Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 PM

7 posts, read 16,943 times

Advertisements

I'd like to sue my broker for damages due to breach of contract. A salesperson in my brokerage took a listing. I found a buyer & we opened escrow. Turns out, the seller wasn't the true owner but the brother of the owner on title, who is deceased. I'd let it go but the listing agent did obtain a property profile, which if he had read it, made it clear he had an invalid listing. Even worse, the listing contract passed broker file review (before I submitted the offer) and 4 people missed it, including the broker. My buyer offered to give more time for probate to clear, but instead we were handed a cancellation form. Broker won't demand commission from seller's brother as several properties/potential listings are at stake. I say this is professional negligence and my broker should pay me. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 02:22 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
No, you don't get paid for something that doesn't close. That is just one of the pitfalls about this business and you knew that going in. I don't think you have a case here. There was a cloud on the title that never got cleared up and the deal fell apart. Property profiles are not always right and things like this happen. You were also part of this transaction, why is the responsibility to catch it only on their side? If you stay in this business it won't be the last one of these you ever see. Forget about it and move on.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:22 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Wink Yeah...

I guess the main question is whether or not you start looking for a desk elsewhere before or after you sue your boss?

Old 05-12-2012, 04:07 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I guess the main question is whether or not you start looking for a desk elsewhere before or after you sue your boss?
No one will take on an agent that sues their broker over this issue.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:09 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
OP how many transactions have you done? The reason I ask because if this scenario is causing you to feel the need to sue someone, you really are in the wrong profession.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:20 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
OP how many transactions have you done? The reason I ask because if this scenario is causing you to feel the need to sue someone, you really are in the wrong profession.
Very true. You can always find fault with someone every time a deal doesn't close. It usually isn't grounds for a lawsuit.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:43 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I'm unclear as to who "handed" you the cancellation form. Was it the brother? One way or another, he obviously wants to liquidate the property once the property goes thru probate. You have a buyer who is willing to wait. I guess I'd do everything I could to stress the "bird in the hand" theory...everyone take a deep breath, go thru the process, everyone wins if they are patient.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:48 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
You have no case, asking to throw good money away and destroy your relationship with your broker. Things happen and it's no fun when you don't get paid.

As Silverfall mentioned, if this upsets you this much you need a corporate job with a weekly paycheck. I have a deal I've been working on for 2 years that's falling apart. You know how much I'll make off that deal ?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:24 PM

7 posts, read 16,943 times
The listing agent (brokerage) instigated the cancellation. This is my 9th yr in r.e. and yes, normally we don't get paid until closing. However, because the brokerage failed to live up to their responsibilities again, I feel they should be held accountable. They have an office policy to always check property profiles, due to this same thing happening in the past. I should also mention that when I saw the name on the contract I asked the listing agent specifically if title was clear and he told me all was fine. That office is very sloppy with their paperwork. Unfortunately the buyers will not purchase the property when probate clears up, as they will not work with the brokerage again, so we cannot just sit back and wait. Needless to say, on the advice of an attorney who had nothing good to say about the brokerage, I moved elsewhere, with full disclosure to the new broker who was happy to have me.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:36 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
If there is no relationship currently between the brother and the former listing agent/broker, why can't you contact the brother directly with an offer to handle both sides for him, perhaps for a reduced rate, when the property is available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals