Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:23 PM

16 posts, read 48,149 times

Advertisements

I am an unlicensed assistant in AZ for a broker who owns and operates the company. Can I do BPO's for Fannie Mae... we are a direct listing broker. I am required to pull up the comps, take pictures, and make the valuations my boss/broker will look this over before submitting to Fannie Mae, my name will be on the submission form. I dont feel comfortable with this and asked if I was even allowed to do this and was told it was OK as long as he looks it over before submitting. My gut said no, so I looked it up on the internet and couldnt find a definitive answer, but I found that I am not allowed to get commissions. This really troubles me as I make a salary plus 10% commissions for all these Fannie Maes that we sell and his personal listings. I do not get commissions from other agents that he oversees their listings and sells. All of this is outside and after escrow closes and then he takes payroll deductions out of the commissions. Is this OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 08:55 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,466 times
Check with your Real Estate Commission.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:00 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
In my state you would be conducting real estate activity and it would be illegal. Call the real estate agency and ask.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:59 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Why not use this as an opportunity to get licensed and have your boss pay for it? It would probably protect him as much as you.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Same as Silverfall says in CA. You would be in violation of the RE law. As for paying you a bonus on homes sold, that would be OK in CA.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maefran291 View Post
I am an unlicensed assistant in AZ for a broker who owns and operates the company. Can I do BPO's for Fannie Mae... we are a direct listing broker. I am required to pull up the comps, take pictures, and make the valuations my boss/broker will look this over before submitting to Fannie Mae, my name will be on the submission form. I dont feel comfortable with this and asked if I was even allowed to do this and was told it was OK as long as he looks it over before submitting. My gut said no, so I looked it up on the internet and couldnt find a definitive answer, but I found that I am not allowed to get commissions. This really troubles me as I make a salary plus 10% commissions for all these Fannie Maes that we sell and his personal listings. I do not get commissions from other agents that he oversees their listings and sells. All of this is outside and after escrow closes and then he takes payroll deductions out of the commissions. Is this OK?
Tell the truth maefran. They are a PITA to do and you don't like them and you don't want to do them and you are hoping that you will find a way to get out of it. "What really troubles me is that I make a salary plus 10% commissions..." Really? you want us to believe that you are troubled by making money? ahem ---->

If you contact the board on this, you might endanger your boss' job which would, in turn, endanger yours. I don't think you want that.

If you really don't like doing these BPOs that much, tell your boss. Maybe you can figure out something together.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-06-2011, 01:53 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Your broker would be in a lot more trouble than you, if this is indeed unlicensed activity. I believe it is however, your state may have different guidelines. As 20yrs said, talk to your boss about what is really bothering you, and find a mature solution. I'd get my license if I were you!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:09 PM

No I am not troubled by making money, I am troubled by finding out that this money has been illegal and wouldnt touch it now that I have become aware. I also dont mind the work load of doing a BPO, again it was the legality of it and wouldnt do it if I knew it to be unethical.

Last edited by maefran291; 11-06-2011 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: To make my myself more clear

Old 11-06-2011, 03:03 PM

...and I can assure you that it has been like pulling teeth as an unlicensed person to access the Arizona Association of Realtors or Arizona Department of Real Estate or Fannie Mae to confirm beyond the assurances of my boss what I can and cannot do legally. I do not want my license, I want to work only within my scope as an unlicensed assistant as always.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maefran291 View Post
I am an unlicensed assistant in AZ for a broker who owns and operates the company. Can I do BPO's for Fannie Mae...
Outside of licensed Appraisers, only licensed real estate agents may do BPOs in Arizona:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....32&DocType=ARS

Quote:
32-3602. Applicability of chapter
This chapter does not apply to:
1. A real estate broker or salesperson who is licensed in this state and who, when acting as such, gives an opinion as to the price of real estate if this opinion is not referred to as an appraisal.
Now, if you were just doing research for your broker and he provides his price opinion and signs the form as such, then that may be acceptable. But not if you are signing the form as your opinion of price.

Edit: Just wanted to add, that if you are uncertain about your legal responsibilities, then suggest you consult with an RE attorney.

Last edited by rjrcm; 11-07-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals