Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:41 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobble View Post
I don't really think having so many third party websites is good for the consumer. The information is being pulled from so many sites it's nearly impossible to track it back to an agent that even knows the property. We can't help a consumers make sense of the data when it is pulled in a hundred different directions. .... Realtor.com needs to fire their designer, what a mess.
The real question to consumers is whether realtor.com has made it easier or harder to sell your home. The opinion that it has made it harder to sell your home is at best hard to justify and at worst silly and transparently self serving. A seller listed on "realtyoffice.com(or whatever it will be called)" has a better chance of selling his house than if he was listed on realtor.com? Where there is a good chance that about half of home buyers have never heard of and will never visit "realtyoffice.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 AM

158 posts, read 523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The real question to consumers is whether realtor.com has made it easier or harder to sell your home. The opinion that it has made it harder to sell your home is at best hard to justify and at worst silly and transparently self serving. A seller listed on "realtyoffice.com(or whatever it will be called)" has a better chance of selling his house than if he was listed on realtor.com? Where there is a good chance that about half of home buyers have never heard of and will never visit "realtyoffice.com.
I never said that, I said realtor.com's site a mess. I started this thread, I'm all for sharing information. I just passionately hate Zestimates, they are misleading crap. Those site aren't all sunshine and daffodils, they take realtor data for free and try to sell consumer data back to us. frustrating no? Realtor.com is a good concept it just needs a huge overhaul.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Realtor.com is a good concept it just needs a huge overhaul.
Except ever since they sold out they are the same as all the other 3rd party sites, just costs me more with less return.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Except ever since they sold out they are the same as all the other 3rd party sites, just costs me more with less return.
True, true... I see a return on investment being on the mls but getting to use the word "Realtor".... not so sure.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 968 times
Default This is a Market Guys

Quote:
This IS exactly why Zillow must die. Nothing makes me want to scream more than when I am saying how well priced a property is (using my legitimate market knowledge) and a Buyer busts out with a Zestimate.
I'm surprised to hear that mls's are actually feeding data to these shlubs. My websites have syndication features... I think it's time to pull Zillow's plug.
I didn't have time this morning to read all 9 pages of this forum

HOWEVER, I did read enough to see that there are a lot of people talking about the "market" from a limited position. A few notes:

The Real Estate Market and Zillow (et. al) are absolutely closely related. Zillow, Trulia, and others are simply taking advantage of market weaknesses. If the Real Estate market does not exist for both buyers and sellers, then it has no purpose, and neither do real estate agents.

So, here's the deal. If people want Zillow, Trulia, and others to dissapear it is rather simple (though not immediate). It isn't done through a governing body or rules, it is done by real estate companies working harder to keep up with technology.

I can't tell you how many offices/agents I have worked with (and I work with thousands of agents) who have no clue how to use technology to benefit a client. They are stuck thinking that just because they happened to run into the person and they work hard, the person ought to pay them a commission...

Bottom line, if I am a potential client (buyer or seller) I will, of course be looking online. If Zillow, Trulia or someone else ends up "owning" the online real estate, and an agent/office/brokerage/company can't figure out how to compete online, it is the tough situation of survival of the fittest - even though they scrape the home data. Most agent's website providers that provide IDX services don't work that much harder than that to connect to the actual MLS, and most of them under-serve their agent clients by providing terrible tools as well - until someone with better technology moves in.

ahem... (jumping off soap box)

Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskov View Post
So, here's the deal. If people want Zillow, Trulia, and others to dissapear it is rather simple...... it is done by real estate companies working harder to keep up with technology.
Amen.

Quote:
ahem... (jumping off soap box)
Since you quoted me I feel compelled to reply but I don't exactly understand how what you said applies to what I said that you quoted? Does your soap box exist in the corporate office of Zillow?

Quote:
I didn't have time this morning to read all 9 pages of this forum
I wish you would, I'm sure you have interesting perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals