Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
As I said, it's just about semantics, but that is doesn't usually happen. When a contract is executed, it is preceived that the buyer is ready (as they put a date for anticipated closing), willing (they didn't sign under duress), and able (they provided a pre-approval letter from a reputable lender). So, at execution, I would say all three of these things are true at one time. No one wants to execute a contract if the buyer isn't "able", but the assumption is there from information given.

Have agents collected commissions when contract fall through? Yes, many times. There is a lot of case studies on it... but it's not the norm. It happens more often when the seller backs out, and not the buyer.
I can certainly see it when the seller backs out. Makes sense to me. Just seems a bit crazy if the deal falls through because of the buyer that a commission would be paid. In theory a commission could be paid multiple times by the seller in that case without ever selling the house.

And for the record I think any buyer who signs an agreement saying the agent could get paid without the house actually selling should have their head examined unless it is some kind of flat fee type arrangement compensating them for their time.

Last edited by Marka; 09-24-2010 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And for the record I think any buyer who signs an agreement saying the agent could get paid without the house actually selling should have their head examined unless it is some kind of flat fee type arrangement compensating them for their time.
Regardless of commission/compensation model, I can easily imagine myriad scenarios wherein the parties may quite fairly agree to compensation for agent services when a property doesn't sell.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,455 times
Ready, willing and able is the key. Just because some idiot at the "no-tell" lending company says they are "able" doesn't always mean that they are. Your home had some issues....and the timing was an issue. What does it say in your listing agreement when the buyer defaults is one thing. Your agreeement with your agent is another issue. I have never heard of the listing agent retaining an earnest money deposit. 9 times out of 10, it is signed back to the buyer. Learn from this, pay no attention to what she wants and move on. Life is too short for unnecessary haggling.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:32 PM

391 posts, read 1,708,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Thoughts ?

My thought is to wonder why the agent put up with you and not drop you as a client.

My next thought is why you put up with an agent who you considered lazy.

Life is too short.

I don't have an excuse for putting up with the agent. I admitted earlier in the post that this is my fault for keeping her on. However, each time I had the inkling to let her go a contract would come up and I didn't want to let her go in the middle of a pending sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Thoughts ?

My thought is to wonder why the agent put up with you and not drop you as a client.

My next thought is why you put up with an agent who you considered lazy.

Life is too short.

What do you mean put up with me as a client?

Last edited by Marka; 09-24-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-23-2010, 05:34 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
As I said, it's just about semantics, but that is doesn't usually happen. When a contract is executed, it is preceived that the buyer is ready (as they put a date for anticipated closing), willing (they didn't sign under duress), and able (they provided a pre-approval letter from a reputable lender). So, at execution, I would say all three of these things are true at one time. No one wants to execute a contract if the buyer isn't "able", but the assumption is there from information given.

Have agents collected commissions when contract fall through? Yes, many times. There is a lot of case studies on it... but it's not the norm. It happens more often when the seller backs out, and not the buyer.
Ready willing and able. Means ready to perform willing to perform and able to perform. It doesn't mean ready, willing and able to execute a contract. Anybody can execute a contract. all you need is a pen and the ability to sign on the dotted line. When given the opportunity to perform the buyer refused, so he was not willing.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
So the buyer wants to terminate the contract because someone tried to steal the AC unit to the house?
That is correct or at least this is what is told to me by the agent. In other words, buyer has second thoughts.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:

We are not talking about when the seller backs out. We are talking when the buyer backs out. Can you site these case studies that detail a buyer who refuses to perform his end of the contract as "ready, willing and able"? That is of course all that is relevant here.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Wowzers! What a clusterfu** LOL. I don't mean to laugh AT you but wow. Indeed what DO you do in a situation like this? Ohhh heck no, she shouldn't get a dime. Sorry you are going through this.
Thanks Andrea. However, it ends I will chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I am not an agent but in all the homes I have sold I never heard of an agent asking for the earnest deposit. That seems pretty strange.
It seems fishy to me too. Also all she has done so far is send me an email or text. Seems she seems foul about it also or she would have called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Ready, willing and able is the key. Just because some idiot at the "no-tell" lending company says they are "able" doesn't always mean that they are. Your home had some issues....and the timing was an issue. What does it say in your listing agreement when the buyer defaults is one thing. Your agreeement with your agent is another issue. I have never heard of the listing agent retaining an earnest money deposit. 9 times out of 10, it is signed back to the buyer. Learn from this, pay no attention to what she wants and move on. Life is too short for unnecessary haggling.

I agree I shouldn't be stressing over this. I need to make a decision and move on.

Last edited by Marka; 09-24-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcharm View Post
That is correct or at least this is what is told to me by the agent. In other words, buyer has second thoughts.
I can't imagine any contract where a buyer could back out for that reason so it seems like a no brainer that the seller would get the earnest money for terminating over that. Your agent would be correct in fighting for the earnest money for you.

What you do depends on what you agreed to. I have seen some agents get 100% of earnest monies because that is what they wrote in the contract. The flip side is that is gets deducted from the total commission earned so when the next deal comes along, the seller pays the commission-the earnest money payment, so it all works out in the end...as long as the house sells.

What you do is totally up to you if your contract doesn't tell you what happens to that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcharm View Post

To answer your question about the earnest money...it is my agent fighting for the money not me. She is the one initiating the fight. I had no idea originally that earnest money was due me.
So here is where I start to have an issue with your statement that your agent has done nothing for you. It seems like a no brainer that the earnest money is due you, your agent initiated a fight on your behalf, and yet they have done nothing besides send you an email or two?

Last edited by Marka; 09-24-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-23-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
So here is where I start to have an issue with your statement that your agent has done nothing for you. It seems like a no brainer that the earnest money is due you, your agent initiated a fight on your behalf, and yet they have done nothing besides send you an email or two?
Gotcha on that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals