Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times

Advertisements

To complain about nothing to do, shows a lack of creativity, just look around there is always something to do. Doesn't matter where you go. It might not always be interesting at first. However you might find that it is interesting or fun or whatever. It always comes down to making a location what it is, but attitude and actions. You make it what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 PM

259 posts, read 850,917 times
I spent 3 months short of 6 years stationed at Ellsworth. I loved every minute of my time in South Dakota. I'm an outdoorsy type person so my second home was the Black Hills. Off roading, hunting, camping...I did it all. Before and after I got married if we had absolutely nothing to do we'd just go drive through the hills. We always found something new on those drives. Pactola was our favorite place to go. Especially with our dogs since they love to swim. I left SD in October and am now living in Alamogordo, NM. Some people say this place sucks too, but the wife and I are loving it down here.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 23,905 times
Well, it looks like I upset a few people. It's too bad I can't have my own opinion like everyone else. Before you lash out and get all defensive about your oh-so-wonderful state, keep in mind we all our entitled to our own opinions, and if you don't like mine, then just ignore it. The only reason I am lashing back is because I feel like I have to defend myself after reading a couple comments such as, "To complain about nothing to do, shows lack of creativity....", and "Have you ever looked into what's outside the gate?" Well, hate to break it to ya guys, but I'm an extremely creative person (how could I not be after living here for so long and actually surviving the dullness of it?), and I have most definitely "looked into what's outside the gate." One of the many places I have been to around here is Sturgis, but I wasn't that impressed. I guess I'm a loser for hating scandelous calls and nothing but naked women running around...not to mention having to carry concealed because of all the freaks, and then having to deal with the leftovers around town who are drunk or drugged out looking for rides back home or to Soiux Falls because they spent all their money. Most of the activities that were listed by ElkHunter can only be done in the summer, unless freezing your you-know-what off sounds appealing, which to me doesn't, considering I come from a place with perfect 70 to 80 degree, sunny weather all year round. So, with that being said, you're gonna spend a fortune in the summer on some of the only things to do here if you want to do them all, since there is nothing else going on....but remember, you gotta also spend money on groceries, bills, ect., so summer activities are going to add up after awhile, because, I'll say it for the second time, 90% of the activities listed were things to do in the SUMMER. Why am I going to want to go to the lake in the dead middle of winter when it's anywhere from 16 to -5 degrees or colder out? For ice fishing? No thank you. How about taking a boat trip into sparkling, blue waters just off the coast of a beautiful, Florida island and fishing for huge tropical fish and soaking up the sunlight? Ever done that? I have...thousands of times when I lived there. How about going surfing on crazy, California waves and then maybe going to Disneyland that afternoon, then the next day picking fresh strawberries from the dirt and hiking through tall, forest trees up north? Ever done that? I have....thousands of times when I lived there. What about exploring old, indian ruins and capturing some of the most breath taking desert sceneries around in Arizona? Ever done that? I have....thousands of times when I lived there. How about having the thrill of your life witnessing tornodoes form no more than a couple miles from your home and knowing that most of the people you know could never imagine seeing the sky that color of green or clouds that amazingly vicious, while living in Kansas? Ever done that? I have....thousands of times when I lived there. I have been to Belize, Cozumel, Panama, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Costa Rica, Grand Caymen, and so many others locations that I can't even think of all of them right now. I have been to at least half if not more than half of the states in our country. I have met people from every single walk of life, in so many regions of the US or other parts of the world. And you know what? Out of all the things I have experienced in my life and all the people I have met, I have never witnessed a more dull, boring, and useless place than South Dakota, whose residents equal to that of the state's description. I have done many things around here. But as you can tell, I have done and seen many things in other places, too, and this place doesn't even begin to compare. I understand that a place can be drastically different from the next, but I came here with open arms and an open mind, and more and more I began to feel let down and dissappointed in South Dakota. Yes, there are some decent, friendly people here, but for the most part, everyone seems so unhappy. Also yes, there are bad drivers everywhere, but I can't believe how many wrecks people get into around here. It's funny, because once bad weather hits, it seems that every single person around has this need to be out on the road driving like a maniac. I hate how you can't even go grocery shopping early in the morning without everything being picked over because of some dreaded storm heading this way for the hundreth freakin' time in a month. Can you explain the DUI's? Since I last saw, Ellsworth has a count down of how many days it's been since the last DUI from a military member. You know what it was a couple days ago? 7 days!!!! That's pathetic. Tell me, why is it that someone who is in the military, who knows they will get creamed by the AF if they get caught, risk that? My vote is because this place is depressing and boring, and that's the only thing to do! I love how there is a strip club right off base....classy. That sure is representing the military well, isn't it? Oh, and I love the trailer park of Box Elder that Ellsworth is practically located in. Such a pretty site. And yeah....I'm pretty sure the military is the bulk of the economy here. Ellsworth alone brings in thousands of people to this state, particularly to Rapid City, obviously. South Dakota has a population of 812,000 people in the whole state....not very impressive. Rapid City is the second-largest city here, and even with that in mind, it still holds only 62,000 people. It's the only tourist location with more things to do than anywhere else around here. So with only 62 thousand people pretty much holding down the South Dakota economy, it would crumble without the 8 THOUSAND residents Ellsworth pulls in, plus the tourist season....which only happens ONCE a year. That's pretty sad. So South Dakota needs to start respecting the military more and give discounts in it's military community, and you all need to start thanking God for Mt. Rushmore bringing in summer vacationers, because without those two things, South Dakota would crumble. What kind of shopping do you have here?! None! Coach, Bloomingdales, Louis Vuitton, and even some lower end retailers don't want to bother establishing stores here, because people around here don't make enough money, therefore the shopping and restaurants are mediocre, making the most popular location of South Dakota depend on tourism and the Air Force, because good shopping isn't available. If there are truely that many things to do here, then why do I see several comments from the same people (more like just one person) over and over again? Go out and do one of the "many" things that's been listed, instead of sitting on the computer waiting for someone to come along and write another post on the same topic. The hunting is terrible (go catch yourself a real 10 point buck in Kansas....whitetail worth hunting, not SD whitetail with no developement or mule deer that just stand there), people here can't drive to save their life, the weather sucks, there's nothing to do, the base is small and not up to Air Force standards (why do you think so many officials come here to asses it's worth every other month?), Mt. Rushmore is worthless after going so many times, the man-made lakes are terrible, the fish are small, the highway's are crap......I could go on and on and on, from how terrible the base is to how terrible everything else is, but I'm done. I think I've said more than enough and have defended myself thoroughly. Sorry to have offended anyone from my last entry, but why can everyone say how wonderful something is, and then the one time someone says something bad, they turn out to be the bad guy? Reply, comment, or post whatever you want back. It doesn't matter to me. I've said my peace. You know my opinion and I know yours, and I'm sure not one of us is going to budge, so have a great day, and truely, I'm glad you all are happy here. It's nice to come across people who are happy with their lives. It may not seem like it, but I love my life, even if it is here. Sadly and honestly, I can't say the same for 98% of the people I meet here, so good for you guys who like it.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:40 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser20 View Post
What kind of shopping do you have here?! None! Coach, Bloomingdales, Louis Vuitton, and even some lower end retailers don't want to bother establishing stores here, because people around here don't make enough money, therefore the shopping and restaurants are mediocre, making the most popular location of South Dakota depend on tourism and the Air Force, because good shopping isn't available.
There's a Coach at The Empire Mall in Sioux Falls. So will you please come back now?!?!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
There's a Coach at The Empire Mall in Sioux Falls. So will you please come back now?!?!
I don't think that person will Danny. In the long rant, with no paragraph breaks, the person explains exactly why they are disgruntled. We should respect the fact that it's probably the first military base they've ever been on. Because every base is exactly that way. Strip clubs right out the front gate, bad part of town right out the front gate, etc...

As to 60,000 people holding down the economy? Let me tell you, the black hills is not the main stay of the state. You'd better take into account the other 400,000 employed people in the rest of the state. I could only venture to guess how much wheat, corn, barley, flax, cattle come out of South Dakota to feed the rest of the nation.

To the op. Please don't get the idea that everybody feels the way this person does.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:12 PM

412 posts, read 957,901 times
Having lived up and down the west coast and in Arizona, I've never regretted coming here. Disneyland is fun for a while, then it loses its luster. The beach is beautiful, though you have to share it with 100,000 other people who all want to use it at the exact same time you do and there's so much sewage and garbage in the water that you can't go in. The Camp Pendleton base had the same shabby areas--with much higher crime--right outside its gates. If you want to see some spectacularly bad driving coupled with wall-to-wall traffic, try driving in metropolitan SoCal or Phoenix. Yegads. 72F and sunny or overcast with smog and no change of seasons gets tiresome. Those Arizona deserts are brutally hot in the summer. 120F, anyone? Living on a little postage stamp lot where you can hear your neighbor cut himself shaving and paying $500k for the privilege gets tiresome too. Wages are much higher in SoCal and somewhat higher in Arizona, but you don't get to keep that money because it all goes into your rent or mortgage. How do people afford those Coach bags? Credit, and lots of it. Everyone I knew had a mountain of debt.

My friends thought I'd gone off my rocker when I said I was moving to South Dakota. But what I was looking for was peace and quiet, wide open spaces, places to ride horses, a nice, comfortable house with some land and privacy, a reasonable cost of living, distinct seasons, friendly people, low crime, clean air and an easy commute to work. Found it all. Is it flawless? Nope. I could do without the occasional bitter cold snap in the winter and I'm soooo not crazy about shoveling snow. There's still plenty to do in the winter, though most of it's indoors unless you like winter sports. Just look at the event calendars on the Rapid City Journal's site. I personally like riding and hiking in the snow and enjoy seeing the lakes frozen over. In Arizona the seasons were reversed, and there was a good part of the year where people didn't do anything outdoors because it was too dang hot.

It all comes down to what you're seeking, I suppose. Someone who needs a temperate climate and tons of shopping and excitement to be happy will probably be dissatisfied in the Dakotas, because that's not what we've got. But that's not what I came looking for. Not every place is perfect for every person. If I was exiled to Florida or SoCal I'd be miserable, and yet these are many peoples' idea of paradise. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:21 PM

451 posts, read 976,802 times
Kbat - I just wanted to say I agreed with your post. It is all in the eye of the beholder. We're in AZ currently. Your description was accurate in my opinion; especially regarding the hearing everything one's neighbor does. That is the life you live on a postage stamp (16 feet from garage end to garage end).

We're ready to sell. After 3 TPD visits and two visits by the city...one violation finally ended (that a particular neighbor was guilty of). We are now enjoying (not) the honking of the horn (as in laying on it) when this particular neighbor drives by our home (they think it was us who complained for some reason). I am wondering how to spin this when we show the home (look at the friendly way they say hello....?).

So, once we move I am wondering if 8 acres will be enough when we buy/build again. I want to sit on my rock by Pactola Lake (yes, in one visit I did claim a rock ) and decompress these ten years out of my system. Though I really respect the opinions given by all here. I guess it does come down to what your priorities are. Mine are peace and quiet so that I can do rotating day/night shifts if necessary. I also love the four seasons. I would be very happy to sit in a boat on a lake any and all days off. I don't particularly care if I catch fish or not.

Anyway, I guess I took a long winded time to agree with your post. Very well put; different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I don't think that person will Danny. In the long rant, with no paragraph breaks, the person explains exactly why they are disgruntled. We should respect the fact that it's probably the first military base they've ever been on. Because every base is exactly that way. Strip clubs right out the front gate, bad part of town right out the front gate, etc...

As to 60,000 people holding down the economy? Let me tell you, the black hills is not the main stay of the state. You'd better take into account the other 400,000 employed people in the rest of the state. I could only venture to guess how much wheat, corn, barley, flax, cattle come out of South Dakota to feed the rest of the nation.

To the op. Please don't get the idea that everybody feels the way this person does.
I got into a similar discussion about the economy a while back. Agriculture and those who service agriculture are the main industries in the state. Tourism was number two.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 AM

7 posts, read 28,316 times
Well we have been here for a little over a month now and we all really like it. We have already met a lot of great people. We cant wait till the summer to really get to enjoy some outdoors stuff. Our drive up was good, we came after the big christmas storm and had clear roads the whole way. I was really surprised by the base housing... not as bad as i thought! They may be old but at least there isnt a pet deposit! Thanks for all the insight and info on the area!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:44 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,579,971 times
To Cruiser20

Sorry, I couldn't get through your whole paragraph. Most people use different paragraphs when they change thoughts, kind of like taking a breath when you finish a sentence or phrase. I do have a friend who writes like you do, it's kind of fun to try and figure out what he's saying.

I don't know how old you are, but from the things you say you have done and witnessed (thousands of tornadoes????) I would have to think you are about 90 or more. So, I can certainly understand why you would not like to get out of the house in the winter or visit a strip club like most of the young airmen do.

Truely, it sounds like you are happiest in a warm, beach setting. You basically mention loving California and Florida. If you are in the military (can't imagine how a 90-year old can be, but maybe I'm confused and you really are a young person who fibs about how much he has seen and done), perhaps you should check into stations in Hawaii or Guam. Both are incredibly beautiful places with great fishing and surfing. Of course, you will still have to put up with nearly naked, drunk people asking for rides home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City