Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 PM

244 posts, read 747,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Thank you for your comments and support.

I just realized I have fallen into my own trap again: I do everything I can to make sure I am represented correctly and fairly, and somehow unconsciously expect everyone else do do the same! Gotta watch that!

Unfortunately lots of people like me NEED to sell NOW! The economy is in the toilet and I can't afford to stay in my own home any longer than necessary. You are right about that comment though. And I have done everything I can to be prepared for the ordeal!
Not to side with the agent that came early or the ones that never showed I have to look into this. You state you have been on the market for months and have plenty of showings, however your house has not sold. I am going to take a shot in the dark here and say maybe it is time to lower the price. I feel for you on all the other things that have been happening to you but the writing is on the wall. If you "can't" lower the price then it does not matter how many showings you have the property will not even get an offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think you have to give buyers slack that come when there are features they don't want. Keep in mind that the feedback you get isn't necessarily the honest truth. It may be easier to say they didn't like the house because it didn't or did have something than to say I thought it was ugly.

Also, as others have pointed out sometimes you hope there is a feature that might outweigh the feature you don't have.
I understand that there is a lot of wiggle-room in a showing. I don't mind at all if someone leaves a comment about not liking this or that. It's part of the experience, I get it. I don't care what they say; everyone is different and has different expectations.

But really, did the people who came here yesterday not do their homework? I think not. They had a small baby and when they saw the pool in my backyard, they nixed the showing and left. As I said, I work really hard on making my property presentable. It was just rude on their part to not even look at the listing pictures!

By the way, I feel sympathy for realtors who have to work with buyers who don't know what they are doing. You can only do so much. One poor lady only found out her buyers didn't want a house that didn't have a first floor master, and was embarrased to have to tell me she did not know that... because they had not told her. One more showing in the tank!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byoak View Post
Not to side with the agent that came early or the ones that never showed I have to look into this. You state you have been on the market for months and have plenty of showings, however your house has not sold. I am going to take a shot in the dark here and say maybe it is time to lower the price. I feel for you on all the other things that have been happening to you but the writing is on the wall. If you "can't" lower the price then it does not matter how many showings you have the property will not even get an offer.
You are on the right trail. I have already lowered the price by $35,000 and have just yesterday sent an email to my agent asking if we should go lower.

Part of the problem was that after 6 months with a realtor who did as little as humanly possible to get my house sold (I only had ONE real showing during that time!) I switched realtors. I can honestly say that most of the problem was coming from his lack of effort.

The current realtor is the one who knocked herself out to get my listing up and running and did a bunch of stuff the first guy never even mentioned, and so far after only a couple of months I have had in the neighborhood of 25 showings. I am so glad I switched but that experience set me back by 6 months.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
2. Don’t make an appointment for a two-hour window and then not show up, or just come and look at the outside of the house and leave. My home has special features that not everyone wants and I do everything I can to make my home presentable EVERY TIME I get a showing. Not everyone has the physical limitations that I do, but really, try to be considerate of the time the seller puts into getting ready and then finding something to do for an hour or two, sometimes multiple times in one day.
I have to say, I won't force a buyer to go into a house if the second we pull up, it's an immediate and instant no. (And usually, those reasons aren't apparent by just the listing.)

It's a waste of everyone's time ... try not to take it personally.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I have to say, I won't force a buyer to go into a house if the second we pull up, it's an immediate and instant no. (And usually, those reasons aren't apparent by just the listing.)

It's a waste of everyone's time ... try not to take it personally.
The pictures of my property are abundant and clear. If a prospective buyer needs two hours to make an instant decision, something is wrong with that and it's just inconsiderate; hence the reason for my thread.

If the outside of the home is so important and a drive-by would suffice for enough information to make the decision to look at it or not, why not just drive by and THEN ask for an appointment, or not?

I would think that if a buyer has looked at the listing and is interested enough to make an appointment, going inside to see if that makes up for whatever lacks outside would just make sense.

Second-guessing anyone is never a good idea, but I am just asking buyers and realtors to consider the effort it takes for a seller to show a house.

As I said, I try to do the best job I can and somehow have mistakenly expected that from other people. You'd think I would learn!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:42 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
But really, did the people who came here yesterday not do their homework? I think not. They had a small baby and when they saw the pool in my backyard, they nixed the showing and left. As I said, I work really hard on making my property presentable. It was just rude on their part to not even look at the listing pictures!

By the way, I feel sympathy for Realtors who have to work with buyers who don't know what they are doing. You can only do so much. One poor lady only found out her buyers didn't want a house that didn't have a first floor master, and was embarrassed to have to tell me she did not know that... because they had not told her. One more showing in the tank!
A good buyers agent will discuss many of these features and the buyers lifestyles to narrow what we show our client. Two of the very 1st criteria I ask a buyer is about a pool and master bedroom downstairs. Those are very big issues here in TX.

I am too busy to show buyers homes that don't fit their needs. I'd rather show them 10 that are perfect then 30 that are not.

That's why many agents don't stay in the business.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
The pictures of my property are abundant and clear. If a prospective buyer needs two hours to make an instant decision, something is wrong with that and it's just inconsiderate; hence the reason for my thread.

If the outside of the home is so important and a drive-by would suffice for enough information to make the decision to look at it or not, why not just drive by and THEN ask for an appointment, or not?

I would think that if a buyer has looked at the listing and is interested enough to make an appointment, going inside to see if that makes up for whatever lacks outside would just make sense.

Second-guessing anyone is never a good idea, but I am just asking buyers and realtors to consider the effort it takes for a seller to show a house.

As I said, I try to do the best job I can and somehow have mistakenly expected that from other people. You'd think I would learn!
Listen, I get you're upset and venting ... but sometimes buyers just know it's not the house because it doesn't feel right.

Or they don't want to be near power lines ... which didn't show up in the listing.

Or didn't want to be backed up to a busy street ... which didn't show up in the listing.

Or didn't want a shared driveway ... which didn't show up in the listing.

Or didn't want to live next door to the guy who parks his 75 foot RV with four flat tires in his driveway ... which didn't show up in the listing.

Some buyers are re-locating and aren't in the position to do drivebys ... and the agent might not know that any of the above scenarios are deal breakers.

It really just its what it is ... and that's the way it shakes out sometimes.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:

Realtors understand the effort to show a house. However, it really is not the Buyers problem. This is where it becomes necessary to remind yourself that this is strictly a business transaction, not personal.

Buyers are looking at a product to see if it suits their lists of wants/needs, has good bones, meets their price range, etc..... . What you had to do to help it fit that list of wants and requirements is what it takes to bring any product to market successfully.

Don't expect anyone to pat you on the back and tell you that you are doing a good job unless it is yourself, your spouse or your own Realtor. I repeat: it is business, not personal.

Good luck with your marketing and sale!

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-13-2010 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
That realtor went over to my home after I told the service I wasn’t there, and let herself in! She invaded my privacy and she did it on purpose. If she had done that today, I would have raised holy (((*&&, but they have the sellers over a barrel and they know it.
By the way, I meant to address this earlier:

If this agent entered your home after you denied the request, I would report them.

This is a HUGE no-no in my neck of the woods, and I would guess in most others as well - you can definitely be fined severely for this and I would make sure they're reported.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
I generally ask buyers not only what they want, but also what they don't want - it helps eliminate at least some showings from the start.
Of course then there are buyers who completely reverse their initial "requirements"

I also agree with Chuckity about drive-bys - if they're not from the area, they're not likely to drive 1-2 hrs one way to check out a house without being able to see the inside while they're there... Have a few buyers like that at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals