U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 01:59 PM

12 posts, read 30,447 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this post.
If I have a friend who doesn't want to use me I only forgive them if they have used the realtor they picked over me in the past.
This just seems really... extreme. So what if your friend doesn't use you as their agent? Wouldn't that actually be better, since your friendship won't be strained if the real estate transaction doesn't go well?

Apparently this is common enough that RealtyTimes.com wrote about it: Why Did My Friend Hire Someone Else?

Now I'm a writer who's researching an article on this subject, not a Realtor (R), so I'm certainly not an expert on the ins and outs of client/agent relationships! I'd really like to see what professionals have to say about this situation.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 PM

14,929 posts, read 36,641,854 times
Well the guy in that thread said he had psychological problems and I am guessing that is why his friends chose someone else to begin with. His friends know that he has some issues and don't want to deal with that in a real estate transaction.

I think it depends on how you define friend. There are good friends and casual friends. I sold a good friends house and quite frankly don't think I will do that again. Casual friends seem to go just fine.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:56 PM

10,128 posts, read 19,836,011 times
Interesting thread. I've only had that happen a handful of times and never with someone I consider a close friend. Also, they always used their previous Realtor so I wasn't too worried about it.

1-I have worked with a close friend and didn't particularly enjoy it. I had mixed emotions because I know I'm the person most likely to get them top dollar for the least hassle but I don't enjoy working with friends because RE can be so emotional for the client. I would do it again, but I have considered just referring it out.
2-Acquaintances and casual friends, no problems. Close friends can be stressful.
3-If the friends aren't using the agent, there is probably a good reason. The agent shouldn't get mad, he should get better.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 AM

179 posts, read 417,147 times
Being a fairly new agent, I've had several 'friends' use other people because of previous relationships or probably because they felt more comfortable going with someone with more experience. However, I'm about to walk through this on the other side. A friend of mine has a flipper and will be selling it soon. Her best friend's husband is an agent with my company, and has been for probably 5yrs. I was shocked when she asked me to list it. I asked her if she had discussed this with them (because I'm thinking... awkward moment in my future - the wife is also a 'friend'), and she said, 'no, why should I?'...ohhh kaayyy... Maybe she was thinking along these lines, but he is also a relatively negative person who hasn't been overly successful.

I agree with Brandon, unless the transaction goes super smooth, I'd rather work with casual friends than really close ones.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 AM

12 posts, read 30,447 times
Thanks, everyone for your responses! As a writer, I've worked for friends and experienced some of the same feelings - I didn't want to strain the friendship, but sometimes my professional scruples were twanged. I would definitely hesitate to do it again!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 AM

11,562 posts, read 31,708,789 times
My sister and brother in law stayed with us for 6 weeks after they moved here from Texas. Then they moved into an apartment. Before their lease ran out they bought a new home. Neither one asked me to help them find a place.

I heard from my husband's mother every single thing the builder was doing wrong. What was funny is I did sell a house on the same block to another couple.

After closing, they met and got to talking. One said how great the builder was, the experience was good and they would do it again. The other said I will never buy a new house again. The buyer that was represented said next time you should use our Realtor she was great....

Imagine my sister in law shock, when the other buyer's agent was me.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:10 AM

9,053 posts, read 15,860,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
My sister and brother in law stayed with us for 6 weeks after they moved here from Texas. Then they moved into an apartment. Before their lease ran out they bought a new home. Neither one asked me to help them find a place.

I heard from my husband's mother every single thing the builder was doing wrong. What was funny is I did sell a house on the same block to another couple.

After closing, they met and got to talking. One said how great the builder was, the experience was good and they would do it again. The other said I will never buy a new house again. The buyer that was represented said next time you should use our Realtor she was great....

Imagine my sister in law shock, when the other buyer's agent was me.
HaHa - great story - served her right.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:40 AM

434 posts, read 1,229,388 times
I've got a listing right now, seller is a friend. Things are VERY slow in their neighborhood, so the stress is there on my end to do what I can to get their house sold. They're hip to real estate and are patient, I just worry I'll get a call out of the blue, "We've decided to list with someone else." or something along those lines...There's lots of communication and all's well, but assuming all's well would be a big mistake.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 8,356 times
Default Loosing Ted

Hey,
I am presently looking for Ted from Austin Texas. He has been in Los Angeles at the Holiday Inn during 16.06.2010 and 18.06.2010. He is working in the game industry, 38 years old, approx. 1,75 m tall, dark hair.
Does anybody has an idea, how I can find him ? I am from Germany.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:50 PM

7,525 posts, read 15,780,267 times
I would not try to list for a friend. It's been a long time since I tried selling (I appraise now), but I want to be able to fire a realtor without causing a family fight or losing a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals