Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:45 PM

451 posts, read 976,986 times

Advertisements

You all are just such nice people. I had not forgotten, believe me. And yes, I do love Rapid City and what I've seen of South Dakota for certain.

I may (not for sure on this) need to take a little detour in getting there though. Believe me, nothing I'd like more than to just move to RC today. However, life and responsibilities do sometimes make one take a detour. Fortunately, it would be to my home state which I am also very fond of. As long as I am out of AZ soon....I look at that as major progress.

As for the poster who stated that we need to go for it...may I inject a "Wisconsinism"........you betcha!!! Times are so weird and so much of what we all once thought the rules are have sure changed!!! Do the best you can to get to SD!

One thing is for certain...I absolutely love SD and its residents (and we met a fair share of folks during our October, 2009 visit) and I know it is in my future for sure! Just not 100% if we'll be arriving via Wisconsin.

Have a great day everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM

193 posts, read 677,655 times
I always say if you're checking out a tourist area to move to, and the folks all seem real friendly, just be sure it's not the other tourists you've been unknowingly talking to and not the residents
Just kidding (but true!). South Dakota does have alot to offer along with most people being open and friendly

Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Good point on making sure you're actually talking to residents versus tourists. That is why we went to such things like the pumpkin festival and ate locally (you know, the $6.95 soup and sandwich type places) versus trying each and every touristy place. I think getting there in October helped a lot as well. Sure we went to Mt. Rushmore and took turns with others taking each others cameras and taking pictures of one another and most of those folks were from other states, but we planned the majority of our time trying to immerse ourselves in with the RC residents. That was so much fun. I also spoke with HR at Regional Med as well. I'd say about 3/4 of the time we were talking with residents. Again, such nice and helpful people.

In fact now that I am back reading the forum, makes me hope any detour is a short one. I really loved SD.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:46 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
From reading your posts over the last year or so AJ you come across extremely nice - If you are as you seem, I suspect you will do great when you make it here. There are jerks here just as there are anywhere, but they are tougher to find/notice when a person is busy tending to positive matters.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Thanks so much Eric!! You know, hubby and I are nice folks if I say so myself. Kind of what you read/see is what you get. For us, we had it great and took it for granted (sadly), left and moved ten years ago and now are pulling out all the stops to get back to what we had. For being thought of as a good person...I personally believe what you give out comes back to you. Just so glad I don't appear too jaded from the experiences of the last ten years here!!!!

You're also right on the point that there are jerks everywhere. Sticking to the positive and caring for others is really what I am focusing on to the best of my ability. I do think though that for sure some areas (SD) have a high percentage of great people and some areas (no names please) do not. So, you go where you feel you'll be most comfortable!! So glad that little plane character over SD on channel 13 on "airplane TV" or whatever it is called appeared....nice to talk to you folks again.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 PM

265 posts, read 686,719 times
Any updates AJ?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Default We Are Here!!!!

Hello. Sorry we didn't reply earlier....physically we arrived on Sunday...mentally we just arrived this morning.

We'll write more later, but my update is that everyone we have met thus far has been so nice. I have to say, the residents of Rapid City have the best sense of humor. I absolutely love that just about every encounter (shopping, asking directions, etc.) is a conversation...really love that.

We've also made the first of what I am sure will be a few errors. We unloaded the truck of fun and got the little, dirty ice ball (also known as the car) off the car dolly. Then, being embarrassed that it was filthy...took it to the car wash. The following morning (on the first of my two days of screens at the hospital) we had frozen locks!!! The gentleman from AAA got here in plenty of time so I was not late...really great! A few residents (who were kind about our rookie mistake) told us to not wash it when it is going to freeze. My goodness...we are from WI originally....there are no excuses!!!

That's it for now...we are still looking for a few items....more unpacking.....but, no doubt, loving living here and really loving the views from our place!!! I also can't get over the beauty of the city at night when we leave our place to head into town on 16...just gorgeous.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM

68 posts, read 135,338 times
Glad to hear you made it safely. I will be right behind you in 23 days,13 hours, and 38 minutes!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Default Getting Gas Without Having To Leave Your First Born

Wow - got gas today. Hubby didn't find a credit swipe by the pump and went into the station and said he wanted to gas up the car. The gentleman said, "Okay, go ahead". Wow...other areas require a full set of finger prints, your first born and other associated insanity (okay ... half kidding). This is fantastic...trust.... plus, a detailed explanation of where we need to head to tomorrow. I have to say it again...what a welcome...ammiller03 and anyone heading this way, you'll be thrilled when you arrive.

BTW, if anyone sees a black hairdryer on the side of the road...dm me....I think the car threw it up when it realized we weren't in warm weather any more!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Which route did you take? It sounds like you came through with excellent weather for this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City