Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 AM

451 posts, read 977,087 times

Advertisements

We just came back from an awesome trip to Rapid City. We both loved it. We were able to see a good part of the area, talk to a lot of friendly people and saw a number of great sights. We even got to see snow, which for us was fun. We saw Mt. Rushmore, drove the CSP Wilderness Loop (did that in the morning as advised, great suggestion) and saw Sheridan Lake and Pactola Lake. We also spent time in Spearfish Canyon among other things (apartment and house hunting; hospital visit, etc.). Suffice to say that we enjoyed all of it. However, I know we didn't get to see half of what we could have in that 3 day visit.

Additionally, I still wound up with more questions. First, and please don't think this is too dumb, but were those wild turkeys that we saw? They were in the Wilderness Loop, in a southwest neighborhood (along with a family of deer), on Skyline Drive and other areas. We just could not get over seeing them in the wild. Loved seeing the buffalo in the Loop as well. Got a good picture of one lounging at the side of the road about 8-10 feet away from us. Just cannot say thank you enough for the suggestion of doing the Loop in the morning.

Secondly, to find homes with about .5 acres plus, we looked in the southwest area (and we admittedly did not have or give enough time to this task). Were we correct in doing so? Is that the only area?

We also walked around Pactola and Sheridan Lakes. How is the fishing in those lakes? It has admittedly been a while since I've fished, but I thought I saw boat rentals in the Pactola Lake area. For now we have great memories of sitting in a gorgeous area by the shore just listening to the waves lap and watching the snow hit the water. It was so wonderfully quiet and relaxing.

I just read information on rate hikes on another thread. As I mentioned, that was something we just didn't get to ask about, so I am so glad that was posted (gotta know the bad with the good). I believe I read an upcoming 26% hike; when does that go into effect?

I know hubby has a couple of additional questions himself that I am sure he'll post on. But for now, this is all I can think of. So, thanks again; we really enjoyed our time in your city. The people (along with the views coupled with those gorgeous changing leaves) really made it something special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 10:53 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Hi AJ, I'll leave the main questions to the Hills members, but I just did a check on utilities because I was disappointed to read that they were taking such a huge hike. BUT they have always been some of the cheapest in the country. Black Hills Power used to be at 85% on a 100% scale. Now it's up to 103% for a national average. I also checked Tucson and you're at 105% so you should be ok.

Since you haven't totally ruled out Sx. Falls, I wanted to let you know that our rates over this way are quite high. I haven't checked recently, but their number was 135% with 100% being the national average.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Hi AJ, I'll leave the main questions to the Hills members, but I just did a check on utilities because I was disappointed to read that they were taking such a huge hike. BUT they have always been some of the cheapest in the country. Black Hills Power used to be at 85% on a 100% scale. Now it's up to 103% for a national average. I also checked Tucson and you're at 105% so you should be ok.

Since you haven't totally ruled out Sx. Falls, I wanted to let you know that our rates over this way are quite high. I haven't checked recently, but their number was 135% with 100% being the national average.

Hi Jammie - thanks so much for the info. I didn't even know where Tucson was on the scale ! For us here, in ten years our summer bills have never been more than $210 a month (and that was this year during our 107+ heat that lasted for quite a bit). We're the type of people who never go below 78 degrees on the air in summer and never above 67-68 degrees with the heat in the winter. It will be interesting to see how that all plays out once we move - thanks again .

Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Yes there a plenty wild turkeys. Plenty without feathers too.. But that is anywhwere you go.

There are plenty of fishing holes.

Flyfishing below Sheridan and Pactola. Shore fishing is cheap option. Trout in the treams, bass in the lakes Also head South of Rapid 60 miles to Angustora... Walleye bass and the likes.

Deerfield is nice smaller lake west of Hill City.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:09 PM

86 posts, read 270,434 times
you could also check out the west side of Rapid City, older homes but a still very nice area of the city. I grew up around the Pinedale Elementary area. If I were to move back to Rapid, I would buy a house on the west side.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:02 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo View Post
you could also check out the west side of Rapid City, older homes but a still very nice area of the city. I grew up around the Pinedale Elementary area. If I were to move back to Rapid, I would buy a house on the west side.
I think I would pick westside too. Othwerwise Robinsdale area would be next option.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Wild turkey like to hang out at sunrise in canyons and ravines. If you drive along Sheridan Lake Road and 5th Street in the morning you'll see flocks of them. If you want an acreage, you'll probably have to look at the edges of town. The Southwest area is going to be very hilly and pine covered, the South edge will be hilly and more prairie-like.

I'm so glad you loved Rapid City! And snow this time of year is unusual so don't get too excited! Haha!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM

RJ, andyroo and Danny -thanks very much for the replies. We still talk about those wild turkeys (yes, we are quite easily amused ). The type of fishing I did last consisted of sitting in the middle of a lake with my line and just relaxing. If I caught something - hey great - let's have fish for dinner!! If not, I was fine with just spending the morning relaxing on the lake. However, seeing the variety of fish - versus the pan fish that I used to catch - I might just need to bump up the fishing gear!! Thanks also for the info on the neighborhoods. I know we were in one by the golf course. Additionally, we went further down the road and wound up in a great hilly area with what looked like at least .5 acre lots. That is where we saw more turkey and the deer family. Before living where we do now, the least amount of area we had was about that .5 acre. I'd want that again - makes us happy campers - plus, I like to garden and that would give us ample room. We'll do much better with directions and areas to look for homes on our next trip. Really wonderfully unique city. You start out up a hill and it is just amazing how awesome the neighborhoods are and from the bottom of that hill you would never suspect what is actually there. We loved that. That is also why I think we'd probably rent for at least a while before we'd commit - so many nooks and crannies to scope out.

Thanks so much for your help. Danny, hubby tells me that we would have been in 2-5 inches of snow this coming weekend. You have no idea how close we were to making it up to RC the weekend of October 10th!! Either way, we love the outdoors and I personally miss snow (glad I saw a little).

Old 10-08-2009, 12:30 PM

Okay - losing my mind here. With all the snow talk I can't believe I forgot this question, but I did. Are there areas to ski in the Rapid City/surrounding areas?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 PM

31 posts, read 78,316 times
Cool My 2c

As for skiing there is Terry Peak and Deer Mountain ski areas if you google them it should get you a link.

Also check out here and do some searches for properties.

Don't get hung up totally on Rapid City, Spearfish is another great option as well as many other surrounding communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City