Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:44 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,189 times

Advertisements

There is this realtor who is always the one called when a house goes up for sale because she used to live in the development and has a lot of friends here. She sells them all very quickly and gets fairly close to asking price.

What is strange to me is that a couple of us have gone with other realtors. It seems the ones that do, stay on the market for a really long time. The agent sold a house in 5 days in this market<well, it was in June>. She took over another listing when it expired<after being on for 6 months> and sold it in a month. My question ....is she that good?

I was curious as to what she is doing that would be different then other realtors? Maybe she has a better network? Also, her company is a big one where I live..and we haven't had a single showing come through this company...

Last edited by Marka; 09-16-2007 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: per poster's request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Just curious, why didn't you go with her? One of the most important factors in choosing a realtor is that they know the area well which your house is located. It makes a huge difference.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM

I went through my mortgage/insurance companies relocation/moving program. When we moved here we used the same service and had an excellent buyer's agent. I would have used him but he isn't a seller's agent. He was extremely knowledgeable. So we had good luck through them. Unfortunately, I noticed her listings going quickly after we signed our contract with my realtor. We considered going with her when our contract expires because she seems to get things sold.

Last edited by Marka; 09-16-2007 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: per poster's request

Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
This neighborhood "expert" sounds VERY unprofessional. I hate to see agents like that get the business. She's probably selling homes in there on price. It happens all the time. Somebody lists with Agent B (not the expert) at a too high price. The house just sits and they blame their agent. Then, when the listing expires, they decide to relist with Agent A (the self-proclaimed expert) who talks them into listing at a lower price, and voila! the house sells. No magic about that - it was all about price.

This agent may have somewhat of an inside track on the neighborhood, especially if the buyers are local rather than out-of-town. What sometimes happens, too, are folks driving the neighborhood and seeing her signs everywhere, so naturally they assume that's the office that can show them the most listings in there. Then when they set an appt to look, the office will obvioiusly promote their own listings -- and show others only if the buyers specifically request to look at those. Sometimes these offices also have incentives for their agents to sell the company listings.

It's a nasty way to do business, and it will eventually come back to bite her. We had the same thing in a couple of neighborhoods here. But guess what! The top dog agents' underhanded ways and cocky attitudes turned off more than a few people. They're not number 1 anymore.

What I'm telling you probably isn't very comforting, except that you get Kudo's from me for taking the high road.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
I went through my mortgage/insurance companies relocation/moving program.

To me, Its an easy question. Who would give me the best chance to sell my home? You do want the best chance, correct?

Professional or not, 10 years down the road it won't make a difference who it was....

You have to be heartless (especially in today's awful market for sellers). Business is business first and foremost.

Last edited by Marka; 09-16-2007 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: edited quote per OP's request

Old 09-14-2007, 12:29 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Here's an examply of what one of the Top Dog "expert" agents in my area recently did to sell a home in his target neighborhood. Home had been listed with a very good agent for 9 months at $XXX. Agent marketed home extensively and talked to the seller about lowering the price. Seller refused. Listing expired. In bops Mr. TD Agent who lists the home $125,000 below the previous list price!!!! Of course it sold! It wasn't magic. It was a steal of a deal. You wait for the seller to get desperate and then you pounce. This might be why the "expert" in your neighborhood sells houses - perhaps she underprices them.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Here's an examply of what one of the Top Dog "expert" agents in my area recently did to sell a home in his target neighborhood. Home had been listed with a very good agent for 9 months at $XXX. Agent marketed home extensively and talked to the seller about lowering the price. Seller refused. Listing expired. In bops Mr. TD Agent who lists the home $125,000 below the previous list price!!!! Of course it sold! It wasn't magic. It was a steal of a deal. You wait for the seller to get desperate and then you pounce. This might be why the "expert" in your neighborhood sells houses - perhaps she underprices them.

Or maybe there were no offers because that's what the market would bear???

Listen, we don't know all the facts about your situation and I'd reckon the truth is somewhere in the middle. Sellers got desperate, original agents shouldn't of taken the listing if the house was way overpriced, etc., etc....

Old 09-14-2007, 12:36 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Which is worse, your agent relaying a bad experience with you that she had with the other agent, or the other agent talking about another client (which is being relayed to you third-hand)? Either way, they both seem a bit "catty". The other agent may very well be steering people away from your home and/or bad-mouthing listings that aren't hers and other agents. You may think it's unprofessional, but it's just heresy and she's getting the job done in your neighborhood. Your agent is not.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:07 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
Megallan's take was the first thing I thought of. While the other agent may be unprofessional, based on what little we know, your agent doesn't sound much better. I've had issues with other agents related to my listings or theirs but I would never, ever, ever, discuss them with my Buyers or Sellers. One of the "Rules" is you never badmouth another agent. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
Also, just like any other profession or office environment we do tend to commiserate with our peers, but I've never heard anyone use specific names, properties, etc. Maybe the other agent thought this was what she was doing with your Agent and your agent assumed she was talking about a particular seller/property. Could it be that your Agent is the one spreading the rumors in an effort to discredit this other Agent? Could it be that your Agent isn't getting the job done, knows it, and is trying to make you "believe" other Agent is sabotaging?
My point is, you were not a party to the Agent-to-Agent conversations and really don't know who's telling the truth or exaggerating. Your Agent really should not be bothering you with that kind of pettiness (assuming its true). She should get that Agent to want to sell your home to one of her Buyers.
I guess what you really have to look at is who is going to get the job done for you without whining and complaining.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:23 PM

Yea that is what half of my brain is thinking..Maybe it is better to have her on my side..then against me. She sells houses. I want my house sold. She was the agent that said my house was a "steal" right now. The one listing she recently got was on the market for 6 months and they had reduced their pricing many times. I believe when they listed with her, that she listed at a higher price then what they finally reduced too and sold it in a month.

My agent is pretty much done with me I think. We have two weeks left on our contract. We have changed some things and I asked her to take pictures..but she won't..she told me I could. So I guess I gotta take the pics and email them over. I thought that was her job..Maybe I am wrong. I think she has given up and was real terse with me and just wanted to get off the phone. She had told us that in the final month she wasn't going to pay to market anymore..which I don't understand. I would have thought she would have worked her butt off to try and get it sold. We have had 4 showings since the beginning of August.

Last edited by Marka; 09-16-2007 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals