Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Maybe in your state but not here. The only people that get to see the buyer's inspection report are the buyer, seller, and their agents (per our purchase contract). The lender and appraiser is not included.
Not in TN - the only one who gets a copy of the report I pay for is me. I have the right to control who gets a copy of it. I pay for it, it is MY property.

The mortgagor never asked us for a copy, never asked if we even had one done. My Buyers' Agent didn't get a copy, and didn't ask for it; the seller didn't pay so they didn't get a copy.

I pay for something, it's MINE! If you want a copy of MY property, contribute to its cost - if I choose to allow that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I second Rakin's post and I'll add that I've never shared nor had an appraiser even ask or receive a copy of the inspection. Loan type is irrelevant so it doesn't matter if it's FHA, conventional, USDA, etc.

I'll third the post, and have also never been asked for a copy by an appraiser.
In our area, the buyer (who is paying) gets the report and determines who else gets a copy or a link to the report.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,210 times
Hello all,
I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but it is a very good topic so I wanted to respond. I do home inspections around Peoria, IL and you can check out more about me through my website posted here or Google "Home Inspection Peoria IL" and you will find me. I looked over the report pages which you posted and it appears that you have a very average list of concerns. Certainly none of them area very costly to fix, but several of them have the potential to cause greater problems if they are ignored. Generally speaking, if it is open or cracked and it is not suppose to be, seal it or close it.

Electrical - Someone made a comment about AL wires not being used anymore - that is false. While they are not used in branch circuits (to outlets and lights) they are used all the time as main conductors(from the meter) such as what you have. GFCI's around water sources is a very good upgrade - do it. Always fix electrical issues which come up on a home inspection report. It's easy, usually not too expensive and it is the safest choice.
Water Heater Vent - Another potential safety hazard, but not unless several other things go wrong with the burners, valve, etc. Again it's cheap and simple to fix, do it soon.
Slab Cracks - Not entirely sure about the layout of the house, but this may be a few hundred for a general contractor or handyman to fix. It doesn't sound too expensive, but then I'm not sure if it would involve a lot of deconstruction. I'm not entirely sure I agree with the inference that fixing the cracks will prevent termites from entering, but again, I am not there. If termites are a concern in your area, a $150.00 yearly service contract with a pest company is a very good investment.
TPR Valves – Yes, this is important but what is more important is whether they still drip after being replaced. That may indicate a larger problem, but I won't go into it here.
A/C Drain Pan in attic – Check this every couple days when you first run the unit. If there is water in the pan, you have an issue. Otherwise, the stains could be from ten days ago or ten years ago. No water, no worry.
Tub Nozzle – Not important. Get to it if it bugs you.
HVAC Filter – Keep it checked monthly and changed as much if needed (assuming it's a 1” thick type)
Refrigerant Line Insulation – Not major, but cheap and easy to fix. Do it before you run the unit as this affects the efficiency of the unit as well. Why waste money by not fixing it?

I hope that helps clarify some of your report. Your inspector seemed to focus on the details which is a good trait in a home inspector.

Cameron Anderson

P.S. Keep appraisers and banks out of the home inspection and the report and you will have less headaches during your home purchase. If the banks know about an issue, they may hold up the sale and demand it get fixed regardless of how small or insignificant it may be. My reports are the dual property of myself and my clients. Only the clients and their "Duly Authorized Representative"(which is neither the bank or the appraiser) receive a copy. I encourage clients to have the bank or the appraiser call me if they need information off the report. I am well versed at giving few details as possible to people who don't need to know.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saks View Post
Hello ,

We are first time home buyers and we decided to put an offer on one of the house we really liked. House is build in 2005 well priced and a cul-de sac lot.
We liked the house but in home inspection we found some issues.Since we are first time home buyers need some expert advice if these issue are minor and can be fixed or they are major and we should reconsider buying the house.
I have attached the inspection details. Since house is 2005 build we were not expecting any major issues but home inspection report seems very detailed and we want to know if the issues are really a deal breaker .
Can some one please give us an idea which issues are okay to live with and can be ignored and which are major and approximate estimate on how much will it cost to fix them.
IMO I'd ask about the aluminum wire paste at the main (NOT DIY friendly if you're the average homeowner).

The rest of it is really something that I think your average person could do with a bit of help or research.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times
I second Rakin, this is a typical home inspection......I would think the entire laundry list could be fixed for under $1000. OP, you have to remember, you are buying a used home, everything won't be perfect. As far as home inspections go, that was a pretty clean one. Ones I get concerned about mention pooling of water, anything rotting (like trim or siding), mildew, well, you get the idea.

Never, ever, depend upon the appraisal to call for the repairs in your home inspection - request desired repairs in your home inspection addendum. Like the others, I have yet to see a home inspection report fall into the appraisers hands. In 2005, there was a Mortgagee Letter issued to mortgage lenders that basically said the HUD appraisers were done with picking the properties apart. And then the "Importance of a Home Inspection" was born. Now all Realtos and lenders make sure you have this in hand........and not necessarily for only an FHA Mortgage.

These days, if an appraiser sees broken glass on the floor and a broken window pane, it's favorable a requirement to sweep up the glass and replace pane may result in the appraisal report. If there is water pooling in the basement - an inspection w/ corrective action by a certified basement waterproofing company, and so on. There are some basic functions the appraiser will check (water, a/c, heat, toilets flush), but he/she isn't looking for trouble. They aren't going to move furniture to make sure there aren't any gaping holes behind a dresser.......or if the cracked window pane is behind a door and not seen, not a problem. The only items of concern are safety and code violations.

A little background......in 2004 and 2005, everyone stopped doing FHA mortgages, because the appraisals did get to be ridiculous. Why go FHA when there were so many conventional programs, with low or no MI, low or no down payment, and easy appraisals? Well, FHA got it's nose bent out of shape and was looking for a way to keep up w/ Fannie and Freddie. Doing away with the property restrictions was the first to go. I've attached the FHA Memo that addresses property condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Inspection expert advice needed-2005-hud-property-memo_page_1.jpg   Home Inspection expert advice needed-2005-hud-property-memo_page_2.jpg   Home Inspection expert advice needed-2005-hud-property-memo_page_3.jpg   Home Inspection expert advice needed-2005-hud-property-memo_page_4.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals