Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:18 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,254 times

Advertisements

Wow. You've tried just about everything, eh? Well, then at this point it really is a crap shoot. I will tell you one thing...in my area (northeast Florida) the homes with the higher commission over 3% offered out do not sell any more quickly. We do seem to have more luck with homes offering a nice bonus to the selling agent but that is generally on the new homes that builders are looking to off load. And I'm talking about bonuses anywhere from $8000 to $20000. They kind of sell themselves to begin with but the builders are competing with one another to get their homes shown first. And they do a LOT of marketing to the agents, weekly visiting the offices and emailing/faxing those offers so they are in the minds of the agents.
So, if you are going to offer more of a commission to the selling agent, part of the trick is to keep it in the mind of the agents...which was suggested by someone above. Make sure they all know about the house AND the bonus or higher commission. Your agent can handle that via email and talking to the agents or putting it on the mls "hot sheet" weekly. You do seem to be getting a lot of showings at this point though. My owners would kill to have 8 showings in a two week period, trust me. Another thought...why don't YOU make an offer to the person who had you 'on the top of their list'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 09:43 AM

341 posts, read 1,673,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Another thought...why don't YOU make an offer to the person who had you 'on the top of their list'?
What do you mean by this - I asked my realtor for 4 days on the feedback from this agent - and he said he couldn't get a hold of her
I had her card from visiting our home and called her myself - she (the showing agent gave me this information)
when I told my realtor I talked to her - he got angry and said that I should not be talking to other agents - and we don't want to appear being desparate??
I told him I wasn't being desparate - but that this was a business transaction and she had been to our home 3x with the same client -
SO now you are saying I should talk directly to her?
thanks for your help

Old 09-17-2007, 10:08 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,055 times
I don't like my sellers to talk to the agents directly either... but after 3 visits to your home, your agent should have some information. for goodness sakes, who is she making the app'ts with? When she makes the app't he should have been asking what the deal was!!

Shelly

Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,254 times
I should have been a little clearer, I apologize. I was suggesting that you as the seller put together an offer to sell to the person that appeared very interested, through your agent instead of waiting for the buyer to do it. Seem desperate? What the heck does reducing your pricing $47500 seem like? Keeping the lines of communication open and letting the buyer know you are open to negotiating isn't desperate, it's true. You'd like to sell your house, they appeared interested, you would like to start talking and bump them off that fence. You (your agent) is talking to one potential buyer (their agent) in this manner, not everyone. So, put it out there for the buyer to see and prompt them to come back with an offer. You already know what you are willing to take so what is the difference who starts the negotiating or offers? It certainly can't hurt at this point. You find out what it would take to make a deal work or if the buyer is going to walk. Then you can move on and make decisions from there. As a listing agent, when I get favorable and even unfavorable feedback I ask..."what would it take to make a deal work?". If I'm told "I don't know", I tell them "find out". It can open the door to back and forth communication which is the whole point. Seems a little strange to me that you can get through to the buyer's agent but your agent can't although it does happen. I don't know...just sitting there and not being agressive about 'roping' the buyer in is counter productive in my opinion. I don't see it as desperate at all. I see it as possibly getting the job done.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
I should have been a little clearer, I apologize. I was suggesting that you as the seller put together an offer to sell to the person that appeared very interested, through your agent instead of waiting for the buyer to do it. Seem desperate? What the heck does reducing your pricing $47500 seem like? Keeping the lines of communication open and letting the buyer know you are open to negotiating isn't desperate, it's true. You'd like to sell your house, they appeared interested, you would like to start talking and bump them off that fence. You (your agent) is talking to one potential buyer (their agent) in this manner, not everyone. So, put it out there for the buyer to see and prompt them to come back with an offer. You already know what you are willing to take so what is the difference who starts the negotiating or offers? It certainly can't hurt at this point. You find out what it would take to make a deal work or if the buyer is going to walk. Then you can move on and make decisions from there. As a listing agent, when I get favorable and even unfavorable feedback I ask..."what would it take to make a deal work?". If I'm told "I don't know", I tell them "find out". It can open the door to back and forth communication which is the whole point. Seems a little strange to me that you can get through to the buyer's agent but your agent can't although it does happen. I don't know...just sitting there and not being agressive about 'roping' the buyer in is counter productive in my opinion. I don't see it as desperate at all. I see it as possibly getting the job done.
Palmcoasting, it may seem strange to you because you're probably on top of all your accounts, but I can tell you that there are some awful realtors out there who don't follow up at all. I've had to follow up w/a few buyers' agents before. Not surprising at all.

Caveat Emptor. Sellers must do their due dilligence BEFORE selecting a realtor.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:13 AM

341 posts, read 1,673,100 times
Thank you all for your help and information
especially Palmcoasting - I wrote an email to my agent and asked him to do what you suggested - contact the agent - see what it would take to do the deal, etc.
As to doing due diligence in selecting an agent - I have interviewed 3 and talked to atleast 5 before selecting this one - and he is my 3 rd agent in 8 mos - they all say they will do certain things - but do they actually do them? is the question? sure they list on MLS, put it in the paper, make a website, list on zillow, price below the sold comps, but it appears we have had a streak of no luck of having realtors be agressive and FOLLOWUP - I don't get it - we are in sales and are in our 50"s and have made a great career in it - if we did not followup - we would have been sunk.
I am so frustrated - especially when we have lookers coming through - flyers gone out of tube consistently -
The reason I called last week the buyers agent - is because I can not get anyone to give me feedback

Old 09-18-2007, 12:10 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
I don't know if I agree with the majority here. I think an extra $1000 - $2000 in a realtor's pocket would be MUCH more of a motivator than $1000 - $2000 off the price of the home (which will break down to a savings of $6 - $12/month on a 30 year mortgage).

As much as people hate to admit it, Realtors are motivated by money, and they may show the home more often than other listings, which increases the likelihood of a sale. Maybe make it a limited time selling "bonus" to the selling agent, and make it $3000 - $5000.

But I can understand that if the market's dead in your area, no amount of motivator will make that great of a difference.

I could go either way on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals