Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No. Legally you are engaging and REPRESENTED by a real estate agent when you are on the MLS. Your representation is limited though. That real estate agent still has fiduciary duties to you and rule obligations to the MLS. With a flat rate deal, you still have legal real estate representation.

There is a 90% chance that the buyer for your house will be there with the help of a real estate agent. I encourage you to learn to deal with agents or you will shoot yourself in the nuts with your attitude. People don't want to deal with jerks.

No. Most FSBO's fail because they don't sell homes on a regular basis and as such fail to overestimate the value of their home, the conditions of the market, and their negotiating prowess. The successful FSBO's are respectful, accommodating, and honest about what their house is really is worth. Those folks do just fine selling their own homes.
Easier to get a good price point without writing a check when you dont have a realitor commission to contend with yet still have the online marketing tools to get the job done. I can be alot more polite knowing that im not cash flow negitive. Whats jerky is wanting to keep usefull tools out of the FSBO's hands to justify your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Easier to get a good price point without writing a check when you dont have a realitor commission to contend with yet still have the online marketing tools to get the job done. I can be alot more polite knowing that im not cash flow negitive. Whats jerky is wanting to keep usefull tools out of the FSBO's hands to justify your job.
We don't keep anything out of FSBO's hands. They are welcome to hire a limited rep agent and get their home on the MLS and R.com. What tools do you feel you don't have access to?

If you don't like that you have to use an agent, of any kind of representation, to access the MLS, then you are welcome to start your own. Zillow is a powerhouse and FSBO's can put homes directly on there for like $50 or something. I think you can post on Trulia to. There isn't anything you can't access. You just think you should get something for free. If FSBO's wanted to pay a $2,000 membership fee and $75 bucks a month to join my MLS, agree to follow the rules and such, I'd be okay with it.

So would you pay $2,000 to join the MLS and pay those monthly fees?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
We don't keep anything out of FSBO's hands. They are welcome to hire a limited rep agent and get their home on the MLS and R.com. What tools do you feel you don't have access to?

If you don't like that you have to use an agent, of any kind of representation, to access the MLS, then you are welcome to start your own. Zillow is a powerhouse and FSBO's can put homes directly on there for like $50 or something. I think you can post on Trulia to. There isn't anything you can't access. You just think you should get something for free. If FSBO's wanted to pay a $2,000 membership fee and $75 bucks a month to join my MLS, agree to follow the rules and such, I'd be okay with it.

So would you pay $2,000 to join the MLS and pay those monthly fees?
It should be a reduced rate as fsbo is only listing one property it makes no sense to pay that much

Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
It should be a reduced rate as fsbo is only listing one property it makes no sense to pay that much
Why? When I go to a yogurt shop just once to buy yogurt, I don't get a discount if I am a one time customer? When I hire a plumber, I don't get a discounted rate for being a one time customer. So you are saying if you get your haircut one time with a salon, they should charge you less because you intend to never come back?

Seriously? One does one time have to do with anything?

In fact, I contend it is the opposite. If there were a bunch of one timers using the MLS and mucking it up with poor data entry and such, the MLS would have to hire more staff, which costs them more money. One timers would cost the MLS's more money.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Why? When I go to a yogurt shop just once to buy yogurt, I don't get a discount if I am a one time customer? When I hire a plumber, I don't get a discounted rate for being a one time customer. So you are saying if you get your haircut one time with a salon, they should charge you less because you intend to never come back?

Seriously? One does one time have to do with anything?

In fact, I contend it is the opposite. If there were a bunch of one timers using the MLS and mucking it up with poor data entry and such, the MLS would have to hire more staff, which costs them more money. One timers would cost the MLS's more money.
So you have to pay 2k for every listing you post, dang thats steep. If its not a big deal then why the need for this thread.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:41 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
So you have to pay 2k for every listing you post, dang thats steep. If its not a big deal then why the need for this thread.
Bottom line here and I'm done you on this thread-you don't work for free so stop expecting others to work for free. Unlike Silverfall, I do wish you would shoot yourself in the nuts. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 AM

948 posts, read 2,790,748 times
So we organize ourselves, create an organization (local MLS, web marketing tools/association) require standards pay monthly fees, yearly fees, with the intent of creating a higher standard. Then we are expected to hand it over to others for a lower rate with fewer standards of care.

Hmmm. Wonder if my mechanic would let me toss him a few hundred bucks to use his heated shop, tools and hoist for the next 5-6 months? Oh, and toss in the ASE technicians support.

I don't blame FSBO's for wanting it that way, but when they expect it, well, can you say hand-out?

Old 01-14-2012, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
So we organize ourselves, create an organization (local MLS, web marketing tools/association) require standards pay monthly fees, yearly fees, with the intent of creating a higher standard. Then we are expected to hand it over to others for a lower rate with fewer standards of care.

Hmmm. Wonder if my mechanic would let me toss him a few hundred bucks to use his heated shop, tools and hoist for the next 5-6 months? Oh, and toss in the ASE technicians support.

I don't blame FSBO's for wanting it that way, but when they expect it, well, can you say hand-out?
Well for air craft repair our A&P lets us use his fork lift to remove floats and put on tires and his tools, far less than full work bill rate since we are doing our own work so its not unheard of. However he does not sign off our work so we take liability for ourselves. Its really not that outragious, the mechanic is making money off his facilities while having to do no actual work himself, its basicly passive income for him.

the reason that realtors are so upset is because getting a realtor licence is not rocket science they may pay into the MLS system but they dont own it, its not their shop so to speak. So basicly the barriers to entry for realtors is really low and they act like pre madonas, try getting an engineering degree and we will talk, or even an A&P for that matter.

Your renting the MLS and then mad becasue the owner is renting it out to others who dont have an ACS licence, but they just need a gargae to get some work done for brief moment, you dont even own the "shop" and your complaining.

Its not a hand out its a lagit buisness arrangement with the MLS owner of which any given realtor is not, they are simply other renters. You guys really did get spoiled in the bubble, better get used to real life, I hope you saved your money.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:25 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Seems there is an easy solution. Realtors should then be able to put their r.com listings on fsbo.com for a reduced fee for both. Since that is the deal they are giving fsbo.com. There is a semantics problem here. It says REALTOR.com...not, "I don't want to pay you to do the job of selling my home".com....For Sale by Owner.com is just that.....which is why after paying thousands to keep my listings on realtor.com since their inception...I dropped them as well and haven't looked back.
You can put any listing you want on FSBO.com, for $70. It doesn't say anything about realtors not being allowed to do that.
This is the same issue with Cablevision/MSG vs FIOS where the feds forced Cablevision to allow the Knicks to sell to Verizon instead of keeping it exclusively on Cablevision. And $299 is alot more than a realtor has to pay to get their listing on realtor.com($75 a month for 20 listings), and many flat flee brokerages charge $195...and if the doors are still open they must get charged less than that to put the listings up. Nothing unfair about how the courts/DOJ forced realtor.com to license to paying people who wan't their listing up.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:22 AM

185 posts, read 335,278 times
Quote:
If realtors are not interested in keeping their clients cash flow positive then sellers are going to try to find other ways of NOT getting kicked in the nuts. Everything boils down to cash flow and if realtors are not cooperating with seller to make a deal mutually satisfactory then people are going to look to do other things. No one wants to take huge financial hits and cripple their families if they can help it.

You as a professional should be sensitive to this, but all your posts towards me are condesending. It seems to me that most realtors are money grubbers and are not interested in mutually benificaial contracts because they have the marketing tied up, they were exploiting a marketing monopoly and raking in the cash, which was fine when sellers could still get a healthy cash flow even with the outragious commission but things have changed and realtors will not hesitiate to point out to sellers that the market has soured and they need to lower the price ...... but the realtor is not lowering theirs to match the times lol.

Its like the plumber still trying to get 45$/hr when everyone elses wages have been slashed, how well do you think that is going to wash? Thoes that are capable are going to figure out how to do it themselves. Im not a troll and my points are sound you just dont like them so your going to pout and take your marbles else where lol.

Misspellings aside, this is a very real sentiment from a lot of home sellers. It would be unwise for real estate professionals to ignore this. Business models of all companies change at some point in its lifespan in response to market conditions or else it risks obselescence and eventually failure , so why wouldn't
this affect commission structures or the desire for alternatives by the ones paying those commissions?

I think what's gotten lost is that the seller is the customer of the real estate professional plain and simple. Now that the market is readjusting itself, sellers are being expected to take the whole hit, and real estate agents are insulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals