Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 01:45 PM

64 posts, read 260,989 times

Advertisements

I'll be flying from LAX to RAP for the week of new years, and can't decide which to go with. Since there are only a couple of airliners that fly into RAP, my choices are Frontier, United, or Delta. Anyone have any experience with any of these airlines? I plan on leaving early in the morning and being in Rapid around noon, but I'm sure weather will be a problem. Not sure either if it would be better to connect in Denver or Salt Lake. I'm thinking Salt Lake since less traffic goes through there. Some tips and advice would be great since I'm not a big flyer. What's the weather usually like around new years? How many feet of snow will be on the ground? haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 02:36 PM

451 posts, read 976,864 times
Default Airlines

Hi Max - we just traveled from Tucson to Rapid City in early October on United. It was a very good trip. The flights were on time (with one exception due to good reasons). We flew from Tucson into Denver and then an hour later from Denver to Rapid City. This was a regional airline and I have to say it worked out very well. Smaller planes, but no big deal. We did carry on luggage, but if they had been too large the airlines would take your bag right at the gate and stow it below. You just needed to wait (not long) when the flights landed to retrieve same. That was my biggest deal for us not checking bags - I don't want to start out a vacation at Target buying what I already own!!

We flew home through quite a storm and severe turbulence. We were not allowed to get up on the return flight to Denver due to same. Again, well announced and planned for by the airlines. When landing in Denver there was a plane sitting in our gate so we sat wondering how the hotels were in Denver as we only had a 1/2 hour to connect. The blocking plane finally moved, we got off first and ran. The people at the gate were great, good communication and they knew and turns out we didn't even have to run.

Overall - great prices - 3 days, 2 night hotel, 3 day car rental plus airfare for two people for just over $650. Plus, on time flights ! However, that is just airline info - I am sure many others can help you much better than I can with weather info and flying during your specific time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City