Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,737,825 times

Advertisements

I have an ex-coworker coming to town looking for a house that's commercially zoned. He wants to live in one portion of the house and have a breakfast & lunch cafe in the other. How would I find something like that in the MLS? If I search commercial, that's all I get w/o the house. There is no option for residential with a commercial attachment. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 03:06 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,282,142 times
check with the local zoning department to see if that is allowed - you may have to find a residence that can be rezoned for commercial use - usually along busy streets where other business already are.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:55 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,771,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I have an ex-coworker coming to town looking for a house that's commercially zoned. He wants to live in one portion of the house and have a breakfast & lunch cafe in the other. How would I find something like that in the MLS? If I search commercial, that's all I get w/o the house. There is no option for residential with a commercial attachment. Thanks.
That's going to be pretty unusual to find. He might be more likely to find a building with ground floor retail and living space upstairs, in an older neighborhood center or a downtown (built prior to the 50's/60's). Those are normally listed on commercial sites in our area, with something in the notes about residential space upstairs. He may want to try checking specific neighborhood centers where he is thinking of setting up, and contacting the neighborhood business association (if the areas in question have them) to see if they know of someone thinking of selling or currently listed. I have also seen homes, just outside of these districts, turned into mixed use retail/residential, but you generally have to have the house rezoned. You might run into opposition to that.

Otherwise, a commercial realtor could help with the search. I would not trust a residential realtor to handle a commercial transaction like that.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:57 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,551,846 times
Check with other realtors in your area. Each area has distinctly different zoning.

Here where I am, almost all commercial zoning allows for a residence in addition to the commercial.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:14 AM

166 posts, read 852,881 times
Does your local MLS have a bulletin board where you can post messages for other agents? We use that when we are looking for some specific type of property. Someone in your area may have a hip pocket. Definitely confirm the zoning through proper channels in your area - do not just take someone's word for it or assume current use would be allowed to continue if the property changes hands.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:27 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,737,825 times
Thanks everyone. After doing some research, I think they would be better off buying a house and renting a space for now. They amount they want to spend is unrealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals