Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 AM

50 posts, read 104,151 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. We are moving to the Rapid area from Allen Texas in June. We have found a place to rent but before I took the plunge I wanted to see if there are any opinions about the Black Hawk area. I have been reading this forum for the past year and am very thankful for all the members input on many subjects regarding our state and the Black Hills area. It has been tremendously helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 12:55 PM

68 posts, read 172,047 times
Black hawk is best looked at as a bedroom community more then anything. pretty much all the amenities are a short shoot on I90. income levels are pretty diverse, with both trailer houses, standard suburban neighborhoods, and more affluent houses up in the hills, making the area mostly very neutral. black hawk itself is not incorporated, so taxes are a bit lower, however, the town lacks many of the benefits of a incorporated community.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:56 PM

50 posts, read 104,151 times
Thanks for the reply NEVA. That's kind of what I figured about the place. Sounds like a good fit for our needs for few months. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Black Hawk would be a good spot to start looking for a place to buy. Just across the border into Meade County. (Preferred by property tax and land use benefits)

Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjprince View Post
Thanks for the reply NEVA. That's kind of what I figured about the place. Sounds like a good fit for our needs for few months. Thanks!
Black Hawk is a really nice area. I would take it in a heart beat. It's not far from Rapid City and is quiet, less neighborhood then town. I would really look at land around there. Rapid City is expanding in that direction. Investment, envestment envestoment. Take it for what it's worth. But think 10-20 years down the road.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 PM

412 posts, read 958,218 times
I like Black Hawk... it's a quiet, peaceful place a little higher up in the foothills than Rapid. It's an easy drive to anywhere you need to go, though there isn't much to the town itself. We've looked at properties in the area. Some parts of Black Hawk are very decrepit and run-down. Others are nice, plain working-class neighborhoods. There are some upscale houses appearing there now too. It seems to be growing (though I hope it doesn't grow too much, too fast).

Old 05-30-2010, 09:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Actually went down to Rapid City on Saturday. Couldn't believe the way it has built up out in that direction. Used to live in Rapid and travel out of town to visit my cousins. Now I have to drive into town to visit them. They didn't move, the darn city surounded them. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City