509 posts, read 1,679,950 times
Default Picture of the Falls

Attached Thumbnails
Spearfish Canyon's Waterfalls Plus Info-snowball007.jpg  

Old 09-29-2009, 07:23 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJTucson View Post
...I will watch out for bears (was that ever verified, or could it be verified?)...
The "official" position is that there are no bears in the Hills...however, bear scat is a regular enough find by our wildlife biologist where I work that the official position may not be entirely correct. However, I would probably say you might be more in danger from the mountain lions in the area, and they aren't known to attack people here. So, in all, it would be incredibly cool to see one (or both), but chances are, if they are there at all, they will be long gone before you ever know they are around!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
The general rule with mountain lions is, if you ever come across one, to start yelling at them and running towards them. They'll run away in fear because they're more afraid of us than we are of them.

Jammie- Thanks for the compliment. I never think of myself as athletic. I walk across campus, I'm out of breath and I want ice cream.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
The general rule with mountain lions is, if you ever come across one, to start yelling at them and running towards them. They'll run away in fear because they're more afraid of us than we are of them.

Jammie- Thanks for the compliment. I never think of myself as athletic. I walk across campus, I'm out of breath and I want ice cream.
Now don't get too out of shape over in Minn. I know you used to go mountain climbing and that's hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City