Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 AM

49,972 posts, read 63,287,500 times

Advertisements

We have a somewhat unique property in a rural area. We chose our realtor from an adjacent urban area thinking she would reach a wider audience. If after our 6 mo. listing is up we still haven't sold, does it make more sense to continue with the same realtor or to switch to someone who advertises in a different urban area? To clarify..realtors who advertise in the Cleveland papers do not advertise in the Akron papers, and neither really covers the rural area I live in very well, although I am the same distance from both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 11:28 AM

631 posts, read 2,436,803 times
Can you not list with more than one agent with an open listing or ask them to co-op the listing? My office co-ops with brokerages that take listings out of their area and they know they don't want to travel to show them. So they call us to co broke the listing and the listing gets double Natl. advertising to boot.

I would say if you have a brokerage more local try that one. Which one would most likely have walk in customers looking in your neck of the woods?

I have property for sale in 4 counties. I find the ones that sell the most are closer to my office. Probably for the walk in's, or people looking for property in an area where my brokerage happens to be, then they call to see what I have there. My other properties are at a disadvantage in that respect, but I only take the far away listings because they can't find anyone else that wants to take them and they know I know their property.
Sometimes when people call, they ask where my office is and that's where they want to look at property regardless when I tell them I also have properties 2-4 hours away and could meet them there. It shouldn't matter to them as they are coming in from out of state, but somehow it does. They usually want to meet at the office then go look at what is near there.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:39 AM

26 posts, read 134,079 times
Just a FYI print advertising is the least likely to drive a buyer to your house. MLS and Internet are where 90% of home buyers are getting their info from now. Make sure the agent you are using has it listed on numerous search engines, as well as Realtor.com. Also, ask to see the MLS entry page to make sure it is correct. I have seen agents type in the wrong zipcode and when we search for homes it would never come up. Also, make sure the pictures are of high quality, this is the first Impression, Highlight the best points and playdown the negatives of your property. Finally, make sure your agent is getting feedback from agents that show the house ie Price, condition, improvements.

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2007, 11:51 AM

631 posts, read 2,436,803 times
I agree with Mez. Print advertising does very little. Over 90% of my buyers come from my website, the rest from walk ins, referrals, flyers, property signs, and direct mail.
Once in a great while do I find a buyer from print on a specific property.
When I do print advertising I make sure my website address is in there. I do not place display print ads as those usually don't show up in the newspaper's online ads. I run classified line ads as folks will find my ad more often from those from the net then go to my web.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Thanks to all. The deal is, we have a $100,000.00 barn/workshop we don't want to throw in for free. Plus a beautiful house, 14 acres, and parklike setting in great school system.
I have heard that print is not that important, but I'm just wondering what the smartest thing to do is. We need to find a certain specific type of buyer (a small contractor who wants to work out of the house with a bunch of kids to enjoy the acreage, pond, etc.). I can go into the Central Showing service and see all feedback after a showing. All have been glowing, but there have been only 4 showings in 4 months. I'm just wondering how to reach the one guy who is looking for what we're selling. Our agent has sent out 200 postcards to the target market.
Wouldn't any agent in my immediate area show our house/barn/workshop to anyone who might be interested anyway? I should say we're willing to pay max commission to anyone who gets the job done.
Our agent is Keller-Williams, so I think there could be cooperation on advertising?
I should also mention, in NE Ohio, sales are SLOW even when you have a mainstream property, and not one in a higher price-range.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:13 PM

26 posts, read 134,079 times
$100K for the barn. Was this the cost to build it? If so it may not add $100K to the value of your house. How many of the other homes have the same amenities as yours? For instance it may cost $15K or more for in inground pool, it would actually be a negative when you go to sell in Ohio, since it is seen as a liabilty. How many homes in the area have the acreage you have? Can a buyer split off to create additional building lots if they wanted to? Your property seems like it may accomadate horses...if so try equine clinics to mail to.

All in all you seem to know that it is going to take a "Very Specific" buyer. You have a limited pool of potential buyers and that will increase your time on market. Sit down and brainstorm a list of potential buyers your property may suit. Then see which ones can be targeted with marketing, with mailings, or websites.

Where in NE Ohio are you? I moved from Lake County a few years ago.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:06 PM

I'm in Medina Co. Seven of our 14 acres is a separate lot with frontage. My point about the barn is that our house and acreage is not worth the price we are asking, but with the outbuilding it most certainly is, since it is set up with all the amenities for a business. If someone wants to just have a place to store their toys or a horse or two, our building would be overkill.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,871,062 times
Do the contractors in your area need to be licensed? Are you or your realtor able to get a list of them? If so, do a mailing directly to them. Do you have a paper (pennysaver, whatever) that the contractors advertise in themselves? If so, put the ad for the property in there. In my area advertising in print, in the right publication, for certain properties does very well. It shouldn't be discounted...especially because the audience you are looking for is going to be local.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:21 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,000,952 times
Is it possible to advertise in a property specific newspaper/magazine or website. If your property is farm land think about adveritsing (print and online) in a farmers magazine/newspaper. What about advertising on your chamber's website or posting something at the local office? Don't know if you can do this but heck it's another suggestion.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:37 PM

23,789 posts, read 33,234,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez View Post
Just a FYI print advertising is the least likely to drive a buyer to your house. MLS and Internet are where 90% of home buyers are getting their info from now. Make sure the agent you are using has it listed on numerous search engines, as well as Realtor.com. Also, ask to see the MLS entry page to make sure it is correct. I have seen agents type in the wrong zipcode and when we search for homes it would never come up. Also, make sure the pictures are of high quality, this is the first Impression, Highlight the best points and playdown the negatives of your property. Finally, make sure your agent is getting feedback from agents that show the house ie Price, condition, improvements.

Good luck!

Disagree. I realize that the internet is the way to really sell a house but for older people like my neighbor & his lady friend, I think the newspaper is still an important tool since they do not have computers.

What I want as a seller is to meet in the middle - 1st listed - ad in the Sunday paper - possibly 2 or 3 of the bigger papers - for us it would be Burlington County Times - since I want to target people in North Jersey (I'm in South) an ad in the Star Ledger - North Jersey's most popular paper would be a must.

Price reductions - at least in the Sunday paper
Open houses - Friday to Sunday

The real estate books: I know the info is usually old or inaccurate but to have an agent that subscribes online to them and posts them online would make me happy - I'd consider that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals