Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:04 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The whole Keller Williams thing is not for me. The whole setup sounds like a pyramid scheme to me. I mean how can this guy stay in business giving the splits he told me and on top of that anyone I bring into the office I get a percent of their commissions for life as well. It seems to leave nothing for the office. How does he pay rent? He'd have to have 300 quality agents in the office just to make a penny.

KW profit share payout is not a simplistic percentage of commission.
It is a share of office profit, which is a hugely different concept than a percentage of their commissions.
No profit, no profit share. Ergo, associates become stakeholders in the growth and success of the market center.

It is not a pyramid scheme in any way. The numbers on which it is based comprise a proven business model.
Profit share is also not an over-riding compelling reason to join the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:45 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The whole Keller Williams thing is not for me. The whole setup sounds like a pyramid scheme to me. I mean how can this guy stay in business giving the splits he told me and on top of that anyone I bring into the office I get a percent of their commissions for life as well. It seems to leave nothing for the office. How does he pay rent? He'd have to have 300 quality agents in the office just to make a penny.
Mike, you are very astute. In the White Paper done by Harvard School of Business, the organization recognized that a minimum of 40 agents are required for an office to make money. Exit Realty in their promotional materials acknowledge that for a broker to make money in their system, the broker must work on an 80-20 split. Exit, however, does a 70-30 split giving 10% to a sponsoring agent.

The KW profit sharing system is almost bogus. If you know anything about a mutual insurance company, then you understand that in order to pay a dividend, or a return of overcharged premiums, then KW, in order to pay a profit share, must overcharge to start with.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
KW profit share payout is not a simplistic percentage of commission.
It is a share of office profit, which is a hugely different concept than a percentage of their commissions.
No profit, no profit share. Ergo, associates become stakeholders in the growth and success of the market center.

It is not a pyramid scheme in any way. The numbers on which it is based comprise a proven business model.
Profit share is also not an over-riding compelling reason to join the company.
Only to add to your post, any business manager will tell you that low producing sales people are cost centers, yet the KW model totally ignores the top producing agent's value to the profit center.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
you're not going to land any existing agent worth having based on an advertisement or a mass solicitation letter. If you're going to be looking for new agents, then I guess I would suggest getting friendly with the top local instructors and asking them who seem to be the best agent-to-bes in their classes and go from there.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Mike, you are very astute. In the White Paper done by Harvard School of Business, the organization recognized that a minimum of 40 agents are required for an office to make money.
Oh darn, I'm going to have to go get 39 more agents. I'll have to "hot bunk" them like on submarines though.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Oh darn, I'm going to have to go get 39 more agents. I'll have to "hot bunk" them like on submarines though.
Just to be certain, that's KW's model. My RE/MAX model works with a lot less too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals