Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:27 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Don't get caught up in tangents. That is how emotions mess up transactions.
Keep your eye on the ball:
Selling your home.

Calculate your net proceeds, and make sure that is acceptable, regardless of who buys your home.
You net the same, wherever the commission goes.

The agent buying your home may well have to pay a split to his company, even though he is buying for himself. Or he may be planning to use his share of the cobroke to cover some of his closing costs.

Whatever. Sell your home for a price that provides a result you can live with.

I agree. Look at the net. If you don't like the net, then recounter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 06:31 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
I see some relevant things above - but thru some everyday chit-chat, try to see if you have a few things in common with your potential agent - get them to like you - if an agent likes you, they are waaayyy more likely to work hard for you than if they don't, and it is a long process so don't do it with someone you are not comfortable with - also ask them about days they rarely work, or avoid working to make sure this doesn't clash with your schedule. Also ask around find out if anyone has dirt on the agent, if other agents like him/her that is the buyers/sellers #1 asset to you - most transactions are co-op so if they play well with others you will be sitting good! Most the technical stuff is secondary in my opinion and thru a few short emails and a look at their listings on-line you will be able to tell if they prove tech-capable. Showing up with a massive list of questions ain't gonna prove squat, cause an agent may be able to "toot a good horn" and show good #'s, but that doesn't mean that they will be a good fit for you. Oh ya, see if they seem privy to gossip with juicy details, if so, run fast cause your confidence is no good to them!

Old 04-21-2010, 05:16 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamarie View Post
I will actually be looking for a listing and buyer agent. Do I have to have the same agent for both? We are looking to move about 45 minutes away- 2 counties over. I want to be sure to have an agent who really knows the area we are looking to move to.
Although only 45 minutes away, I would certainly find two area experts. You can actually endorse both by asking them to co-list, and co-broker your sale and your purchase. Everybody wins, especially you. No, they don't need to be from the same firm either.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
You might ask if this is their full-time job. A lot of realtors try to do it on the side and it doesn't always bode well for the clients in terms of availability.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:02 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamarie View Post
Was wondering if someone could give me some questions I should ask a potential realtor when interviewing
Thanks
I remember this post. One of the best.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
I see some relevant things above - but thru some everyday chit-chat, try to see if you have a few things in common with your potential agent - get them to like you - if an agent likes you, they are waaayyy more likely to work hard for you than if they don't, and it is a long process so don't do it with someone you are not comfortable with - also ask them about days they rarely work, or avoid working to make sure this doesn't clash with your schedule. Also ask around find out if anyone has dirt on the agent, if other agents like him/her that is the buyers/sellers #1 asset to you - most transactions are co-op so if they play well with others you will be sitting good! Most the technical stuff is secondary in my opinion and thru a few short emails and a look at their listings on-line you will be able to tell if they prove tech-capable. Showing up with a massive list of questions ain't gonna prove squat, cause an agent may be able to "toot a good horn" and show good #'s, but that doesn't mean that they will be a good fit for you. Oh ya, see if they seem privy to gossip with juicy details, if so, run fast cause your confidence is no good to them!
Totally agree, along with some of the other questions!

I like to tell my clients that we need to be a "good fit" because when you are the seller, you want to be able to call your agent and actually speak with your agent, without feeling that you are "bothering" them.

When you are the buyer, you need to feel that you can easily communicate with your agent. You need to feel that you can ask questions and get honest answers and you need to feel that your agent understands what you are looking for.

If you don't feel like you can trust your agent or if she isn't working in your best interest, you are not a good fit.

Most definitely, find out if you are going to work with your agent throughout the process or if you are going to be turned over to an assistant. Some folks really prefer to work with one agent instead of a whole team!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals