Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 09:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

How are contingencies handled in TN? Does it put the buyer in less of a bargaining postition there?
The reason I ask is here most agents here are hesitant/unwilling to do an offer based on the buyers home selling first, they are almost never done here because the agents say you can't offer below asking price so the buyers agents discourage the practice. This is the first market I've been in where this is an issue. We are waiting for our house to sell and if we find what we want there it would be nice to be in the position to "lock it in" as it were instead of waiting until we have a month to go before closing and runing around trying to make a good buy.
We have a couple that is interested in our house but has to sell theirs first and had a closing date on theirs last week only to find out the buyers finance company went belly up so they are scrambling to fix it. I told my agent to talk to their agent and tell them I'm open to a contingent offer and will not hold it against them on 2 conditions, 1. It stays on the market 2.If a cash offer comes in they have the first right of refusal. I think that is fair....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 07:44 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
It *can* put the buyer in less of a bargaining position anywhere. Sellers often don't want to accept them. But. That is the seller's decision, not the agent's and any offer you want to make should be presented. And that includes a less than asking price with a contingency offer. Your agents job is to present the offer in the best light possible. If the agent is hesitant to present such an offer on your behalf, find another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals