Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times

Advertisements

Lots of threats to not renew membership in NAR last year when they slam dunked the "Realtor Party" and the $40 dues increase on the members. For those still in, has NAR made any comments about membership declines?

I feel better every day for having dropped my membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
For me, no NAR (plus state and local) Board Membership means no MLS access.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:54 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
I wouldn't have MLS access if I'm not a Realtor.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
The "threat" for people to not renew is not viable when the vast majority of people "have to" be a member to run their businesses. Until it's made possible for NAR to be an option and not a requirement, they can raise their dues all they want, and most of us have to continue to pay them.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The "threat" for people to not renew is not viable when the vast majority of people "have to" be a member to run their businesses. Until it's made possible for NAR to be an option and not a requirement, they can raise their dues all they want, and most of us have to continue to pay them.
Since most MLS's are run by the REALTOR boards themselves, I don't see optional membership happening soon for most people. You'd have to have several brokerages join together to form a new indie MLS.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I always refuse the voluntary check off which I know they use to fund their advertising campaigns, I can't think of more of a waste of money. I spend my own budget marketing myself and don't ask NAR for a subsidy. Why should I pay to help market one million agents and not myself?

Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Our company requires NAR membership.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
I'm like many that have to have it in order to do business. Anytime there is no competition the situation isn't good. Ours like others I'm sure is a very expensive thing that doesn't operate as well as it should considering what I'm paying. At times they have even done things that work against us rather than in the interest of making our business run better. They know we won't go anywhere else.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
I have to say I've run into no one that has gripes about what that additional $40 is going to cover. Let's face it, banks and mortgage companies got run over by the legislation train and unless Realtors get the upperhand, and do it quickly, it could be the Realtor's income that is limited next. And remember, banks and mortgage lenders had some of the most powerful lobbyists around and still took a large punch in the gut. I personally think NAR saw what was in their future and wanted to take a strong posture before it was too late. Mortgage Bankers have always had strong alliances, but the Mortgage Brokers did not - NAMB was practically wiped out in the mortgage crisis.....and they are the ones that have paid the biggest price. Times have been tough and the ranks are going to thin. There's big battles to fight.

Last edited by SmartMoney; 01-21-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,163 times
It would be nice to be able to drop NAR but since I can't get MLS or Sentrilock access without being a member, dropping membership = out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Lots of threats to not renew membership in NAR last year when they slam dunked the "Realtor Party" and the $40 dues increase on the members. For those still in, has NAR made any comments about membership declines?

I feel better every day for having dropped my membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals