Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 AM

49 posts, read 276,341 times

Advertisements

I know that there are tons of condos for sale right now, so when buying one I would imagine it's important to look for one with qualities that would make it easier to re-sell in the future, am I right? In your experience, what are the most important things in a condo that make it more in-demand and easier to sell, besides the obvious location factor? It looks like a condo is my only option right now, so I want to make as good an investment as possible, which I know is hard to do with a condo right now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 10:43 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Of course location is important, however it is what is within that location that is of equal importance. Such as, is the area flooded with too many other condo units for sale? And are there amenities that are being offered that are considerably greater in quality and quantity?

Are the units clean, fresh and bright? Is the 'curb appeal' factor good? what are the by-laws and how restrictive are they. And are they strickley enforced? Have many units been on the market for a lengthy period of time?

How does the asking price compare with others in the area?

One of my sons recently purchased a condo and he did have many questions that were asked and answered prior to his final decision.

I wish you good luck...

Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
The first consideration is to buy something you will be happy in...the best investment in the world makes no sense if you have to be miserable for a few years as a result.

There are a few rules of thumb. The old location truism is as true as ever. Avoid the best in the block or building. Generally the lower half does better than the upper half. Make it pretty...helps a lot in a condo...pretty sells.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:31 AM

166 posts, read 856,025 times
In addition to things already mentioned - the monthly fees and financial health of the condo association should be taken into consideration. For example, one condo association in my area charges $140 per month and has never made a special assessment. Another association fees are $240/month and they are notorious for $3000 and $5000 assessments.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLover View Post
In addition to things already mentioned - the monthly fees and financial health of the condo association should be taken into consideration. For example, one condo association in my area charges $140 per month and has never made a special assessment. Another association fees are $240/month and they are notorious for $3000 and $5000 assessments.
Agreed - really check into those monthly fees. Then compare what you'll be paying each month on your mortgage (PITI - principal, interest, taxes, insurance) PLUS the condo fees. Sometimes buyers are shocked to find that the monthly payments on a small single family dwelling are less than the condo, just because of the maintenance fees, etc.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Agreed - really check into those monthly fees. Then compare what you'll be paying each month on your mortgage (PITI - principal, interest, taxes, insurance) PLUS the condo fees. Sometimes buyers are shocked to find that the monthly payments on a small single family dwelling are less than the condo, just because of the maintenance fees, etc.
And be cautious on a brand new condo. Until a couple of years after the Builder leaves it is very hard to tell what the condo fees actually are. If it is new and the fees are low be very careful. Builders often subsidize the Association while they are selling....

Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 AM

412 posts, read 1,028,750 times
#1. Location, Location, Location

#2. Yes, very important to check the association fees. What did the fees start off as, what have been the yearly raises?

#3. Are there an abnormal amount of units for sale, if so inquire why? Have the condos been gaining in value?

#4. Look over the condo association share areas such as roofs, grounds, windows, drives, etc. any thing that could create an expense to the condo association.

#5. Talk to condo owners within the association, they will be the best source of information.

#6. Ask for the association balance sheet to view the expenses and most of all cash on hand.

#7. Is there a pool or lake, if so what are the liabilities to you as an owner.

#8. Is there a vacant land adjoining the project? Inquire what the plans are for this property? Commercial construction can bite into your equity.

#9. Why is the owner selling?

#10. Is there parking for guest

Hope others add to the list for you. Happy hunting and do your home (condo) work.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:54 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,163 times
Location (city and if it's an apartment style condo, fifth floor or below...unless its a 5 story building lol), number of bedrooms...at least 2, low condo fees, if you can find something that has relatively low condo fees and the fees include all utilities, that's a bonus, percentage of units occupied by renters.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:10 PM

88 posts, read 424,213 times
Default condo

Also make sure it's in a good school district. Many single parents and young couples with school age children buy condos. Also end units are worth more when selling.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:19 PM

13 posts, read 73,891 times
Miami is swamped with condo sales and you can get great prices now - I know I will sound redundant but LOCATION is the key. Oceanfront condos here have a better resale and don't expect to buy for a short period of time to make any money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals