Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

IN DFW, Houses are selling briskly here in many areas and we are seeing multiple offers with prices tending higher. We are leaving the time of year that there have been low sales for the last 12 months. I have 3 homes (2 with multiple offers) that are having appraisal problems. The market pressure is for increasing prices but can't see it happening with the Appraisers and Lenders being ultra conservative.

It's creating quite a problem that might adjust with better comps in 3-6 months but right now willing buyers and willing sellers are having deals not work. Grrrr....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 06:21 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
It's starting here too. I've had a couple listings with multiple offers at or above asking. I immediately remove the lockbox and make the appraiser call me to get in the house. I bring the multiple offers with me to let them see that it's not just one overzealous person offering high on the house. I also hand them a list of all the updates that the homeowner has done in the last few years. No problems with the homes appraising yet, but a lot of holding my breath. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:40 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Good call Nina, I will start doing that. Appraisers look backwards and agents and buyers/sellers need to look forward.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
It's starting here too. I've had a couple listings with multiple offers at or above asking. I immediately remove the lockbox and make the appraiser call me to get in the house. I bring the multiple offers with me to let them see that it's not just one overzealous person offering high on the house. I also hand them a list of all the updates that the homeowner has done in the last few years. No problems with the homes appraising yet, but a lot of holding my breath. Good luck.
Thats a good Idea.
I'm really glad the sellers agent didn't think to do that when I recently bought my house.
I was able to trim the price I paid by 15K because of a low appraisal.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
We've been having that problem in Boise for a few months now. We've had several houses where, despite having multiple offers, we could not get the value where it should be, and had to sell for less than multiple buyers were willing to pay.

We've also had quite a few where the seller was unwilling to sell for less, so the buyer brought extra cash to closing to make the deal go through. We have no inventory here right now, so the buyers are willing to go an extra few steps when they do find a house they want.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
We've also had quite a few where the seller was unwilling to sell for less, so the buyer brought extra cash to closing to make the deal go through. We have no inventory here right now, so the buyers are willing to go an extra few steps when they do find a house they want.
Same here. Have a listing that went on the market this week at $239k had 2 offers within 2 days and the highest is $2k over list price (great house). I can see an appraisal problem and been putting in these contracts that the appraisal will be complete and communicated within XX days.

We are as busy as 2005-2007 time frame.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,169 times
this is my big fear we are in Denver and house went UC with 2 offers over list price in 2 days. It is one of the few in our neighborhood that is renovated and shows very well. Tihs will be the highest comp in years in this 'hood (bc of the market and original owner homes), but there is NO Inventory. I am hoping the fact that we had so much activity and 2 offers over list will help but I am worried about an appraiser that doesn't know the market. Our buyers loan conditions aren't until JUne 7 and they really want the house. My fear is it will appraise for some crazy low number and then the deal won't get done at all. I'll take that chance over taking a lowball price for my home though.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,980 times
So is it safe to say that the only way the appraisals will increase is if they use sales where the buyer put up extra cash because the seller wouldn't move on price. Otherwise the comps will always stay the same.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:34 AM

739 posts, read 2,949,169 times
how can the buyers put up more cash then? If the house doesn't appraise for their offer, wouldn't they try and negotiate it lower (we likely will not do that)? Realtors help? (FYI our realtor is not as worried as I am)

Old 05-25-2012, 05:11 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
If inventory is low, and buyers love the house, and they have the cash, they might be willing to pay the extra amount to get the house if it doesn't appraise. It's all negotiation and it depends on how movtivated a seller is to sell the house. We get so many cash buyers from the bay area here that some sellers with unique (in a good way) houses will wait for cash if it doesn't appraise but the offers are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals