Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 PM

336 posts, read 927,623 times

Advertisements

What are you doing to help you listings sell in this market? I feel like many realtors are playing the game the same way as they did at the height of the market, basically, don't do much aside from list the house, have an open house or two, and the advice is always to "lower the price". Price is the big factor, I understand, but if no one is shopping for houses at all over a certain price point, what then? You could keep lowering until you give your house away. What kind of unique or new ideas have you come up with to help get some potential buyers in the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
if no one is shopping for houses at all over a certain price point
Not much an agent can do of there are no buyers at a price point.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
I agree, when it's a buyer's market, price is 90% of the market. Now, for that 10%, we are using several points including Craigs List, Trullia, Zillow, and several historically good tools. We are selling our listings.... Don't forget the value of the yard sign.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
When there is an oversupply of listings, nothing can be done but lower the price if the condition/terms/marketing are good. There are more houses fore sale than there are buyers right now.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:59 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I had a home for sale in a neighborhood that had others very similar, for sale. My listing was clean and newly painted and my sellers really had it staged well. I say "staged" but it wasn't really staged, as that was how they lived in it!

The home had no negatives...no street noise, no power lines, etc.

We looked at the comps, priced it about less than any of the comps...$5,000 less. We had our first offer in 3 days and our 2nd offer, the next day.

We sold it for over the listed price since we had 2 buyers.

Vicki

Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I had a home for sale in a neighborhood that had others very similar, for sale. My listing was clean and newly painted and my sellers really had it staged well. I say "staged" but it wasn't really staged, as that was how they lived in it!

The home had no negatives...no street noise, no power lines, etc.

We looked at the comps, priced it about less than any of the comps...$5,000 less. We had our first offer in 3 days and our 2nd offer, the next day.

We sold it for over the listed price since we had 2 buyers.

Vicki

This is pretty much it. You need to be the cheapest of the comps to get buyers in your house.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 AM

204 posts, read 845,820 times
Does offering a bonus to the selling agent really get them to show your listing? I've had a couple of agents tell me that because they have to disclose any SA bonuses to their buyers, they feel like they have to give part, if not all, of the bonus to the buyer, so the bonus to them is really worthless.

I've also had a couple of agents tell me that they always show listings of their own agency, and exhaust that list, before they will show houses listed by another agency. Doesn't seem fair, but apparently it happens. Will offering them a SA bonus get them to bring their clients to your listing? How much of a bonus will get their attention, if at all?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
I think it probably varies from market to market...even more than you might expect. I'd rely on your local agent's knowledge. We went through a period where it seemed like every listing had a bonus but now you rarely see them. I don't personally think they work because I (perhaps naively) believe that most agents really do try to service their buyers in the best way possible (i.e. show them every appropriate listing without regard to the compensation.) I'd advise to save the money and price the property right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals