Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times

Advertisements

Since you have such an expensive split, you will have to go the way of the fining system. I wouldn't expect to have to pay for my signs and locks if I am giving the company that much.

Again, what are info sheets?

I really would work on the slow response time, poor quality pictures, signs left on property, etc. The company is not compiling a professional image.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 12-09-2010 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:11 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
We have a elected a "Committee" of about 3-4 experienced agents who years ago came up with rules & expectations on phone time. You follow the rules or you get bumped from next months schedule. Every agent gets the rules and every 6 months or so we have to discuss in our office meeting as reminders.

Let the leader agents put together the expectations and guidelines. You may need to help enforce. There are always agents who abuse, they should pay a price.

I agree with Mike, part time agents create more problems then they are worth. (There are exceptions)

Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
The typical RE/MAX model does not use floor time, as one of the premises of RE/MAX is that agents get their sign calls.

One writer said that city offices get all the agents we want, not true. There is a huge competition for agents and there is always some broker willing to give away the farm to hire my best agent. Recruiting and retention is a full time job.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
The typical RE/MAX model does not use floor time, as one of the premises of RE/MAX is that agents get their sign calls.

One writer said that city offices get all the agents we want, not true. There is a huge competition for agents and there is always some broker willing to give away the farm to hire my best agent. Recruiting and retention is a full time job.
Not to hijack the thread. But Tom, how to you handle walk-ins? I have gotten buyers and sellers as walk-ins during phone duty this year.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,466 times
Umm, isn't there something that says you've got to have your sign out of a yard within a certain number of days of a listing expiring?

I'd hate for you to have to cruise by properties upon expirations!

We don't have floor time, so I can't help you there - and our signs are provided by our broker - and can't say that our agents 'abandon' our signs - at least I don't! I've got to pay for my own riders.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Not to hijack the thread. But Tom, how to you handle walk-ins? I have gotten buyers and sellers as walk-ins during phone duty this year.
It's complicatedly simple. If I am in the building, I interview the "walkin." I listen to their plans, their dreams, and ask a lot of questions. I try to match them up with a compatible agent of our office. 99% of the time, it works perfectly.

Using extremes in this conversation, I consider age, style, type of property, whether they are buyers, sellers, both, or just tire kickers. There is an old standard that I learned as a young man in the insurance industry, it still works with amazing consistency that clients and agents are most comfortable if they are within a five year age difference. I mean I seldom discover that a 20 something will enjoy working with a 50 something no matter which is the agent and which is the client.

If I am not in the office, our office manager will introduce the walkin to (1) whomever she meets my above criteria best. As a former mortgage branch manager, she's actually better than I am in match-making. (2) any agent whom happens to be in the office, (3) worst of all, to a round-robin list.

Point is, we genuinely try to understand needs and wants of our clients. It has never caused a problem with our team as they all know we are working hard to see that "Everybody Wins."

Old 12-10-2010, 02:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Recruiting and retention is a full time job.
Thanks for replying Tom, I think you phrased it better, but hit the nail on the head of what I was trying to convey.

Here, recruiting and retention is something that we think about on a bi-annual basis.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:11 PM

145 posts, read 499,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you are going to run the place, you need to both take the high road and claim the high ground. It would not be appropriate to have such a plaque.
That was a joke by the way Mike, I'd rather not leave the office to find roofing nails in my tires ;-) You are indeed correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We have a elected a "Committee" of about 3-4 experienced agents who years ago came up with rules & expectations on phone time. You follow the rules or you get bumped from next months schedule. Every agent gets the rules and every 6 months or so we have to discuss in our office meeting as reminders.
That is an interesting idea. I am also considering hiring an admin so we don't have to worry about who is on the floor. Maybe offering higher splits and having agents pay some of their own expenses is the way to go, they are very careless with office equipment and supplies.

Quote:
That is an interesting idea. My concern would be how would we know if the agents were actually returning calls when Buyers call them directly. Remax agents are "business owners" so I'm sure you don't have these problems right? How does Remax handle print advertising? Do agents pay for absolutely everything? I shadowed a Remax broker for a few days, it's an interesting concept but I don't think most of our agents could keep their heads above water with that model.

Last edited by hmtklein; 12-10-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 PM

145 posts, read 499,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Again, what are info sheets?.
Like MLS sheets but with bigger font - not every company up here is on the MLS so we all use info sheets. I wanted to switch exclusively to MLS sheets and they other agents in town begged me not to because of the horrible font size.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmtklein View Post

That is an interesting idea. My concern would be how would we know if the agents were actually returning calls when Buyers call them directly. Remax agents are "business owners" so I'm sure you don't have these problems right? How does Remax handle print advertising? Do agents pay for absolutely everything? I shadowed a Remax broker for a few days, it's an interesting concept but I don't think most of our agents could keep their heads above water with that model.
You hit the nail directly on the head "..but I don't think most of our agents...

RE/MAX in its infancy recruited only those people who could swim with a 50lb pack on their back. We lost some of that exclusivity with the early 2000's rush. But that being said, if I were to retire, or otherwise leave the brokerage business, I would either quit or be a RE/MAX associate. It's that much better.

Most RE/MAX associates have "coverage partners" which cover listings and details if they need a day off, etc. Agents don't pay for absolutely everything. Now remember, in the original theory and practice, RE/MAX was the original 100% office. Just like a merchant leasing space, the RE/MAX concept was and still is based on rents rather than splits. Some merchantile landlords provide water, electricity, and/or fuel for heat, others are triple-net with the tenent even paying their direct share of the building insurance. Same with real estate, some brokers provide more than others. It's the model and value proposition, doesn't mean what is right for one agent is right for another agent.

Back under the old 50/50 concept a broker provided nearly everything expecting only the agent's "labor". Under the RE/MAX concept, the agent truly is an independent contractor.

Just how well does it work? Well, in the year ending June 30, 2010. In the Louisville KY market there are 9 RE/MAX offices, each independently owned and operated. Those 9 offices when grouped into a statistical sample of 25 offices and/or firms were the top 9 offices in average production per agent. We simply don't have loafers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals