Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:07 PM

214 posts, read 1,980,986 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if someone could give me some questions I should ask a potential realtor when interviewing
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:59 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,120 times
How many listings do they currently have? How many listings have they sold this yeark, in this market? What is their marketing plan? Can you see some examples of the marketing done on other homes? Can you supply me with some references? How many of your homes have expired this year and why? (expect that maybe some have, it is a tough market, look for the answer as to why). Can I talk to a seller of yours that you have been marketing for a couple of months? What kind of communication style can I expect from you and how often? Are you willing to put all this in writing and I can fire you (with notice to fix first) if you aren't doing what you tell me?

Others will supply more. you can pick and choose. It would be nice if you supplied your list of questions prior to the presentations so the agents can get some of this together for you.

shelly

Old 07-06-2007, 10:35 PM

376 posts, read 1,505,494 times
Here is a little something I send out: 15 Questions You Must Absolutely Ask Your Next Agent Before You Sign on the Dotted Line

1. Client Agent Relationship: Please describe your approach to the client/agent relationship?

2. Setting the Price: What is your approach in pricing? If any Realtor is substantially higher or lower they should be able to justify the price.

3. Market Trends: What is handicapping the market currently?

4. Negotiations: What are your negotiations techniques and how do they benefit sellers?

5. Home Preparation: How would you suggest I maximize my homes sale potential?

6. Team: Who else is on your team and what areas of the process do they work with?

7. Qualified Buyers: How do you qualify buyers to ensure they meet the our needs?

8. Tech Savvy: Ask agents there ability to utilize the internet? Over 75% of buyers use the internet when searching for a new home. How are documents prepared, etc?

9. Cost: What are the possible hidden costs that can occur throughout the process?

10. Offers: How can I tell a good offer from a bad one?

11. Timing: How can I be sure it is the right time to sell?

12. References: Can you provide references to review your service? Confirm they are Realtors®.

13. Goals: How will you help us find our new home and how does it benefit us to use you to sell and buy?

14. Communication: How will you report back to us activity on the home/process?

15. Unique ability: What makes you stand apart from 1000+ agents in the area?

Hope this helps!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:51 AM

One more thing. Who will I be working with, communicating with, etc. Sometimes, large teams have a person that comes in and does the initial presentation, and then you may never (or very little) see that person again. If that is ok with you, great. If it isn't, then you should know up front.

Shelly

Old 07-07-2007, 05:56 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,177 times
Oops! Everyone has assumed that the person is looking for a listing agent. They didn't define what type of real estate agent they are looking for- It could be a Buyer's Broker.

Here's a question to ask a potential listing agent. Clearly define, "marketing" and how does it differ from advertising, promotions and sales?"

Here's one to ask a potential buyer's broker: "What documentation do you gather on a property that I am really interested in and from where?"
It is "Mission Critical" for a Buyers Broker to have the following on hand during the buyer decision making process. A copy of the current and past deeds, restrictive covenants, survey/recorded plat/metes & Bounds description, and if you're along the coast like I am-You better have FEMA/ CAMA info and Environmental Health (Septic Systems) info too.
All of these things can and/or will affect the value of a property.
It goes way beyond comparing recent solds.
Bill

Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 AM

Bill, you are so right. When I read it, I automatically assumed listing, but it could be a buyers agent. Some of the things you have listed are specific to your area, and just so folks know, for instance in my area you cannot get POA docs until after an offer has been submitted. However, you do have 3 days to review them and can opt out at during that time period. but you wouldn't have them prior to putting your offer in.

Shelly

Old 07-07-2007, 02:57 PM

214 posts, read 1,980,986 times
I will actually be looking for a listing and buyer agent. Do I have to have the same agent for both? We are looking to move about 45 minutes away- 2 counties over. I want to be sure to have an agent who really knows the area we are looking to move to.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Make that one of your questions. Is that county in the same MLS? Are they familiar with both areas? I live in Virginia Beach, I feel comfortable va. beach, chesapeak, norfolk, and suffolk, all very large. But I don't feel comfortable across the river in newport news and hampton and williamsburg. I would go for a close friend that wanted me and knew, but not a client.

If they are not in the same MLS and you don't get a good read, ask your listing agent if she/he will refer you to an agent in the other area for buying. Yes, the listing agent will get a referral, but she/he can be your go to person and they should play nicely with other agent and help you with the interview process.

shelly

Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,063 times
a realtor wants to buy my house and has made an offer...my realtor says she will have to co-broke with him and split a comission...why does this feel so wrong...if my realtor sold the house without a co-broke she was going to do it for 4%....i feel like i'm paying him to buy my house....any thoughts greatly appreciated...

Old 04-20-2010, 06:04 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlanh View Post
a realtor wants to buy my house and has made an offer...my realtor says she will have to co-broke with him and split a comission...why does this feel so wrong...if my realtor sold the house without a co-broke she was going to do it for 4%....i feel like i'm paying him to buy my house....any thoughts greatly appreciated...
Don't get caught up in tangents. That is how emotions mess up transactions.
Keep your eye on the ball:
Selling your home.

Calculate your net proceeds, and make sure that is acceptable, regardless of who buys your home.
You net the same, wherever the commission goes.

The agent buying your home may well have to pay a split to his company, even though he is buying for himself. Or he may be planning to use his share of the cobroke to cover some of his closing costs.

Whatever. Sell your home for a price that provides a result you can live with.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-20-2010 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals