Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times

Advertisements

Call your local national Real Estate Broker ( C-21, Remax etc.) and ask the receptionist who answers the phone, "who is your newest agent with the most drive and ambition?" Just because they are new, doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing. They are usually the ones I have found that work the hardest as they feel they have a lot to prove and want to do a good job.
Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 PM

107 posts, read 690,000 times
Not sure where you are in south florida but boy did we have trouble with our realtors but finnanly foudn one that we LOVED! hope you do too

Old 07-12-2007, 08:09 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Your situation is similar to many around here in mid Missouri. All of the companies here offer various services that may be a tad different from what others offer. But most will be the same. MLS, ads in local papers, flyers, open houses. We use Homes Magazines and rotate our lisitings depending on what properties the listing agents want to have appear in the magazine. We all pay part of that expense. We are an independent, nationally known franchise office so we do have our listings appear on more than one site, as other companies here do.
We have to put our listings in MLS within 24 hours or have a signed document from the sellers as to why the property will not be in the MLS until a certain date. There is NO fixed commission among any of the companies ( not allowed ). Signs go up immediately. More seller should approach this transaction with a similar mindset such as yours. It would cut down on the mis-communications that seem to go with this business. Good luck to you.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 PM

81 posts, read 350,438 times
Since you are having problems locating a satifactory agent, check out ActiveRain Real Estate Network search for agents in your area and read thir blogs...you may find one who you really can connect with. Best wishes!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:11 AM

200 posts, read 878,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle DeRepentigny View Post
Since you are having problems locating a satifactory agent, check out ActiveRain Real Estate Network search for agents in your area and read thir blogs...you may find one who you really can connect with. Best wishes!
Thank you. I will be cheking it out.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle DeRepentigny View Post
I'm not familiar with that particular website, but I do know there are a number of similar type realtor "network/referral" type websites. Basically they're almost all realtor written and paid ad copy. In other words, agents pay to be able to promote themselves on those websites, either through ad copy written by them or through their blogs. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because you'll probably be able to get a little insight into the agent's level of professionalism. My point is that it's just not an independent review of the agents.

Another suggestion might be to look for an agent with the GRI or CRS designation. This designation can indicate the agent's level of committment and dedication. These courses are more intensive and extensive than many, and they really do up the level of professionalism.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:25 AM

59 posts, read 272,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaNative View Post
We are selling our home FSBO but my husband said we could use a realtor if they agree to our terms:
#1 The real estate sign must be put up the day we sign. We have heard too often about it taking weeks or even moths to get the signs up.
#2 We will list with them for only 3 months. We have also heard about people being suckered into long term contracts thus the properties are not being aggressively marketed. We will sign an agreement that if the term expires but the buyer ends up being someone that the agent had shown our home to that we will pay he/she the original agreed upon commission.
#3 Commission will be 5%.
#4 The agent must have at least 1 open house. Either for prospective buyers or an agent only open house. Our neighbors that are using a local realtor have had no open houses at all. They signed over 7 months ago w/ these people!
My question is: Are these unrealistic expectations? Are these terms fair to an agent?

#1 - I have the sign in my vehicle with me when I go on a listing, so that way it's up before I leave.

#2 - Most contracts are of at least 6 months, but a realtor can certainly agree to a 3 month listing, however, there is a chance that you're hurting yourself there. Take printed advertisement for example. If I listed your home today, I wouldn't get your home in the Pocono Real Estate Guide until August. Now you've already lost a couple of weeks of advertisement, but if you miss the deadline, it could be over a month till it can get in there. I would ask the agent to do what I do. Offer a guarantee. Every listing I makes states that if you are not happy with me as your agent in general, you can just fire me and the contract will be null and void. However, don't just fire an agent because you found a buyer yourself. If they were the procurring cause of that sale, they can still collect their commission.

#3 - If 5% is the standard rate in your area then that's fine. I don't go below 6% for the specific reason that my firm spends a lot of time and money in marketing a home. We do everything under the sun in getting a home it's proper exposure, and the only way I would drop the commission is if you were willing to sacrifice that exposure.

#4 - You shouldn't even have to demand an open house, it should be a given.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaNative View Post
We are selling our home FSBO but my husband said we could use a realtor if they agree to our terms:
#1 The real estate sign must be put up the day we sign. We have heard too often about it taking weeks or even moths to get the signs up.
#2 We will list with them for only 3 months. We have also heard about people being suckered into long term contracts thus the properties are not being aggressively marketed. We will sign an agreement that if the term expires but the buyer ends up being someone that the agent had shown our home to that we will pay he/she the original agreed upon commission.
#3 Commission will be 5%.
#4 The agent must have at least 1 open house. Either for prospective buyers or an agent only open house. Our neighbors that are using a local realtor have had no open houses at all. They signed over 7 months ago w/ these people!
My question is: Are these unrealistic expectations? Are these terms fair to an agent?
I don't think your expectations are unrealistic, just make sure when you hire an agent all of your requests are included in your listing agreement. Are you planning to buy another home? Or do you know one or two people who need to buy or sell a home? Why not offer the agent 5% plus a referral or two? Or 5% and allow the agent to represent you in your home purchase also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals