Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 12:14 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times

Advertisements

I don't know enough about this issue to be critical, but on the face, I don't understand why Keller Williams first international (other than Canada) would be to Viet Nam. Then to add what appears to be even more mystery, they announced they are looking to go to Indonesia, South Africa, Egypt, and New Zealand. With the exception of New Zealand, I don't understand the logic. Can someone, without corporate dogma (KW or competitive) discuss the pro's that outweighed what I see as obvious cons to doing business in these nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 12:55 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Only thing I can think of is the concept of doing something no one else is doing. Maybe none of these areas have American chains with a presence there?

Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Just for disclosure, I am a RE/MAX broker-owner.

And for FYI: Map of nations where RE/MAX is: RE/MAX Australia

Old 02-18-2012, 01:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Real estate is bought and sold all over the world. Local companies are competing with each other. Obviously some real estate companies like to be franchisees. I think the leverage available for the investment would be somewhat attractive to the corporation(s) that venture into foreign territory.

Business model: Sell a franchise, collect fees. Repeat.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Real estate is bought and sold all over the world. Local companies are competing with each other. Obviously some real estate companies like to be franchisees. I think the leverage available for the investment would be somewhat attractive to the corporation(s) that venture into foreign territory.

Business model: Sell a franchise, collect fees. Repeat.
Yes, RE/MAX has offices in 87 nations. I understand that, but Viet Nam is communist, South Africa (RE/MAX as been there for many years) is in political chaos, Egypt is certainly as unstable as can be. Indonesia is unstable, and the only solid site that I see is New Zealand.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Default Nothing New

The Realogy brands, Coldwell Banker, Century 21 and Sotheby are present in all these nations and more.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Realogy brands, Coldwell Banker, Century 21 and Sotheby are present in all these nations and more.
Realogy claims to be in 40-50 nations, but CB says it's in 100... I wonder what the real count is.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
There are wealthy people in the poorest countries. I suspect that's who they are trying to sell US property to. There aren't enough people in the US qualified or willing to buy up the huge number of properties on the market (or held off of the market to keep the bottom from dropping out...).

Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There are wealthy people in the poorest countries. I suspect that's who they are trying to sell US property to. There aren't enough people in the US qualified or willing to buy up the huge number of properties on the market (or held off of the market to keep the bottom from dropping out...).
A very good point!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Yes, RE/MAX has offices in 87 nations. I understand that, but Viet Nam is communist, South Africa (RE/MAX as been there for many years) is in political chaos, Egypt is certainly as unstable as can be. Indonesia is unstable, and the only solid site that I see is New Zealand.
Vietnam has seen some of the greatest economic growth over the last 10 years and that is expected to continue. Egypt and Indonesia are also poised for good economic growth. South Africa had seen consistent growth over the years prior to the recent downturn but should see consistent growth in the future.

You go to where the money is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals