Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,574,867 times

Advertisements

Homes in our neighborhood keep selling, for more than ours and at a fairly quick pace. We have been through 2 agents now (our contract expires next month). Another house went under contract after being listed for like 3 weeks. We have been trying to sell for 8 months. We have lowered the price. Lower it much more and we will be lucky to break even.
Here are some questions I am hoping you can help with:

Should we pull the house off the market before the current listing expires, wait a while to catch our breaths, and make another go at it? Possibly with another agent? We have had one showing in the past 4 weeks, while 4 homes (and another went under contract today) have sold in the past 3 months.

If comps in our neighborhood are selling at 20-45k more than ours, I have to ask myself, are we priced right? Do you think being at our price makes people wonder if something is wrong with the house?(It's not) Some of the comps have some better upgrades, maybe one or two had granite countertops or tile in bathrooms. Does those factors add that much to the value?
My husband and I are so stressed and discouraged by the whole process, our judgement is becoming clouded and we need clarity to get our house sold, however, we don't want to just give the house away.

Here is a link to our listing, please, give us feedback,
Tear out wallpaper, repaint, price, whatever you feel may be holding us back.

Please if you have time look at the comps in our neighborhood so you can see what we're up against.

Thanks!

Last edited by jimj; 08-11-2007 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 09:14 PM

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? LOL

Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 PM

3,243 posts, read 9,137,626 times
Not an agent but.....

Other than the fact that you have to register to see anything beyond the first picture which I will not do...

Can't help you because of that. Liz

Last edited by southernlady5464; 07-16-2007 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,887,539 times
Is there another virtual tour anywhere that you don't have to register to see the photos? This kind of relates to another thread on here about annoying Realtor websites. Is it on Realtor.com with a link to a virtual tour? If not, it should be because most buyers won't want to register to see more photos.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 PM

92 posts, read 391,995 times
I am not an agent, however I am a second time seller. I think your house looks very nice. I didn't get a chance to look at comparables yet, but I do have a few thoughts on some improvements. I would suggest you remove the wallpaper in the kitchen. Wallpaper is a very personal thing and it is rare that someone will have the same taste in wallpaper that you do. The green that is on the bottom of the chair rail is very nice, I would probably do a light beige on the top...or something very neutral that will compliment the green. I would also add some candles and nice towels to your master bath...think spa. I would add a few things like that to the tub area. If you were to upgrade one thing in the master bath, I would suggest replacing the faucets with something a little nicer. I was able to find something that looks pretty upscale on Overstock.com: Online Shopping Bedding, Furniture, Electronics, Jewelry, Clothing & more for somewhere between $40-$60. My suggestion would be brushed nickel or something along those lines. I would add a nice table and chairs to your deck area so that people can see themselves utilizing the area. My last change...if you have it in you would be the other bathroom you show...(the one with the striped wallpaper) I would remove the wallpaper and paint it something fairly neutral. I understand this is a lot of work...we have done it ourselves in our own house, and I would never do it again. Lesson learned, never buy a house that is that much work. Some people will just bypass your house because of wallpaper, it is sad but true. I hope this helps and I wish you much luck in selling your house.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 PM

982 posts, read 3,471,337 times
I'm an agent in VA...and some questions that come to mind...how are you finding your agents? are you doing any research, or are you just going with the first person to show up and tells you what you want to hear? What type of advertising is your agent doing? Hopefully this website isn't all she's got out there for you. The quickest way to chase users away from your site is to require registration. People aren't stupid and know that the only reason this is done is so that the agent can make contact. Go to REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and check out the seller link. Some of the things you should be looking for in an agent:

1. Are you a full-time professional REALTORĀ®? How long have you worked full-time in real estate? What geographic areas do you specialize in?

2. Do you have a Website? What information can I find there?

3. How will you keep me informed during my home search and throughout the transaction?

4. Do you have a staff or a team? If so, what roles will they play in my transaction?

5. Will you show me properties from other companies’ listings? (Some real estate companies do offer their buyers’ agents a higher commission if they are able to sell “in-house” listings. In those instances, there can be added incentive to limit the range of homes you are shown. This may affect your home search and how much you your agent’s fee will be.)

6. Will you represent me exclusively, or will you also represent the seller? May I have that in writing?

7. How will you get paid? How are your fees structured? May I have that in writing?

8. What distinguishes you from other real estate agents? What is your negotiating style?

9. May I contact some of your recent clients as references?

10. Do you have a performance guarantee? If I am not satisfied with your performance, can I terminate our buyer agency agreement?

Hope this helps!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,504,350 times
I agree w/WendyK. I do not like registering to look at additional photos. What a pain. However, the picture of the front of your home shows a beautiful home. Actually it is my personal favorite exterior. My son and his wife had a similar home in Bryant AL a few years ago. If you do have wallpaper in some rooms, yes, please remove and paint with a neutral colour. I am having to do this now in three rooms. As another posting suggested, warm water will do it, remove the wallpaper, that is. If any clutter, get rid of it. How is the neighborhood? Barking dogs, anything such as that? Or any pets in your home? You might want to watch HDTV once in awhile. Seems to be a few good pointers on some programs.

As a Realtor I have picked up a few tips from some of the shows myself to suggest to others.

1. No clutter 2. Neutral paint 3. No wallpaper 4. Kitchens and Baths are the most important rooms for buyers. 5. No strange odors
6. Neat lawns and garden areas 7. Furniture placement is important
8. No unfinished projects 9. Bright lighting 10. Live green plants help

Understand this is just a few items that I have noticed over the years that appear to have had some influence on how a home 'shows'. Good luck

Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Thanks for all the comments.

I totally forgot that you had to register on the site, please try this link instead that goes directly to broker's site:

Quote:
I'm an agent in VA...and some questions that come to mind...how are you finding your agents? are you doing any research, or are you just going with the first person to show up and tells you what you want to hear? What type of advertising is your agent doing?
I thought we had done lots of research, interviewed, and hired the current agent mostly on her reputation. She is easily reachable and has a team of 4 showing agents, equipped with buyer's hotline so she or someone on her team is easily reachable. The only thing that concerns me is she is in the next town over, however she sells real estate in our town and has several listings here. One thing I find strange that in the 2 months we have been listed, no other agents from any other brokerages have showed the house. Only has been shown by my agent and her team. Is this unusual or is there perhaps another reason why other agents aren't coming around?

Quote:
You might want to watch HDTV once in awhile. Seems to be a few good pointers on some programs
LOL, funny you say this we watch it ALL the time! We thought we had done everything right, well, except for the wallpaper. I guess I will have to accept the fact that some people can't see beyond it or want something completely move in ready. But ya know, it HAS GOT to be something more than just wallpaper.
Every showing the agent says "as usual the house showed great" "no criticisms", blah, blah, blah.....so I just don't get it. If it's not condition, it's got to be price, but then we're priced considerably less than those others in the neighborhood with the nicer upgrades (and our house is larger) but I cannot seem to look at my home objectively apparently or from a buyer's perspective, so that's why I need all ya'll's suggestions....

Thanks again!

Last edited by jimj; 08-11-2007 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 07-17-2007, 08:39 AM

3,243 posts, read 9,137,626 times
Okay, I checked that link and looked at the photos. While I really don't care for the wallpaper, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Question? Have you gone to the local MLS listing to see if you can find your house on it? Have you checked to see what the listing says?

It may be the way your listing was written up? Check that out. Liz

Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,344,916 times
Your house looks nice. I don't mind the wallpaper in the kitchen. Maybe it's location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals