Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,412 times

Advertisements

I found a house online and made an offer through the seller's agent, the seller never responded and the offer expired. Within days the seller's contract with the selling agent expired and the house went off of the market. The seller's agent could not give me any information on why the seller did not respond to the offer and took the house off of the market, so I contacted the seller myself. She explained that she was very unhappy with the agent and was going to find a new agent. After talking to her she agreed to sell without an agent but thinks that her contract with the previous agent prevents her from selling to me within 120 days. Is this a common stipulation in a selling agent's contract? Is there any reason I can't rent from her and then purchase the house at the end of the 120 days? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:19 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
It is called a Protection Clause. Safety Clause - Protection Clause - What is a Safety Clause

Basically it prevents the Seller from selling the house after "x" number of days specified in the Listing Agreement to someone that was shown the house during the listing period without the Seller owing a selling commission.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:52 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,993,881 times
She can sell it to you, but she'll have to pay commission to the prior agent.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 AM

82 posts, read 286,690 times
Or you can wait the 120 days. Make sure you read and understand the entire clause.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Talking about shooting yourself in the foot...she chose not to respond to an offer because she didn't like her agent.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
If the seller is saying let's wait 4 months to defraud a real estate agent - what are they willing to do to the buyer?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
If the seller is saying let's wait 4 months to defraud a real estate agent - what are they willing to do to the buyer?
EXACTLY!

The Agent's job is to sell the home by bringing a buyer. Sounds like she accomplished her job. Why shouldn't she be paid?

Vicki

Old 07-27-2011, 06:28 AM

574 posts, read 1,639,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX buyer View Post
I found a house online and made an offer through the seller's agent, the seller never responded and the offer expired. Within days the seller's contract with the selling agent expired and the house went off of the market. The seller's agent could not give me any information on why the seller did not respond to the offer and took the house off of the market, so I contacted the seller myself. She explained that she was very unhappy with the agent and was going to find a new agent. After talking to her she agreed to sell without an agent but thinks that her contract with the previous agent prevents her from selling to me within 120 days. Is this a common stipulation in a selling agent's contract? Is there any reason I can't rent from her and then purchase the house at the end of the 120 days? Thanks!
The 120 day stipulation is called "The Gotcha Clause". Translated it means I gotcha seller and I'm going to get money one way or the other from you. It is unfortunate that it is allowed to be legal but most things are not illegal if two parties agree to it.

From your standpoint it is a simple solution. If you really want the house then speak with a lawyer who specializes in real estate. Make sure your state laws do not allow the used home salesperson to come back on you if the home closes and you take possession. Then use the same lawyer to draft your purchase contract and make sure it has specific performance clauses where you can recoup from the seller any money you spend to buy the house in the event the owner backs out at any time for any reason. Then make an offer and let the owner worry about dealing with the used home salesperson and "The Gotcha Claus".

If the used home salesperson wants any money they can make a claim at closing and the owner can pay them then. If they don't do it then, and the state laws don't allow them to touch you, then let the used home salesperson chase after the seller.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
The 120 day stipulation is called "The Gotcha Clause". Translated it means I gotcha seller and I'm going to get money one way or the other from you. It is unfortunate that it is allowed to be legal but most things are not illegal if two parties agree to it.

From your standpoint it is a simple solution. If you really want the house then speak with a lawyer who specializes in real estate. Make sure your state laws do not allow the used home salesperson to come back on you if the home closes and you take possession. Then use the same lawyer to draft your purchase contract and make sure it has specific performance clauses where you can recoup from the seller any money you spend to buy the house in the event the owner backs out at any time for any reason. Then make an offer and let the owner worry about dealing with the used home salesperson and "The Gotcha Claus".

If the used home salesperson wants any money they can make a claim at closing and the owner can pay them then. If they don't do it then, and the state laws don't allow them to touch you, then let the used home salesperson chase after the seller.
Seems a bit unfair to the seller to call his home a "used home". I prefer the term "resale" or "existing home"!!!

Vicki

Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Or JBiggs, it protects agents from unethical buyers/sellers who agree to a deal on the side to try to cut the agent out. Where do you come up with this junk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals