Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 PM

470 posts, read 1,501,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Or making intrusive calls and sweating the fines??
I decided to play nice and leave that one off! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:22 PM

624 posts, read 1,071,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
I decided to play nice and leave that one off! LOL
Is it okay to call your sphere of influence? Even if they are on a DNC list?

Or is it best not to cold call at all? Any cold callers here?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Something is wrong when politicians have a different set of rules vs. the buiseness.
In my area, only about 10% of all numbers are non DNC.

Have to think of a survey or a politican I want to support I guess.
Most politicians are self-serving trash, pointing off in the distance with one hand, while rifling your purse with the other, and simultaneously peeing on your leg and whispering in your ear that the drought is over.

OTOH, I am an honest and ethical real estate agent, and see no need to disturb people who are not gleefully anticipating my call.

Pick your business model.....

Old 02-18-2011, 06:35 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,943 times
If you were just starting out, how would you get clients?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Is it okay to call your sphere of influence? Even if they are on a DNC list?

Or is it best not to cold call at all? Any cold callers here?

I don't think it is okay to call your SOI with the intention to solicit business if they have never been a client and they are on the DNC. I think that is dubious, personally. Why don't you do handwritten notes or something to let them know you are an agent now and give them a few business cards? I assume these are people you talk to on a regular basis, right?

I don't cold call and never have.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
You are in the people business.
Meet people.
Networking events.
Chamber of commerce events.
Home and garden shows.
Take a booth at the flea market.
Buy Cub Scout popcorn and Girl Scout cookies from kids with their moms with them.
Go to church.
Never take an unsolicited sales pitch without returning one to the salesperson. They need homes too.
Adopt a Highway and pick up litter.
Sell pizza with the boosters at the football games.
Help the band organize their car wash.
Organize a neighborhood garage sale. Done nicely, you can make a splash fast and cheap.
Give of your knowledge without trying to close, and get response for not being a jerk.
A bazillion etceteras......

But, please, let folks know what you do without being the stereotypical ego-centric real estate boor who reflects poorly on normal people in the business.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:26 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Open Houses. Hook up with an agent who prospers in open house situations, watch them once or twice, and then hook up with an agent that's too busy to do their own Open Houses. Buy him lunch and get an in with him - tell him what you're looking to do. If you don't have the push to get that simple request into the movers and the shakers in your office, you probably won't be successful at getting appointments from open houses, so just do it!

Open Houses are the key to working with buyers.

I tend not to do calling because it's intrusive, often not welcomed, and just think about how many agents must be calling expired listings and FSBOs - you've got to set yourself apart somehow.

Just my $0.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Go to church.
This is a good one. I wish I wasn't an atheist, lol, because I find that churches tend to probably not have a real estate agent in the congregation, and usually they're very tight-knit and supportive. Bah!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Meet more people and let the ones I already know that I'm real estate and would happy to assist them or their friends family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals