Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:20 AM

8 posts, read 14,620 times

Advertisements

We would like to know if there are any good barbecue resturants there? We know you have buffalo there and we eat alot of bison which is a plus for us. Do you have many bison ranches there?
Do You have apartment houses that are in a country setting? Are they pet friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 12:42 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
There are some buffalo ranches. The 777 down by Fairburn is one of the closest to Rapid City, 30 or so miles out.

Any good BBQ places? Well none that seem to last. Unfortunate, I like good BBQ.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:45 PM

Thank You rjl78 for the info. My husband and I are going to be relocating to Rapid City late summer of 2010. We will be bringing a horse and a cat with us. We are looking forward to moving there. I work in a warehouse shipping dept here. Would I be able to find something like that there in Rapid City?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:55 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
https://apps.sd.gov/applications/LD00General/Login.aspx should be helpful with your job search

Old 10-25-2009, 06:21 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
There are bison in Custer state park. And if you have a really big freezer, or get some friends and neighbors to go in on it, they have a buffalo hunt almost every year to thin out the herd. My dad used to do that all the time and we ate buffalo pretty regular.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Are there flea markets in and around Rapid city? My husband and I love to go to flea markets inside and outside markets.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
The closest flea market is about 10 miles out of Rapid City on I-90 West. It's between the Bethlehem Road and Tilford Road exits. It used to be up on Highway 16 but it moved years ago. There are also lots of good 2nd hand and consignment stores in Rapid City.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:57 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,021 times
Horse family, you are asking too many questions.

Sounds like you are serious about relocating. No better time than now to take some vacation and go tour Rapid City!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Horse family, you are asking too many questions.

Sounds like you are serious about relocating. No better time than now to take some vacation and go tour Rapid City!
Actually, that's the purpose of the forum. It's here so people in a totally different area can learn about the area they are relocating to.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 PM

54 posts, read 148,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse family View Post
My husband and I are wanting to relocate to Rapid city and we would like to know what the job opportunities are in ranching? We are horse people and would like to know about rodeos, powwows and horse trails. Are there warehouse job openings in this area? We are from indiana and have lived in Northern Wisconsin so we are used to the winters with lots of snow. What is an average winter in South Dakota?
Rapid City is an alright place to live.. I am still getting used to the high cost of living here. But when you move out here to the middle of no where. lol. you gotta expect that.
This area is TOTAL farm and ranch country. Trust me, I run the new Tractor Supply Company Farm and Ranch store here in Rapid.. The Farm and Ranch people here are the best people around!! good ole home grown culture... everyone helps one another..
But anyway... everyone is right about the pay here. There are a couple warehouse places here, but the unemployment rate is really high right now and the competition is very high right now. Its an employer market right now for hiring and the wages are the worst i have ever seen them. My wife after almost 6 months of living here is still looking for job!
The rent around here is pretty high.. if you are not to selective you can get a place for the price you are looking for over on the west side of town. There are some really nice places, but your looking at over 1000 a month for that.
The best place for BBQ is the FireHouse Bar and Grill. They have the best BBQ Ribs in town!! they have an all you can eat weds. for like 20.00 and we are not talking tiny ribs here. these things are MASSIVE!! HAHA
Over all, if you stand spending a little more then your are used to as far as cost of living.. Rapid is a great place. Good luck with your relocation and hey.. need anything for your horse.. come check out the new store!
thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City