Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:51 AM

8 posts, read 32,537 times

Advertisements

Sorry, Smokymtngal, didn't mean to misuse the forum in any way. Just got off on a roll since the original question is "why be a realtor". I'm relatively new to the forum, so don't how to change my status. Didn't see it in the profile set-up, but certainly was not trying to hide any facts. Will investigate it to set it up better.

Thanks so much for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 12:13 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
You owe me no apologies and I apologize if I came across wrong. I certainly didn't mean to chastise you in anyway. I am so glad that you are here! I think it is very nice that realtor's have the little house designation next to their name. Perhaps mbmouse or another realtor can help with how to set it up. I haven't a clue.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:17 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
At the beginning of the Real Estate Professionals chat area, there is a sticky post, Real Estate Agents Read This, Change your user group. Go there and read that and I think the link is there as well. Anyway, it will tell you how.

good luck.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Default A little different tilt.

I came at all this from a little different direction.

I retired from a fortune 100 reasonably well off after a 35 year career as an engineering executive.

Did not do much for a while. Spent half of half the year in Catalina on our boat occassionally did a long haul sail as crew for somebody, spent a couple of weeks in Mexico each January to get away from the Vegas cold. Probably spent a little more money than we should have and begin to find it repetitious. Wife, who had a life long interest in real estate, which had treated her kindly earlier, decided that she wanted to be in RE.

I of course said no way...I have spent my life in battle with salesman and marketers can't stand the breed never...

She responded that OK but I had to go to RE school with her because she has troubles with books and tests and I don't.

Well anyway that all went well and I agreed to get licensed more to be an avaiable helper than to really get in the business myself.

Then we get off into how to make money at it. Before I know it I am up to my elbows in web sites and advertising budgets and how to reach the base and all that.

I also find out I actually like the people contact. She is still the primary sales person...but I often click with people she does not.

We have the great advantage that we don't starve to death when the market slows...a very big advantage in a market like Las Vegas.

So there is my story...tricked and trapped into the business by a wily female...but I enjoy it now.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
Some engineers (that like people) can be great in Real Estate. Most agents are very outgoing and impulsive. But our clients aren't. You have the ability to sit back and put on your engineers cap and take it slow. Good for you. I bet you two make a great team. thanks for sharing your story.

shelly

Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 AM

72,416 posts, read 18,200,999 times
There's been engineers in our offfice,one couldn't handle it because it is not a job.You have to be pro-active,and need to talk to people.The other one had contacts lasted longer.
Have faith and you will succeed.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,872 times
Here at the office where I have my license, this is a question that has come up a few times with some rather interesting answers. I, myself, chose this profession when I was approached by the top realtor in our area. She knew me as an office manager for a local manufacturing company. Following up on her advice I attended classes at our local community college and found that I really liked what I was learning in order to take the state and federal tests. That was 20 years ago and I have enjoyed most of my career. I say most due to the fact that I had at one time bought a franchise and opened up my own office in our rural community. With a few outstanding agents, I managed to stay in business for a little over 4 years. Then closed my office and put my license with another company. I have stayed with this business because I do enjoy working with people and especially the contacts with other professionals prior to closing, i.e. title companies, surveyors, well and septic/lagoon installers, inspectors and all others. Making the seller and buyer happy with the process and the outcome is extrememly inportant to me. I do not appreciate the back-stabbing and pettiness of some agents in my area and strive to maintain an attitude of uinderstanding and compassion with my dealings with all. It is not an easy business and ther are many times when you do have to step back and ask yourself, 'why am I doing this'? But when you think of all of the help you have given others and the personal rewards, it makes that an easy question to answer. Like others in this forum have said before me, it is that extra mile that you go for clients that does make all of the differnce. That is why sometimes it hurts when you read so many negative comments from sellers/buyers whom have experienced untypical and downright deplorable attention from their contact(s) with real estate agents. I am older now, which does not make me nessesarily wiser but this is a challanging and rewarding career that I hope to continue for many years to come. It's that, pardon the expression, 'gut feeling' that you have at the end of the day, that tells you, 'hey, you did good.'

Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 PM

59 posts, read 262,137 times
I am realtively new at the RE business and absolutely love it so far. I have always been interested in RE but as life would have it not able to pursue becasue of financial responsibilities. I have been employed for 29 years as an Administrative Assistant at a large Universit and will be retiring in three years. I have a friend who has been a Real Estate agent for about five years and whenever I would see her she would constantly encourage me to take the leap and become an agent. I am and have always been active in my community (city council for 18 years), school and church and have always been told that I would be good at real estate. So in January I took vacation, attended school and passed my tests to get my license. I have had one closing and have three current listings even though I am only working part-time. I really enjoy work with the younger couples in helping them find their first home. This feeling of helping them realize their dreams in an added benefit that I really did not expect. I hope to have my business established by the time I retire in three years and can do this full time.
Carolyn

Old 07-09-2007, 02:15 PM

415 posts, read 705,484 times
by accident. I do web design and search engine optimization for real estate people and then got into it myself.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:05 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,534 times
I would go into the business, but being as honest as i am, I prolly strave to death first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals