Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:49 PM

17,369 posts, read 14,613,136 times

Advertisements

1. Broker's opens & Open Houses have very localized success. They really don't work in my neck of the woods. At all.

2. This is slow season. Made even slower by the tax credit earlier this year that has seemed to suck all of the 2010 buyers out of the entire year. Made even slower by the current economic climate. Overall, the market blows.

3. How many comparable homes have gone under contract since you went on the market? This is always the best gauge to me ... I can drive buyers to a house - but if there are no buyers, I can't create them out of thin air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 06:23 PM

470 posts, read 1,500,271 times
In truth, regardless of what you see on HGTV, open houses result is sales of that home well under 5% of the time.

Those are all good questions on comps, especially if there are short sales and REO properties available in the neighborhood.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:48 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
open houses result is sales of that home well under 1% of the time.
Here you go. Fixed that for you.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:14 AM

494 posts, read 179,884 times
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really expecting to sell in 2 weeks and wasn't expecting a ton of people to be beating down our door. I was basically trying to get an idea of a proper marketing plan for a home and what to expect from a realtor. Regarding the comps, each analysis had 3 recently sold homes and 3 listed homes. Our price point is not an issue based on everythng we've seen. Unfortunately as stated before this market sucks big time.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 AM

470 posts, read 1,500,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Here you go. Fixed that for you.
The NAR statistic indicates that less than 1% of homes sold were the result of open house. Not all, probably not even a large majority of homes sold had open houses. It doesn't indicate what percentage of homes that held one or more open houses sold as a result of it.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM

249 posts, read 882,554 times
I don't think you should be concerned about the length of time you have been on the market. However i think you should be concerned about your chioce in agent. There are good and bad in every profession. I do know the higher their commission the harder they work.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:24 PM

17,369 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC49 View Post
I do know the higher their commission the harder they work.
Sorry.

No.

Buzz wrong.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
Back in the day when I was a licensed realtor, when I did open houses (and I did a lot of them LOL), early early in the morning, I'd put out a ton of signs, on every busy intersection and leading directly to the house. I put up balloons and even on a bad weather day, I always had at the very least 5 - 6 people come in.
I remember this sad little house I did open houses for every weekend for about 2 months LOL, it got so bad from the same people seeing it that the neighbors knew me. The only time I didn't have any person show at all, I had three neighbors LOL

Whoever said that if it's sitting with NO interest for a few weeks - could be overpriced. I completely agree with. When we were house hunting, if it wasn't in the price range we were looking or we felt it should be priced at, we wouldn't even look at it.

Good luck, it's got to be frustrating!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 AM

147 posts, read 411,720 times
I'm not a real estate professional but can share with you my personal experience. Due to my husband's job relocation to NJ (we're in NY-Long Island), we had to list our house for sale in July. The first open house, only 1 person came. The 2nd open house, only 2 people came and very few showings. In Aug, it was dead. No showings at all!

Then 2 weekends ago, there were 2 showings on Sat and the next day, we had an offer, albeit a low one. Today, we came to an agreement on the price.

All in all, we had less than 10 showings. It's a slow market but all you need is one buyer. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 AM

171 posts, read 790,437 times
You mentioned the pictures. I just want to add that pictures make ALL the difference in the world.
I'm not sure the exact number, but I've read most people decide ahead of time online which houses they will tour in person. You have to pull them in with the MLS listing or you will be looked over. Give someone a reason for your house to make their "short list!"
In my opinion, to sell in this market, your house has to be a major steal or have tons of "wow" factor (and still be priced well.)
It's rough out there - we finally sold our house after adding 25k in improvements and reducing it 40k. Ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals