Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 AM

84 posts, read 132,190 times

Advertisements

Please advise on how you'd handle this challenge.

Seller is priced too high. I,as the sellers Realtor suggest a price reduction.

Seller agrees to a reduction, but does not want to reduce the price on MLS.
He wants me to test the reduced price first to see if it will generate offers or interest.
He suggested I call each Realtor that has shown interest, and relay the new price to them. (I have done that)

Has anyone been in this situation before? Any ideas on how to market this new price without actually reducing the price on MLS?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REtoday View Post
Please advise on how you'd handle this challenge.

Seller is priced too high. I,as the sellers Realtor suggest a price reduction.

Seller agrees to a reduction, but does not want to reduce the price on MLS.
He wants me to test the reduced price first to see if it will generate offers or interest.
He suggested I call each Realtor that has shown interest, and relay the new price to them. (I have done that)

Has anyone been in this situation before? Any ideas on how to market this new price without actually reducing the price on MLS?
Thanks in advance
The purpose of a reduction in list price is to attract additional possible buyers. Offering the reduced price only to those who have already seen the house is a poor marketing strategy. It doesn't "test" the price on the market at all. It tells a select group of people that you are desperate enough to sell that you will call them & offer a discount if they will only make an offer, and fails to inform the broader market, which is what is needed to attract the most buyers & get the best price.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:05 AM

Thank you for your reply. This is exactly what I said to the seller.
His response - "You have no proof the new price will sell the house"

Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. This is exactly what I said to the seller.
His response - "You have no proof the new price will sell the house"
No, but you have plenty of proof the old price will not.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
I would point out something about your listing agreement and how you've agreed to relay all changes within X amount of days. Does your agreement have something like that? Per our MLS rules, new listings have to be put within 5 days of the signing, and all updates need to be done within 48 hours. If he agreed to a price reduction, it has to be put in the MLS.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
The way I've seen that handled here is to change the listing comments to "Bring all offers" meaning the seller won't just ignore low offers. I don't like that because it makes the seller seem desperate and I'd rather show a change in price.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill keegan View Post
no, but you have plenty of proof the old price will not.

bingo!

Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No, but you have plenty of proof the old price will not.
Love this response. I'll think fondly of you every time I use it Bill!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Thanks all for for your thoughts. I got the price reduction and we are now under-agreement/ in escrow. I guess I proved my theory of dropping the price = offers.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Thanks all for for your thoughts. I got the price reduction and we are now under-agreement/ in escrow. I guess I proved my theory of dropping the price = offers.
It's not a theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals